December 20th, 2011

Lori Berenson arrives in U.S. after 16 years

Lori Berenson, the American activist convicted of aiding terrorists in Peru, arrived in the United States Tuesday morning for the first time since her 1995 arrest.

Berenson arrived at the Newark Liberty International Airport just past 7:30 a.m. An hour later, she emerged from the terminal pushing a luggage cart and with her 2-1/2-year-old son at her side.

She exited the terminal without saying a word to reporters and boarded a waiting sedan with her mother and drove off.

A previous attempt by Berenson, currently on parole, to visit the United States for the holidays was foiled Friday because she lacked some paperwork.

She will spend the holidays with her family in New York.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Peru
  1. Portland tony

If I were her, I wouldn't return. Although she believed in what she was doing at the time. It didn't work out the way she envisioned and she is not very popular with the Peruvian people. Wish her well though!

December 20, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Although she may not be popular, she should complete her parole in Peru; that way, it will all be behind her and she can start anew without any fugitive charges hanging over her head.

December 20, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. BOMBO

Do some reading about her. She would have you believe she was a peaceful activist, but she was living with a group of terrorists and supposidly was unaware of the array of arms in the house she was living in, or the detailed plans that her comrades had drawn up to do violence.

December 20, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Well, how on earth could she have known that there were any arms in a house in which she lived? I don't know whether there are any guns in my house or not. Why would I care?
    As for the plans of other residents, there would be no reason for such plans to be discussed. They were just roommates, weren't they?

December 20, 2011 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Heinz Kohler

jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja
      You have a great sense of humor!
      Roomies!!
      jajajajajajajajajajajaja

December 20, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristen

"I don't know whether there are any guns in my house or not. Why would I care?" Are you really that much of an idiot...? Wow...

December 20, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

This woman is a terrorist, bottom line is that she was trailed without respect of her rights by a goverment that wanted to end terrorism in Peru through all means, later she becomed free and was cleaned by a new government that hated the previous one. If she had been properly trialed the first time she would still be in jail. Anyone in the states does what she did, try to take congress hostage and oh my she would get the death sentence.

December 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

Looks like you need the sarcasm font JIF. Kristen didn't get it. She needs to go back to her see spot run books.

December 21, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@JIF:
    Have you been taking too many of you PKN's for that tongue stuck in your cheek again?
    Because this post surely doesn't sound like you *at all!*

December 20, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

–of your–PKN's.

December 20, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    Medication taken "PRN," not "PKN."
    Pro Re Nata, for the thing born: "as needed."
    You know–like dirty martinis.

December 20, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

@JIF:
    I knew that; I was watching a show on the telly and typing at the same time.
    I did it twice, so I am twice as sorry.

December 20, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

I caould probably use a dose of Methylphenidate more than a dirty martini.

December 20, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. BOMBO

I treat all medications "as needed" whether the doctors say so or not. I'm going to be a terrible patient when I get about 20 years older, and I get a lot of prescriptions, as opposed to just one.

December 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Carlos

She is a terrorist, no is a activist or collaborator. Nooo, she is a terrorist, She planned kidnappings and attacks, put a persons underground holds, bombs and dinamite at vehicles... Yo soy peruano y vivi aquella epoca.

December 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Kristen, 3:40:
    Sarcasm escapes you, doesn't it.

December 20, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Daniel

She is and she was a TERRORIST NOT AN ACTIVIST. The same kind of terrorist as Osama Bin Laden could be.
    She was part of the terrorist cell responsible for the Peruvian equivalent of 9/11 attack, to the Tarata street in Lima.
    So please stop the kind words for this piece of...

December 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RUFFNUTT (pit bull trainer)

Osama Bin Laden had a peni-s... she didn't so she could not be as bad as him..

December 20, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Kristen:
    A LA RECHERCHE DU TEMPS PERDU, BEOWULF, and too much Henry James have altered your perception of current writing styles. You should revisit Leon Surmelian.
    @ BOMBO:
    We thank you for your support.
    New fonts are on order.