January 9th, 2012

Nigerians protest end of fuel subsidy

Police and protesters clashed across Nigeria on Monday amid a nationwide strike and widespread protests over a government decision that more than doubled fuel prices in the largely impoverished country.

Among other incidents, police reportedly fired on protesters in the northern Nigerian state of Kano, injuring at least 13 people, according to a physician who was among the protesters.

Demonstrators were gathered listening to speeches when police "suddenly came and some were shooting and some were throwing tear gas," Shehi Ali, vice chairman of the Nigeria Medical Association, told CNN.

Kano Police Commissioner Ibrahim Idris denied that officers fired on protesters. He said that officers were forced to use tear gas on a "miscreants and drug addicts" who had tried to storm the governor's residence.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Nigeria • World
  1. Tabitha

As casual observer i meant to add. You really dont need to go to so much trouble though, and im glad someone else has pointed out those facts about Cheneys company, Haliburton. Thank you!

January 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzy

Yep good COVER banasy!
    See ya

January 9, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tabitha

I been commin on for about 2 months but cant tolerate the trolls much.

January 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tabitha

Ok now thats the jazz i know, lol and banasy your good but i dont think even you could post as yourself and me @ THE SAME EXACT time, sorry jazz ur WRONG! And you are so much nicer as bugs ears btw!

January 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ahkmed the Terror Guy

Wowwy. Informative postings v microbloggings. What next? Gossipy? Chit chatty? No for to be discuss subject in detail? One quicky topic posting and then feet in hurry to run to badness? How you feel if American gas prices double as America's oil goes to Nigeria? "Feel"...as in *fellow feeling*. (No offense Mr. Sandusky(s)

January 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tabitha

@ Ahkmed, gas is going up rather quick lately!

January 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzy

Ahkemed the price is alread 4 bucks on average! what does have to climb to for Americans to start talking about the REAL issues that matter and NOT some BS that doesn't end my world!

January 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ahkmed the Terror Guy

@Tabitha. Finally. An American who knows what's going on in the world. Your postings are extemely informative. Now if only everyone for to be follow your example. 🙂

January 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tabitha

Whats the REAL issue, we were talking about oil refinerys, and HALIBURTON, were we not? Those are factors that lead up to gas prices!

January 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ahkmed the Terror Guy

True Tabitha. If Nigerians had access to their own natural resources instead of them going to USA, Nigerians would be some of richest people in the world! Instead their children starve. How you feel your child starve as Aerica's resources exported to Africa?

January 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

So far, I have posted exactly twice on the blog, not including this one.
    Sure Jazzy, I am every troll on every thread.
    I am also every other blogger on these threads, except you and Philip, of course.
    I am Bombo. I am JIF. I am Bobcat. I am gung ho. I am Scottish Mama. I am chrissy. I am Hugh Jass. I am everyone!

I WAS reading about the information, until once again....

Tell the truth, I thought Tabitha was YOU!

This is getting very old.
    Anyone who can write a decent sentence and is slightly critical of either you or Philip has got to be ME, right?

This is why we are not friends.
    You leap to erroneous conclusions, and you are unapologenic about doing so.

I'll leave you and your various names and Philip and his various names to post amongst yourselves.

Have a life.

January 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tabitha

I would feel exactly how i do now, p/i/s/s/e/d off! What i want to discuss is HOW do we change it? We still have an extremely large number of crooked politicians that barely manage to find their way outta the bathroom, much less getting anything done!

January 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tabitha

Whoa! @ banasy, im sure somewhere in that statement is a compliment but i just cant seem to find it!!!

January 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@Tabitha:

I was erroneous assumption.
      I am sorry.
      I realize now that you are you, and nobody else.
      And, Welcome to the blogs.

January 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jazzy

Tabitha, Tell me what your knowledge is on this issue?

January 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tabitha

@ jazzy, know way near enough im afraid! Thats what concerns me, how do we implement changes that are fair? I have a very dear friend from Nigeria, and every day she lives in fear for family members still there! She sends most of her pay to them, its sad!

January 9, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |