January 3rd, 2012

The Iowa caucus: 6 months, 13 debates, millions of dollars in the making

After six months of campaigning, 13 Republican presidential debates, and millions of dollars spent to flood the airwaves with ads, voters finally get a say in the race for the GOP presidential nomination.

Tuesday night, Iowa Republicans will gather at 809 caucus sites across the state, casting ballots for their party's presidential nominee.

The caucuses, the first contest in the primary and caucus calendar, most likely will not determine the eventual nominee, but they will shape the race for the White House and will be closely watched by the national press corps and Republicans nationwide.

Mitt Romney, making his second bid for the nomination, tops most national polls, and spoke confidently at a Monday rally of his chances to win the party's nomination.

"We're going to win this thing with all of our passion and strength, and do everything we can to get this campaign on the right track to go across the nation and to pick up other states and to get the ballots I need and the votes I need to become our nominee," he said in Marion.

Romney's language on Monday was the strongest to date when discussing his odds. While the former Massachusetts governor hasn't spent much time this cycle campaigning in Iowa, he has stepped up his efforts in recent weeks. Romney wraps up his Iowa campaigning on Tuesday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Politics • U.S.
  1. Andreas Moser

Could it be that this little state is getting too much attention?

January 3, 2012 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. .com cop

Dont worry andrea theyre coming to a city or state near you! Geez just remember all the T V ads oooohh how i miss them.SARCASM

January 3, 2012 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. fernace

Millions of $$'s that could feed many families, allow many to stay in their foreclosed homes, send their kids to get the Luxury of an Education! Bleech, I'm sick of millionaires pretending they know what my family needs! They're in it for themselves & that should be their platform! "I'm trying to get rich & powerful!" That would at least be honest!!

January 3, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

His name is Andreas.
    Just saying.

@fernace:
    I agree.
    If they would just say those kinds of things, I would respect them a bit more.
    I still wouldn't vote for them, but I'd respect them a bit more!

January 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mark L.

I voted for President Barack Obama in 2008 and I will vote for him again in 2012. To all who are delusional, and actually believe the GOP will prevail, keep right on smoking your crack pipes. Although President Obama has lost some credibility and popularity, I believe he will still come out ahead. If President Obama really wants to close the door on the GOP, he should drop Joe Biden and select Hillary R. Clinton as his running mate. This would seal the election in favor of the Democratic Party for the White House.

January 3, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gung hoe

I Really dont care for any of the bozos that are running this time around.But with that said I kind of leaning towards writeing in the aflac duck.None of the candidates on the GOP I dont trust,and with the current president he is spending this country into obliveon and we cannot continue to do that also he really has a problem with accepting responseability for any of his actions after 3yrs hes still blaming george w bush for anything that goes wrong but accepting the cudos for what goes right.Mr president you cant have it both ways,it takes a man to own up to his screwups!also during a interview while he ran before he said and I quote If I cant turn this economy around in for years I will be a one term president.End quote!So mr president you have not turned the economy around so be a man and own up to words and step aside and let hillary run,thats who shouldve won last time!!

January 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gung hoe

Oh also for the people complaining about the GOP cadidates spending millions to get elected,the president is hopeing to have a billion in his war chest.So its not just the GOP that spends to much money.The money could be used a whole lot betteq than to see who can have themselves on the airwaves the most.

January 3, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bigwilliestyles

Mitt Romney is the republican Al Gore, only twice as stiff and slightly dumber. The repubs don't even want him! Obama/Biden for sure!

January 3, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mark L.

@gung hoe – Couldn't agree with you more about Hillary. I seriously believe she would have turned this economy around for us. When her husband was President in the 1990's, our nation's economy was flourishing....

January 3, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Obama has more integrity is his little finger than the last administration, plus every candidate running against him, has collectively put together.

I am glad he will win a second term.

January 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |