The death toll from the tropical storm that lashed the southern Philippines just over a week ago has risen further, the government said Monday, as hundreds of thousands of people continue to receive assistance from evacuation centers in the stricken region.
The number of dead has increased to 1,171 from 1,100 over the weekend, the Philippine National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said in a statement posted on its website. And the number of people injured as a result of the storm has more than doubled to 4,594 from 1,979 at the weekend, the council said, putting more pressure on already stretched relief agencies.
The United Nations said last week that the storm has created "huge" humanitarian needs on the island of Mindanao, the scene of the worst devastation. It has made an appeal to raise $28 million to deal with the immediate problems in the area, with hundreds of thousands of people displaced in and around the port cities of Iligan and Cagayan de Oro.FULL STORY