December 21st, 2011

Death toll from storm in Philippines rises above 1,000

The death toll in the Philippines from a tropical storm that struck the south of the country over the weekend has risen above 1,000, a government official said Wednesday.

The number of dead has increased to 1,002, said Benito Ramos, head of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

The grim announcement comes a day after President Benigno Aquino declared a state of national calamity after visiting areas on the island of Mindanao that were devastated by Tropical Storm Washi.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Weather • World
  1. BOMBO

JIF, I get your points, you speak plainly, but I'm sure you have seen how it rattles some people, how they misinterpret. For the people who get rattled, NO, Darwin never advocated killing off people with handicaps or people who are weaker or less intelligent, but he said nature does weed out the weak of all species at a statistically greater rate.

December 21, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

That's why reading comprehension, as well as logic, should not be ignored as long as one chooses to attend "school" in a no-child-left-behind scheme.
    I know that honesty rattles many humans.
    I never claimed to be egalitarian. In fact, I think that egalitarianism is a major cause of current economic chaos.

December 21, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Today, my thoughts are with the victims.
    Period.
    Not IQ's, not who's employed where, not America's mentality.
    I'll ponder all of that another day.
    Not tryoing to tug anyone heart-strings either; I'm just speaking plainly also.

My thoughts ate with victims: the dead, the barely surviving, the ill, and the disenfranchised.

Right now, I'm feeling extremely bad for the people who have lost everything...especially so close to Christmas; the Philippines being strongly Catholic.

Today is my empathy day.
    It happens occasionally.
    Perhaps tomorrow I'll go back to my cold-hearted ways, as some here have told me I am.

December 21, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

BOMBO,
    I didn't realize that you had relatives there. I hope that things continue to go well for them.

December 21, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Oh, yes, another thing:

Before anyone assumes (incorrectly) that I am one of those who sympathizes and enables pedophile priests, I do not.

I only said that the Philippines is a strong Catholic population, and I feel bad that they've lost so much right before a day that means so much to the ones who *aren't* out there molesting children.

Being proactive, as it were.

Carry on.

December 21, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Hey, JIF.
    I hope you're feeling stronger ever day.

December 21, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. BOMBO

banasy, you are right, one death is a tragedy, regardless of the circu mstances. Many deaths are many tragedies. But you know how these discussions take on a life of their own. It looks like I came into it late, with the discussion already raging. It looks like I may have missed a couple of deleted comments too.

December 21, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

@Bombo:
    Nope, there were none deleted.
    This place is *always* interesting.
    Sometimes discouraging, but always interesting.

December 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Avser Bastian

NEW – NOT LIABILITIES OR DISCRIMINATION, BUT INSTEAD ASSASSINATIONS !!!

http://myshortbiography.blogspot.com/ LEARN TRUTH ABOUT EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION, UNITED NATIONS, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL AS WELL AS NEW WORLD ORDER(MULTICULTURALISM = TERRORISM) GOVERNMENTS !!! NOT THERE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS, BUT TO DENY YOUR RIGHT TO EXISTENCE !!!

http://myshortbiography.blogspot.com/ ABDUCTIONS / RENDITIONS / BRAIN CHIP IMPLANTS / BLACKLISTING / BLACKBALLING / MK-ULTRA BRAINWASHING against civilian population TODAY / ASSASINATIONS and much more per WHO, WHY, AND HOW !!!

WHY TO ACCEPT LIABILITIES FOR CRIMES COMMITTED WHEN WE CAN SIMPLY ASSASSINATE OUR VICTIMS(YOU) THANKS TO HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS AND FREE PRESS/MEDIA(most severe censorship ever !!!) !!?

December 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. s kel

My little neices are half black half philippine lol ,we love each other dearly.

December 21, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. s kel

CNN STOP LETTING Bastain spout his crap on here.

December 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. RUFFNUTT (pit bull trainer)

you think they would have storm shelters over there..

December 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BOMBO

Apparently you can't post the word for male chicken.

December 21, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. tormented

rooster rooster rooster rooster rooster rooster rooster rooster

December 22, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |