December 30th, 2011

'No chance' of 9/11 museum opening on time, New York mayor says

Work on the National September 11 Memorial Museum has been halted over a budgetary dispute, making it impossible to open on time, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.
"There's no chance of it being open on time. Work has basically stopped," Bloomberg said during a press conference Thursday.
The museum was scheduled to open on the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terror attacks.
The Mayor blamed the holdup on "disagreements" with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which is responsible for a portion of project's financing.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: U.S. • Uncategorized
  1. Andreas Moser

Never on time, never on budget: public procurement.

December 30, 2011 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tcr c2

Lets see now, if a majority of these people were making a salary that the project could handle than it would be finished on time like it should, what are the laborers on this project making per year? Probably about 65.000 a year? Damm no wonder its ran out of money

December 30, 2011 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. BOMBO ©

I'm embarassed to say that I've never spent time in New York, just passed through once. I've got to make sure to go and see that when it's done, along with the WTC memorial. And oh yes, everything else New York has to offer.

December 30, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Bombo ©:
    I've missed your part of Canada, just passing through.
    I regret that you missed New York City when it was at its peak.

December 30, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

When the World Trade Center was new, I was flying in and out of NYC two or three times a week. Those two towers were what told me that I was home.
    One night I was traveling with a glamorous singer when we landed at La Guardia. Manhattan, dominated by the WTC, had the appearance of a showcase of diamonds. Circling the city, she said, "it's amazing how something so dirty can be so beautiful from a distance."
    I had many friends, performers, who were young when I was, and I associate touring with those friends, some now deceased, and the now absent towers.

December 30, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brusquely

How many people are drawing annual salaries from 911 Memorial? How many of those full time, six figure, 911 Memorial employees are retired NYC employees and/or friends of Bloomberg? It has to stop!

December 31, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |