Police: Shoe only clue to teacher who went missing after run
Sidney, Montana, residents have created a Find Sherry Arnold page on Facebook to coordinate searches for the teacher.
January 9th, 2012

Police: Shoe only clue to teacher who went missing after run

Police and residents are combing through the town of Sidney, Montana, in hopes of finding a teacher who went missing after going for a morning run, leaving behind no trace besides a lone shoe, the city's police chief told CNN.

Schoolteacher Sherry Arnold, 43, left her home Saturday morning for a run along her normal path, but she never returned, Sidney police Chief Frank DiFonzo said.

DiFonzo said that teams have been searching areas around the eastern Montana town since Arnold's disappearance using dogs and aircraft. He said the National Guard was also assisting.

Police described Arnold as 5 feet, 10 inches and 140 pounds with black hair. She was last seen wearing a blue sweatshirt with a white stripe and red nylon pants with black leggings.

Police are looking into different scenarios regarding Arnold's disappearance, but they believe she may have been abducted or possibly hit by a vehicle, DiFonzo said.

"Everything's accounted for, her personal things, her vehicle is accounted for," Bob Burnison, the assistant police chief, told CNN affiliate KRTV-TV in Great Falls. "We just feel that there's something drastic, either happened to her or something to that effect, why she wouldn't have made contact back."

The police chief said there was no evidence the shoe remained behind after an animal attack, one scenario that residents had been floating.

Christine Mullen, 26, a CNN iReport contributor, said that she went to the site of one of the searches, where thousands turned up to help.

"We've got horses going out and ATVs and people just going out on their own," Mullen told CNN. "There's a lot of pasture, dirt roads and farmland to cover."

Mullen said she doesn't know Arnold but she feels the impact of her disappearance.

"In this community when something like this happens, it's not just a small thing where a few people are involved," Mullen said, adding that some employers are even allowing people to leave work to take part in the search. "Everybody is involved."

Mullen's iReport about Arnold attracted strong response from readers, including pleas from residents to help search and bring the teacher's disappearance to light.

Facebook group: Help find Sherry Arnold

"We're such a small community, and crime is absolutely unheard of," Mullen said. "We don't lock our car doors. (We're) completely shocked."

Police said they will continue to search for clues.

"We're going to keep going until we can get some answers here," Burnison told KRTV. "We just want to find her, you know. Our hope is she's OK."

1. Lisa Lucas

Please correct her name–Sherry Arnold (not Allen)

January 9, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Christy Nelson

Please correct her name in this article. It is Sherry ARNOLD, not Sherry Allen. thank you.

January 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kristen Gabrielson

Her name is Sherry Whited ARNOLD, not ALLEN .

January 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ashlee

**Note, her name is Sherry Arnold, not Sherry Allen! Thanks so much for publishing this!

January 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brittany

As others have noted, her name is Sherry Arnold, not Sherry Allen. I hope to see this corrected ASAP. Thanks, CNN, for reporting on this story.

January 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nunya

Yeah, unfortunately, she's probably a goner.

January 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

way to be positive about the situation, jerk

January 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Northeast Montana Resident

NIce....bet you sleep great at night, most jerks do.

January 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joe

Just thought I should point out that her name is Sherry Arnold, not Allen.

January 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mike

The description says she has black hair, but the photo shows light brown hair. Is this an old picture? Is her hairstyle different now?

January 9, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • teresa, ohio

@mike: you bring up a great point i have always wondered about on drivers licenses. I think if a man or woman Dyes their hair, it should be noted in a special box. This lady's natural hair very well could be BLACK and yet her photo shows lightened hair. It seems it might make searching for anyone difficult.

January 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. randy

Could have been a bear attack?

January 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Northeast Montana Resident

An animal attack hasn't been ruled out, but we are a long way from bear country up here. There are miles and miles and miles of open country here.

January 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. teresa, ohio

Such a crazy world anymore... I pray she shows up safe and unharmed. I know for me, if I venture out for a good hour or so walk, I never leave home without my cell phone and it's TURNED ON. Her car was found, but did she by any great chance take her phone with her? Check her last incoming calls.

January 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Saoirse

You think her name is Sherry Arnold?

January 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Saoirse

Seriously though, I hope she's okay. From what I've read so far, I think abduction is the most probable scenario.

January 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

I hope she is found.
    I think the possibility of a hit and run seems likely...
    I hope not.

January 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. boilly

I don't believe she took her phone on her morning run. This is a small town with less than 5K near the North Dakota and Canadian borders. Bears in this area would be very abnormal and there is no indication of an animal attack.

January 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bill

I pray that the family and friends of this woman will find strength even in the hardest of times right now. My post has nothing to do with god or religion, I just wish these people well. We are all on this journey of life and tragic and unexpected things may happen. Without the good people in the world like those who actually care about finding this individual, there really would be no point to living. Peace to all.

January 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Northeast Montana Resident

Well said. The response of the community, and I mean all 148,000 square miles of Montana, has been overwhelming! Sherry is a strong woman. She has survived cancer and being a middle school teacher. The outpouring of help and concern is a testament to this remarkable woman, we should all be so lucky to have touched so many lives. Thank you for your prayers and peace to you and yours as well.

January 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

Good to see your community is still together. I'm from the northeast, but this just shows location is irrelevant here. I would hope for the best no matter what part of the U.S. I come form.

January 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Travis

Ignorance at its finest, Nunya.

January 9, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Travis

Sorry, that was aimed at a previous post by a guy named Nunya

January 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |