December 24th, 2011

Thousands take to Moscow streets, calling for fair elections

Thousands of people took to the streets Saturday in Moscow, braving bitterly cold weather to demand for fair elections after what they claim were rigged results earlier this month that returned Vladimir Putin's party to power.

The protest, organized primarily through social media and word of mouth, comes on the heels of an announcement by President Dmitry Medvedev of sweeping political reforms, an effort to address discontent following the December 4 parliamentary elections.

The latest mass protest follows one earlier this month, when tens of thousands of people across Russia turned out to protest the election results that kept Putin's ruling United Russia party in power, albeit with a smaller majority. Police estimated crowds in Moscow at 25,000, while organizers said at least twice as many participated.

More than 40,000 people were expected to turn out Saturday, according to a Facebook forum discussion moderated by organizers.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Russia • World
  1. Santacat Claws

@banasy
    Reminder has been assimalated and stored for future reference. But dang girl, you are too good at that. It's kind of scary.

December 24, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@Santacat:
    I'd been (sort of)reading his posts for a year. They never changed!

It's kind of how my daughter can recite 'Goodnight Moon' to my Granddaughter without looking at the book; once you've seen his posts under all of our names several times a day, you tend to remember them.
    Unfortunately.
    Sorry to bring up those scary memories...
    The use of !!! After every sentence is a give-a-way, also.

I won't do it again.
    Unless you ask nicely! 🙂

December 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gung hoe

@ banasy ok ok I give in Phillip and jazzz may you both find in your stockings candy canes that have been dowsed in fuel oil .So you two can remember all the bitter pills youve fed us all year!

December 24, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

It is Avser Bastion.I looked.We are not the only site he “visits”.

@gung hoe:
    Don't be bitter. Be *better*. 😉

December 24, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Merry X-MAS

•。★Christmas★ 。* 。
    ° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
    ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
    ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門| ˚And a happy new year:')

December 24, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. That's Lovely

🙂

December 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Merry X-MAS

@ that"s lovely, Thanks 😉

December 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. raven

At the risk of sounding sappy, I would like to say to my blog pals (and even those whom are not exactly pals): It truly makes me happy visiting and sharing our thoughts and ideas here. You are each unique and wonderful. In fact, even the trolls make me laugh.(sometimes). I hope each and every one of you spends this Christmas doing exactly what you want, in the place you want with whomever you want.(I'm gonna wallow on the couch; maybe even my jammies all day...thats my heaven. Peace on earth and goodwill to all.

December 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Santacat Claws

@ raven
    How are you doing ? You know me better as bobcat on here. I don't see you commenting too much anymore, but it's always a pleasure. I want to send my heartfelt wishes of a merry christmas to you and yours, and hope the new year will be kind.
    Tomorrow I plan to do like you and lay around. Since the weather is so nice down here, I'm even going to fire up the BBQ. A couple cristmas ribeyes will be fine.
    So enjoy yourself in whatever you choose to do. And get ready fo 2012.

December 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Name*joe blow

I see.

December 24, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. raven

December 24, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

ty my sista from anutha mutha, a very special MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and to all my blogger buddies! A special place in my heart to my FRIENDS here! Muah!

December 25, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  13. gung hoe

@portland tony merry christmas my friend your post are very interesting thanks for being a blogger friend.@PHILLIP AND JAZZZ I hope my earlier post gave you two some time to think merry christmas and hopefully you two can work on being better people

December 25, 2011 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |