January 5th, 2012

Official: Arab League monitors made 'mistakes' in Syria

Arab League monitors made "mistakes" during their fact-finding mission in Syria, Qatar's foreign minister said on Thursday.

Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani told reporters that the league is seeking technical assistance from the United Nations for its mission, lambasted by many critics for failing to halt violence.

He didn't elaborate on the errors, but he stressed that the mission was of an "observatory nature, not to intervene in stopping the violence."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Syria
  1. Pollack

@Rooney...Poland could have used our help at the start of WWII as well. Seems to me the US gov. waited over two years before pitching in. Oh, lot's of Americans were doing business with the Nazis during the war...if you call that pitching in. Profiting by helping the enemy got so bad, US Congress had to pass a special Trading with the Enemy Act! (if you can imagine that)

January 5, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Teri

I agree with Bobcat (in a hat). They have just as much firepower as we do. We need to keep out of this one.

January 5, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

@IndiGirl...get with the times. Corporate armies have been around for decades, and in recent years have been growing by leaps and bounds. Blackwater and Associates was just the first well known one specializing in preemptive strategies, and Hurricane Katrina disaster "relief" work. The demand for corporate paid military (aka soldiers of fortune) to replace returning troops has never been higher. Your text seemed to say that this is something that SHOULD be done, ignorant that it already has been done. (doing) 🙂

January 5, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

And @IndiGirl. Last I heard your kids weren't drafted. So in effect, they sent themselves. And there's no shame in a young man deciding to go into teaching or general laboring than go to War. There are enough who choose the military for financial reasons to more than make-up for the youngsters who stay. And I know that parents egg their kids to join. My grandpa was in the Navy his entire life. (even after they forced him into retirement. he he) Both my dad and uncles...all of 'em tried to recruit me. Recruiters even came to HS and tried to bribe me with a college education/bonus BS. My younger brother fell for it. So did my uncles. And dem guys ain't the same no more. Plus Clinton dodged to Canada anyway. Dang. And he still became an CIA agent. See? You can choose to stay and even become President some day.

January 5, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. IndiGirl

Soldier of fortune, huh? Okie dokie @Philip. I'll have to tell my friends that are returning from Iraq about that one. LMAO! They'll be happy for some employement.

January 5, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. rooney

@bobcat(in a hat) & Pollack: I don't know, as that wasn't me posting at 3:51pm. It was my troll. I would never misspell the word little.

January 6, 2012 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |