January 6th, 2012

Report: 11 killed in hot air balloon crash

Eleven people were killed in a hot air balloon crash near the town of Carterton, New Zealand, Saturday morning, according to Radio New Zealand, which quoted local health officials.

A witness said the balloon was in flames as it descended, according to Radio New Zealand.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: New Zealand
  1. IBON4IT

Everybody thinks the same way as you. Just like nobody can tell what you're thinking, you can't tell what they're thinking.

January 6, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hamma

As someone who has crewed and flown in hot air balloons in the US and Internationally, for the past 15 years, without an incident, they are truly an awesome experience. Based on this story, there is not much info or details as to what may have caused the incident. My sympathy goes out to the families who has lost a loved one.

January 6, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • rad666

hot air This may be a stupid question, but why would they use flamable material in hot air balloons? -- Should use lead? That does not burn.

January 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Playjojo

For my sisters 50th birthday, that's what we did. It was the most incredible experience ever. It hard to explain, but you have been enveloped by such quiet. Our guy went low for a bit so we could skim the trees, and even going at a slow pace, you really feel like a bird. It was fall in Vermont, and we landed in a guys yard that was very small. He came out and couldn't believe it, he was thrilled. The whole experience was awesome and I can't wait to go again.

January 6, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gb

sad. just terrible for all the families....

January 6, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TheMan

This is Exactly the reason I will never step foot in a Balloon. Too many variables.

January 6, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh Jass©

Like a car. Gas. Clutch. Brake. Other cars.

January 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Than you shouldn't vcall yourself the man.

January 6, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. baloonist`

Stupid people! When will they learn you dont fly with the Baloon. You only hold it in your hands!

January 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JT

There are risk in everything some worst than others. There are over 40,000 deaths in the U.S. cause by vehicle accidents, how oftrn do we think about that?

January 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sunil

Ugh. I hate balloons and I hate flying. I don't mind cars. The problem is this – and I know everyone is going to argue with me, but when you step in a car you have some hope – because even though you know that the chances of something bad happening in a car are probably higher (given the number of cars/roads/highways/other automobiles/falling trees/broken bridges/ice/sleet/snow etc) you still feel that at a relatively slower speed and being close to the ground – you may survive.
    Now on a plane – ugh – what chance do you have – apart from knowing that its a highly reliable piece of equipment you are sitting in – nothing else – if something goes wrong – its over – I wonder if there has been a study done on mortality rates per mile traveled per person traveling – because it seems that all these studies geared towards telling us that planes are safer seem to be fundamentally flawed as volumes are much smaller when say compared to cars. Just saying – I may be wrong here – and yes I'm trolling. My deepest condolences to the people who lost loved ones here and who had to suffer this terrible tragedy.

January 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sunil

I'm still wondering whether my fear of sitting in these contraptions is unfounded – so question – would you rather sit in a car with a faulty gearbox or in a plane/balloon which has some mechanical problem?

January 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris in NC

re: "...when you step in a car you have some hope ..." Hope? I don't get it. All around me are Christians blathering on about an afterlife and then whine like all getout when Death comes. Life good? Death better? Make up your minds!

January 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

In this world 154,889 people die every day. Falling from the sky is no more painful than starving to death or dying of cancer. The only distinction here is a spectacular visual that made the news.

January 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. who knows

The worst might have been the getting killed part, and not the descent. Who can be sure?

January 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chris in NC

Yeah. Remember that US Air 757 that plummeted into PA in the turbulence from a 747 ahead of it? Took them 22 long seconds to hit the ground. Hopefully the G's knocked them out before they hit.

January 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. glu

Law of averages at work here.

January 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jdvoo

why was there 11 people in the hot air balloon? i've only seen 3-5 people in a hot air ballon.

January 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Williams

I've seen some high capacity balloons recently. This may have been one of them.

January 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GyroWatt

Not weird to think that way. Weird to fixate on thinking that way, though.

January 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joe

"Reports of the crash, which happened nearly 90 kilometers northeast of Wellington, were first reported shortly before 7:30 a.m., Radio New Zealand reported." You are reportedly and idiot.

January 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Playjojo

I think you pass out from lack of oxygen first. I could be wrong, but should I ever fly, that's what I'm telling myself.

January 6, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |