December 23rd, 2011

Chinese dissident receives 9 years in prison

Beijing (CNN) - Veteran rights activist Chen Wei was sentenced to nine years in prison Friday by a Chinese court in one of the harshest sentences involving a dissident this year.

A court in Suining in southwestern China's Sichuan province found the 42-year-old guilty of inciting subversion of state power.

Chen was detained in February after he published essays online that mentioned the 1989 Tiananmen protests, calling for freedom of speech, democracy and political reform.

"Everyone has opinions, but he was brave enough to express his openly and was punished for it," Wang Xiaoyan, Chen's wife, said in an interview with CNN. "I feel no sadness, just pure anger at how this all played out."

FULL STORY

Filed under: World
  1. rooney

These types of stories make me glad I live in the USA.

December 23, 2011 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Here's my reply

Did ya ever notice how elevators only go up and down? I think it has something to do with people being too lazy for stairs but energetic enough to walk a short distance from the elevator. Maybe they need to wear roller skates too.

December 23, 2011 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. Corin

You can bet someone had it in for this guy. Nothing like hired thugs to really make you feel like you were born is a really shltty place.

December 23, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

The more we ask the USA government to take care of us, the more we ask to be treated the way this Chinese dissident was treated.
    Either I am responsible for my survival, or the government is responsible for it.
    I know that this is should be obvious, but to many USA citizens it is invisible because they want either their checks or their government-made jobs.

December 23, 2011 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Wittington

The underpinnings of any society rely upon the willingness to refrain from violence against other people, or else we would have anarchy and people dying everywhere. No one can survive when it's "every man for himself" or didn't you learn anything about how to control yourself growing up?

December 23, 2011 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. BOMBO

China – the only truly communist country left in the world. I don't count Cuba and North Korea, they're just monarchies who call themselves communist.

Wittington, where does JIF say anything about violence? I think you must have meant to reply to something else on a completely different thread. The "here's my reply" guy was more relevant, and he's nuts.

December 23, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Daryl

Hey *heres my reply*, DOES youres go to the top floor?? What does elevators have to do with chinese oppression?

December 23, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ BOMBO,
    Of course you're right about my post, but I can see how someone might try to twist individual responsibility into a call to anarchy.
    It's the same "logic" used to answer a call for individual responsibility with, "but what about the guy in an iron lung who lost his legs to diabetes and had no educational opportunities, huh, what about him–you would kill him, huh?"
    BOMBO, you think entirely too well. It's a curse, but thank you for having my back.

December 23, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Nah, basically "Here's my reply" is fun.
    Being nuts has it's rewards.

December 23, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

@JIF:
    "It’s the same “logic” used to answer a call for individual responsibility with, “but what about the guy in an iron lung who lost his legs to diabetes and had no educational opportunities, huh, what about him–you would kill him, huh?”

I get what you're saying! But when I read that, I thought of our inventive little fun troll Jim.

December 23, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Now watch somebody come along and post, "@ JIF: how dare you say that BOMBO is cursed because he think's we'll? JIF, you are nothing but a Republican capitalis oppressor pig whose jealous of smart people lik us are bless 2 be!"

December 23, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    Now you don't know, huh?
    Is this JIF's making fun for himself, ot is this Jim's trolling of JIF?
    I gave you enough clues to know.

December 23, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. BOMBO

China – proof that communism only works if you skew it to enslave most of the workforce. And if you have an outside affluent capitalist market to buy your goods.

C'mon lefties, I'm baiting you....

December 23, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Go on, guys–get BOMBO!
    Start with Guilt, then move on to "right thinking."

December 23, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

lol @ BOMBO! Do you miss george patton? Good morning everyone and early MERRY CHRISTMAS!

December 23, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi chrissy.
    Merry Christmas.

December 23, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

Hows my hero feeling today Joey? You sound well, but then you usually do even, ive noticed, when youre feeling bad. 🙂

December 23, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |