Police: Shoe only clue to teacher who went missing after run
Sidney, Montana, residents have created a Find Sherry Arnold page on Facebook to coordinate searches for the teacher.
January 9th, 2012

Police: Shoe only clue to teacher who went missing after run

Police and residents are combing through the town of Sidney, Montana, in hopes of finding a teacher who went missing after going for a morning run, leaving behind no trace besides a lone shoe, the city's police chief told CNN.

Schoolteacher Sherry Arnold, 43, left her home Saturday morning for a run along her normal path, but she never returned, Sidney police Chief Frank DiFonzo said.

DiFonzo said that teams have been searching areas around the eastern Montana town since Arnold's disappearance using dogs and aircraft. He said the National Guard was also assisting.

Police described Arnold as 5 feet, 10 inches and 140 pounds with black hair. She was last seen wearing a blue sweatshirt with a white stripe and red nylon pants with black leggings.

Police are looking into different scenarios regarding Arnold's disappearance, but they believe she may have been abducted or possibly hit by a vehicle, DiFonzo said.

"Everything's accounted for, her personal things, her vehicle is accounted for," Bob Burnison, the assistant police chief, told CNN affiliate KRTV-TV in Great Falls. "We just feel that there's something drastic, either happened to her or something to that effect, why she wouldn't have made contact back."

The police chief said there was no evidence the shoe remained behind after an animal attack, one scenario that residents had been floating.

Christine Mullen, 26, a CNN iReport contributor, said that she went to the site of one of the searches, where thousands turned up to help.

"We've got horses going out and ATVs and people just going out on their own," Mullen told CNN. "There's a lot of pasture, dirt roads and farmland to cover."

Mullen said she doesn't know Arnold but she feels the impact of her disappearance.

"In this community when something like this happens, it's not just a small thing where a few people are involved," Mullen said, adding that some employers are even allowing people to leave work to take part in the search. "Everybody is involved."

Mullen's iReport about Arnold attracted strong response from readers, including pleas from residents to help search and bring the teacher's disappearance to light.

Facebook group: Help find Sherry Arnold

"We're such a small community, and crime is absolutely unheard of," Mullen said. "We don't lock our car doors. (We're) completely shocked."

Police said they will continue to search for clues.

"We're going to keep going until we can get some answers here," Burnison told KRTV. "We just want to find her, you know. Our hope is she's OK."

1. Mother Goose

brier rabbit get peter-peter ass on the phone right-nah and rhyme his ass a tune to leave them damn human women alone!

January 9, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marci

NOT FUNNY AT ALL. I PRAY FOR HER SAFE RETURN.

January 10, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Karen S.

kude, why don't you get a life, oh that's right you don't have one and that makes you heartless too. Get back in your hole and pull the dirt over you as none of us want to hear what you have to say!

January 9, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. SIdneyite

To the owners of all of the rude comments: Please consider that we have quite a few people from all over the country here in Sidney and the surrounding area helping us pull the oil from the ground that will eventually help run your cars and your economy. Some of those people might be someone you know. If a newcomer went missing like this, we'd turn out all the same to find him or her, even if they were your loved one, and even if you treated us like this today, that's just the kind of people we are. We are here to ask for your help in returning someone very dear to this community. Give us the same courtesy you would expect if your wife, mother, sister or friend disappeared one morning doing the same thing she had done for years without incident, or go elsewhere.

January 9, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mandy

Well said..I agree and I hope she is found safe and sound

January 9, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marlene

very WELL said SIdneyite! at this time we don't need cruel and heartless people saying ugly things. A woman is missing and we need to find her

January 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. PA Bucks County Resident

What grade did she teach? If she taught older students, could there be a student with a vendetta? I don't like to think that way, but I have taught students who have held grudges after being disciplined. I've had my mail box bashed in a few times by a past student in the school I worked at in New Jersey before I moved to PA. It was a highschooler who eventually dropped out of school due to discipline problems regarding other teachers and incidents in the school. Regardless, I pray for her safe return. She is lucky to have such wonderful friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors who are supporting her so valiantly at this difficult time. God Bless.

January 9, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marlene

My grandson who is a senior at the high school here has her for a teacher and he is shook up as well as other of her students.

January 9, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alexis Dynneson

She teaches basically every grade. No one would ever hold a grudge against her, I guarantee it. She was the most wonderful teacher I have ever had. I'm not just saying that because she is missing, i'm saying it because it's true. Everyone who knew her absolutely adored her.

January 9, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiffany

I pray she is found safe and returned to her family. I wonder if she ran w/any type of GPS running gear? she is built like a runner and out that early for a run is typical of a dedicated runner, which makes me wonder if she did have some type of gps for runners. I pray she is found safe. (it sure doensnt sound good) Sometimes those gps/mile tracking are inside or laced onto the shoe...if she ran w/this type of equipment, was it on the shoe left behind? if so that would make me question someone who "knew" her.

January 10, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. The Philip Fan Club

wow what a asswash!

January 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Philip Fan Club

@Philip loosen the top button on your shirt its stoping the flow of blood and oxygen to your drug damaged brain.

January 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Liebchi

Ladies, please run with a buddy. How many missing person's cases involving women start this way? Criminals are opportunistic. Please protect yourself.

January 9, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Williston Resident

@Sidney Resident. I couldn't agree more. The whole community, even here in Williston was once that way. I never had to worry about locking my car, or my house. Nothing for that matter. And now we are stuck being scared when we do even as simple of an outing as the grocery store. Times have changed, I just hope they find her and bring her home safely. This is so scary. Never in a million years would I have thought this would happen to us.

January 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Luckyanme22

I hope this lady is found and returned home safe. I feel bad for her family, students and community. Its sad that people cannot even go for a jog and they disappear like they fell of the face of the earth. I dont think its safe to go anywhere alone anymore. No matter it be a woman, child or man. A lot of people just disappear.Its so troubling until they are found. Shes gotta be somewhere. Keep looking, my prayers are with you. Hope she is safe.

January 9, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Robin Bush

I hope they do find her. What a shame. God bless all the people who are looking for her and being so brave.
    God bless you all again.
    It is so scary now a days. You never know what will happen.

January 10, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Nichole

Kude, Nunya, Yannaes, and all the other idiots that that feel the need to post unwanted and immature posts- Here is a simple thought for pea sized brains. Why dont you find a better way to spend your time then being so insecure that you have to post mean and nasty things about a women you probably dont even know. Why dont you get off this site, see a counselor, and get some help. Because clearly you dont have a heart. I would consider deleting your comments and maybe even grow up a bit and apologize to the friends and family of this women for your inconsiderate and pointless remarks. If that was to much to comprehend just remember karma is a b**ch.

January 10, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  12. Nichole

Kude, Nunya, Yannaes, and all the other idiots that that feel the need to post unwanted and immature posts- Here is a simple thought for pea sized brains. Why dont you find a better way to spend your time then being so insecure that you have to post mean and nasty things about a woman you probably dont even know. Why dont you get off this site, see a counselor, and get some help. Because clearly you dont have a heart. I would consider deleting your comments and maybe even grow up a bit and apologize to the friends and family of this woman for your inconsiderate and pointless remarks. If that was to much to comprehend just remember karma is a b**ch

January 10, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

That these offensive comments could be made in the USA is a vivid indication of the degeneration of our country's society.
    I doubt that these antisocial beings are aware that their perverse mentality has a causal effect on our nation's economic plight.

January 10, 2012 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. bill

People are getting way off the subject here. Let's just hope for her safe return. It is clear that evil does exist in the form of some thoughtless people who post here. Either way, it's always been about those who care.

January 10, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. SidneyGal

I was born in Sidney, moved away for a while, along with others that have done the same, and moved back because this is a safe community. It is a wonderful place to raise a family. We are not blind to the dangers that could be out there. This community is very bright and knows the dangers that can be. Our community is a safe one, has been for many years. Yes we left our doors unlocked and yes we left our cars unlocked, because we knew that we were safe. This type of crime does not happen here. This is a big blow to our community and there are many many people that are sadden and angry by this. For those that have never lived here you will never understand fully what we are going through, its like a piece of our heart is missing. Sidney is a caring community and close as well, we know our neighbors, we know the families that have grown up here. So please restrain from the rude unnecessary comments, you do not realize how much you are hurting someone by posting them. Sherry is a amazing woman and a friend to all of the community. She is a fantastic teacher and all of her students love her dearly. Everyone is devastated by this and we pray everyday and night that she is returned to us unharmed. We pray that she will be found. So please show some respect.

January 10, 2012 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

SidneyGal, I do truly hope she is found safe. I don't know the area of course but I'm wondering about mine shafts etc (maybe she fell in the area but was able to throw out a shoe?) I don't know.

But what catches my eye in your post is how you mention how safe your community is but you are not blind to the dangers. I'm not banging your comment, I'm just trying to build on it from my perspective. Yes, NO PLACE in the world is truly safe but people still think their happy, little town is immune to the dangers, leaving doors unlocked, etc. THEN when something like this happens they cry how can this happen here? Because it is the real world and you left yourself vulnerable to thinking it couldn't happen there! That is how. A few years back in MY happy little neighborhood, EVERY car on the street was broken into except mine...why not mine? Because I grew up the daughter of a cop and was told to keep my doors LOCKED even in the garage!!! No one else on the street locked their doors and they all had things stolen. Do I think nothing can happen to me because I keep my doors locked? Like you said, heck no, I knowthe dangers that can be out there, I just choose to make it harder for those dangers to get to me and my family. Yes I'd love to live in a world where I felt safe enough to keep my doors and windows open at night, it is my right, it's my home but in this day and age it is obvious my rights don't mean squat when it comes to people who feel they have the right to commit crimes against others! So sad that "this kind of crime can't happen here" statements seems to be more of the norm in the news lately. When will people realize that YES this kind of crime CAN happen here and it just did....but still praying that we are not talking a crime here. Just because she was a much loved teacher by many also does NOT mean she may have been loved by all! Most certainly she could have given a student in your happy little town a bad grade, a detention, etc. Maybe like many inwardly troubled teens these days (who by the way live in every corner of the world) he/she snapped and did something, or a parent even. Rather than committing suicide like some do, he/she took it out on "the last straw" I don't know. Again praying for her safety and that none of this is true but I just hate hearing all the time these terrible things come up that "it just couldn't happen here!"

January 10, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |