January 9th, 2012

2 killers pardoned by outgoing Mississippi governor

Outgoing Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour pardoned two men convicted of murder, a state official said Monday.

"David Gatlin and Joseph Ozment had received full pardons and they were released yesterday at 1 p.m.," said Suzanne Singletary, spokeswoman for the Mississippi Department of Corrections. Both men were serving life sentences, she said.

The families of the men's victims told CNN affiliates WAPT and WLBT they are outraged by Barbour's decision.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Haley Barbour • Mississippi
  1. banasy©

Ummmm, okay, there is no full story.
    Am I crazy, or is this the same governor who, just a couple months ago, had people vote on a bill that would state when life started (at conception)?
    And didn't the people of Mississippi vote it down?
    So is this his response, a final FY to the people of Mississippi?
    Letting two murderers walk free?

January 9, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ¬©‚ĄĘ

@ banasy:
    You are neither crazy nor incorrect.
    Mississippi is the state where my life began.
    You know where I live now. I served my eighteen years there.

January 9, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@JIF:
    From what little I know of you, you were lucky to survive after age 3...AND you committed no crime.

January 9, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ¬©‚ĄĘ

@ banasy:
    You remembered the 3.
    Right.
    They picked that for the Trinity.
    Perfect.

January 9, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@JIF:

Indeed.
    Trinity, my ass.

January 9, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ¬©‚ĄĘ

After all the Tebow numerology elsewhere today, I looked in a small KJV Bible to see what was on page three: man expelled from the Garden of Eden!
    My being cast down from that porch onto concrete and broken glass at the age of three was a sign that I should leave Mississippi.
    Thank you, Lord.

January 9, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Portland tony

Not a story. No facts...No reason...No nothing....for all we know, he could have pardoned two dead men?

January 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Well, the article said they were released yesterday at 1pm; I would take that as a sign they were still alive.
      I would think if they were pardoned post-humously, it would have stated that.

January 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

This being CNN, and it being Mississippi, though, who knows?

January 9, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Ah, the numerology thing.
    Here's another 3; kiss my ass.
    I've feeling a bit ornery today.

(Although I'm glad you left Mississippi.)

January 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BOMBO ©

The full story is linked, but I understand some have trouble downloading it on their devices. From the full story link:

"In 1993, WLBT reported, Gatlin walked into the trailer where his estranged wife, Tammy Ellis Gatlin, lived and shot her in the head. The woman's friend, Randy Walker, survived a gunshot to the head."

and "Meanwhile, the family of Ricky Montgomery told WAPT they received a call from the department on Saturday reporting Ozment's pardon. Montgomery, 33, was a store clerk who was slain on the job. Ozment was convicted of his murder."

That's it, no special issues that would seem to justify early release, let alone a pardon. Except that they were both working in the Governor's mansion. So they knew how to suck up to the boss.

January 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Sucking up.
      Yeah.

January 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

I just noticed your copyright!
      Well done!

January 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Portland tony

Maybe they were all cousins?

January 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Oh, boy.
    There's finally more information when you click on the full story link.
    Both of them were working in the Governor's Mansion.

Sorry, but this stinks to high heaven.

January 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BOMBO ©

Maybe he's putting together a criminal gang to work for him after he leaves office.

January 9, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@Portland Tony:

Cousins?
    Cue the banjo music.

January 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jojo

Cops probably lied to get them co victed

January 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ¬©

The only post in support of Barbour. And look how lame it is.

January 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Yeah, that's it, jojo.
    Well done.

January 9, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. fernace

I'm in full agreement w/your 1st post, banasy! This is Barbours middle finger in the air, as he leaves office!"Take that you peons, for voting down my bill, in which I decided (his actual statement) life starts at conception! Now see how you feel about life w/2 murderers on the loose!" Of course I'm projecting, but it certainly seems like a possibility! Before all the pro-lifers get on me, I know that life begins at conception! It's a scientific fact, Barbour didn't "decide" it! Howerver, extending personhood status to an embryo is taking things too far & is in fact an open attempt to end legal abortions! The release of the killers lets us know just how precious life is to Barbour! It's only precious when he gets his way!!

January 9, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |