Body found is suspect in Mount Rainier shooting, police say
Police confirmed Monday that a body found in the snow is Benjamin Colton Barnes, the suspect in two shootings in Washington.
January 2nd, 2012

Body found is suspect in Mount Rainier shooting, police say

[6:28 p.m. ET]:  National park officials said Monday afternoon that the man found dead in Mount Rainier National Park is Benjamin Colton Barnes, the man suspected of shooting and killing park ranger Margaret Anderson the previous day.

Washington authorities had said there was a strong probability that a male body found in the snow Monday is the person of interest wanted in the shooting death of a Mount Rainier National Park ranger, a law enforcement official told CNN.

Detective Ed Troyer with the Pierce County, Washington, Sheriff's office said it would take several hours before authorities could confirm the identification.

The discovery came after a manhunt in snow-covered and wooded terrain for the man, whom authorities had sought for questioning in the fatal New Year's Day shooting of park ranger Margaret Anderson.

The bloodshed began with what the spokesman called "a normal traffic stop" around 10:30 a.m. PT (1:30 p.m. ET) Sunday. But the suspect didn't heed a request to pull over, prompting a ranger to radio ahead requesting assistance.

Anderson, 34, responded to that call and set up her patrol vehicle as a roadblock.

"When he (the shooter) arrived at that spot, he got out (of his car) and fatally shot her," said Mount Rainier National Park spokeswoman Lee Taylor.

The suspect then ran into the spacious national park, whose border is about 50 miles southeast of Seattle. The park - the centerpiece being the 14,410-foot Mount Rainier, which is considered an active volcano - comprises 235,625 acres in the Cascade Range.

The man was also wanted in connection with a shooting Sunday in the Seattle suburb of Skyway that left four people wounded, CNN affiliates reported, citing the King County Sheriff's Department.

Read the complete story on CNN.com

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. ficheye

I'm sure he had PTSD from going to a war that had no foundation because he needed a job. After he got all the training he came back and shot a woman. It's the American way.

January 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fairplay99

You could have expressed it more intelligently

January 2, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ivan

at least it was a woman

January 2, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. doc

Don't you just LOVE his picture? Yep...one of America's finest "warriors"... makes me sick to my stomach.

January 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. opinion8it

t-baggie gone wild!!!

January 2, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fairplay99

Only a braying mule would express it that way

January 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Only an idiot would say something like that. Let me guess you voted for the Usurper in Chief and believe everything he says. How is that hope and change going for you bout now.

January 2, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jj

A shame he had to kill the ranger. What a waste. He looks like he would have fit in well with the prison society. At least he spared us the extended notoriety, trial and prison expenses. May he quickly be forgotten. Unfortunately, our loose gun laws will allow an unlimited number of deranged killers to step into the headlines.

January 2, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • denim

Loose gun laws, is it? Clueless.

January 2, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry M

And when cops turn and fire upon peaceful resistance we should bow down and call them masters. Guns don't kill people and deranged killers don't need guns. You solve nothing by removing guns from the situation. I suggest a tighter social network trained to detect early warning signs for violent behavior. Given the right environment everyone can flourish.

January 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

I live in Texas and our gun laws are indeed "loose". As an avid hunter and gun collector I do considerable trading in firearms. In Texas it's legal to walk into a gun show with a weapon slung over your shoulder and a price on the weapon. A person can walk up and hand you the money and you hand them the weapon – no questions asked. I'll assume the seller must not sell to minors but I've never seen that challenged at a show. Make no mistake, our dealers follow the letter of the law with background checks, identification, questionaire, etc. I have seen one dealer instructing one gang-banger type (sue me) on how to get a friend to register the weapon since he wouldn't qualify. This dishonesty is certainly rare. But trade between individuals is very loose and totally without record-keeping. I buy ammunition through the mail – no records what-so-ever.

January 3, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. warren

i am guessing all the idiots that make comments are poor white trash who praise hitler and jim crow

January 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • ed

You made acomment

January 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • kosh

Funny, the article didn't mention anything about a white supremist connection. Anyone can get guns, legally or not, just because he had assault type weapons doesn't automatically mean he's a white supremist. Killing the ranger was a true pitty, but I rather wish he had been taken alive, if in fact they did find his body, he needed locked away as an example of what happens to those who kill needlessly. Although aside from combat, I can't find a need to kill anyone.

January 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Then I can only assume you are a poor white trash idiot that likes Hitler and Jim Crow laws since you made a comment.

January 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • ElmerGantry

You made a comment. By your own statement that makes you an idiot.

January 2, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. WB

Just a person who seriously lost his way, relying on the only thing he knew, guns.

January 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • doc

"Seriously lost his way????" Oh puhleeeezze. He was trained well by our military.

January 2, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ivan

I love hearing when things like this happen 🙂

I know you guys might think that to be strange.. haha,
    what a beautiful day 🙂

January 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Larry L

I'm a life-long hunter and gun collector. Still, when I see these photos I wonder if we're doing it correctly. Here we have another tatooed tough guy armed with military/police weapons. For me, it's not so much the guns that appear to be the problem but rather the culture associated with "black" guns. Losers seem to gather around the "militia" mentality. I know all of the hard-core NRA types talk about the 2nd Admendment but I still need to ask – what are we doing wrong here? If we're ever going to get the non-hunter/gun owner to understand our reasons to own these weapons we must determine why the weapons are becoming symbol for lawlessness and sedition. Why do these people keep surfacing and why are they always armed with these weapons? Why do we tolerate militias which appear determined to overthrow the United States Government? Is sedition a right implied in the 2nd Admendment? I wish the Supreme Court would simply state this fact if that's the reason for their interpretation of the law.

January 2, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry M

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most shootings are done with handguns...

January 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry L

I assume that is correct. He had a semi-auto, high-capacity handgun in the photo. Handguns are easy to hide, fast loading, easy to shift between nearby targets, and quite effective at close range. Some handguns have extended magazines to greatly increase the capacity. Personally I'm concerned about the cult-like fascination we have with military and police firearms. I watch them fondle these weapons with an almost phalic association... Creepy. The right-wing managed to drive the prices of these weapons through the roof with their talk of "Obama coming for your guns" and other nonsense. To my knowledge this President signed one order allowing people to carry weapons in wilderness areas – nothing more. We've got some good laws, but we have a few loopholes that need closing.

January 3, 2012 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. bigboxes

Good.

January 2, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Michelle

why do they have to wait a few hours when he has tattooos? they couldnt match those?

January 2, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mmmmm

is that a clothesline of children's socks tatooed across his chest?

January 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jackson

I bet he shot himself. Coward!!!!!

January 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry M

Coward? How dare you say that. You never know if you will be put in his shoes. I would hope that I would have better judgement, but I haven't walked his path. I haven't felt what he went through everyday. He was trained to be a killing machine, taught that some peoples lives don't matter. All I'm saying is you don't know his story. Normally people have a pretty good reason why they do crazy things. Is it wrong what he did... yeah, but was he the only one doing wrong. Just about anyone that negatively affected this guys life is equally to blame.

January 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Peter

seems the dude had a gun fetish, too many American movies that glorify violence. also a touch of mental illness from boot camp over exhurstion

January 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ed

Ivan you need to be locked up. you might find a friend who will take care of you the way you should be

January 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. doc

Look at the guns this guy is flashing. So much for the right to defend yourself. As a stand up comic friend of my has said... If you have to have guns like that to defend yourself...you must really be a jerk .... HA! He should'nt have the right to have a butter knife!

January 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |