Tebow's passing yards bring up biblical number
Tim Tebow celebrates as he walks off the field after his Florida Gators won the BCS National Championship game on January 8, 2009. In the black below Tebow's eyes, John 3:16.
January 9th, 2012

Tebow's passing yards bring up biblical number

Early Monday morning, the top item on Google Trends hot searches is John 3 16, the passage from the bible that reads:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

The number two and three searched terms on Google? Tebow and Tim Tebow.

It's surely all coincidence, but how many yards did Tebow throw for as he led the Denver Broncos to a 29-23 overtime win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the NFL's divisional playoffs on Sunday night?

Answer: 316.

And what did Tebow have on his eye black as he led the Florida Gators to victory in the 2009 national championship game three years ago to the day of his performance in Denver Sunday night?

Answer: John 3:16.

And while were looking at numbers, let's look at dates, like December 25, the birth date of Jesus Christ and the man who caught Tebow's overtime pass and scored the winning touchdown Sunday night, 24-year-old Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

In the next round of the NFL playoffs, Tebow, Thomas and their Broncos travel to New England to face the Patriots, a team that dominated them in Denver late in the regular season. The Patriots figure to be even bigger favorites than the Steelers were to defeat the Broncos Sunday night.

But don't count out Tim Tebow to produce some amazing numbers of his own.

Check out Time.com's gallery of John 3:16 in popular culture, including Tebow as a Florida Gator.

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Pro football • Sports • Tim Tebow
  1. mofo

Great game. Sorry Stoolers. Karma from 2005

January 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ron mcloughlin

God, we'll have a mass conversion to Christianity if Tebow wins the Super Bowl for Superstar JC!

January 9, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Doleck

Great article. It takes many life times to nurture a soul. We all play a role in helping each other grow. Whether it be as a staving child or a person with great means. No way is Mankind a series of mistakes.

Evidence of God is all around you. The fact that you can look at a sun set and think it beautiful is proof enough. Many souls are here for no other reason than to help you find faith. Many others are here to help you strengthen yours. Of course the creator of the universe could end world hunger, suffering and war but what possible purpose could your life have then?

January 9, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Aren't you supposed to be in school today getting ready for your graduation from pre-k to kindergarten? I'm going to tell your mommy that you're playing on the computer.
      And don't worry, by the time you reach the ripe old age of 10, you will not believe in fairy tales any longer...I promise!

January 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

Huh? Are you retar ded? Are you saying I am going to end all of those things? If so, what the f&*k do we need god for.

So you are saying that god puts us here, f&*ks everything all up, and then expects me to fix it.

What a dick move!

January 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. OrangeNblue

First, I am a Christian and I love Bronco football and I am a big Tebow fan! However, am I going to say God cares about football and who wins or loses a game? No. Do I believe God is using Tim Tebow and his courage to stand up for his faith in God? I most certainly do! How? Well, it certainly has people talking about it doesn't it! Tim Tebow is not the only Christian NFL player nor the only Christian athlete, but the spotlight of has been placed on him by, "dare I say it", Liberal Media. The media has gone after him because of his faith and most of it is negative talking about how horrible he is and just waiting for him to fail. He is up front about his Christian faith. Of course other Christians are going to embrace him and support him for his courage to unashamed of his faith in an sport full of poor examples. The thing is, Christians will support Tim Tebow whether he wins or loses. Christians did not put Tebow in the NFL spotlight! Do I believe that player numbers declare divine prophecy? Does it all mean that Broncos will win the Super Bowl? Of course no, but who knows how the season will end. Regardless, people will continue to bash Tebow for his courage to stand up for his faith in God. In the end, I can't help but say, "Tebow most certainly John 3:16'd it", and it has the whole country talking about God and Christianity.
    @ VisionQuest ... how much do you give to the starving people around the world to help save them from dying? It is not God who causes all the evil in the world, but man himself. Evil and wicked rulers, dictators and tyrants cause people to suffer, starve and die, not God. Christians have done more to help the hungry, homeless, deserted, hurting people of the world than anyone else. One day, It will all end though and we will all be held accountable for own actions and faith or lack there of.

January 9, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

Wow...you are seriously delusional. Please put down the kool-aide. I bet you vote too which scares me more than anything.

January 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • OrangeNblue

@ JJ
      Please point out my delusion, I would love to have your expert advice. Yes, I do vote .... whoooOOO! Be afraid JJ, be very afraid!

January 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"The media has gone after him because of his faith and most of it is negative talking about how horrible he is and just waiting for him to fail. He is up front about his Christian faith"

Cite one article in the "Liberal Media" where anyone says Tebow is horrible and that they hope he will fail.

We'll wait.

More ridiculous nonexistent "christian persecution"

January 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • OrangeNblue

@ Derp
      Now, I did not say they "said" they hope he will fail. I said "waiting" for him to fail, there is a difference. Look at all the trash talk after the two losses. Now, you only wanted one citing from Liberal Media right? Hmmm ... Bill Mahr, yes he does count as Lib Media even though he is a talk show comic loser!
      Now, when you gonna sit down and shut up? Maybe we can discuss those options when all of you are ready to comply yourselves. Right?

January 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Svetlana22

To think that "god" is working for/with/through tebow is ridiculous. The kid prays, good for him. But it doesn't mean diddly squat on the field. The only thing we should care about is if he can accurately throw a pigskin. everything else nonsense. He gets paid millions of dollars to play football, not spread a "message."
      And Christians, maybe you should try to be historically correct while trying to recruit...Jesus was not born on December 25th...

January 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Now, you only wanted one citing from Liberal Media right? Hmmm ... Bill Mahr, yes he does count as Lib Media even though he is a talk show comic loser!"

I said the liberal media, not a comedian. Please, that's like citing Stephen Colbert. What is Jerry Sienfeld's position on Tebow?

All Tebow is doing at this point is making a fool of himself, and making average people think christians are nuts.

January 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Please point out my delusion, I would love to have your expert advice"

Maybe it was when you said....

I can't help but say, "Tebow most certainly John 3:16'd it"

Yeah, that was when we figured you were just another bible nutter.

January 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • MakeThemEatCake

this Liberal Media you hold in such low esteem has not thrust Mr. Tebow into the spotlight. His play on the field has. His exceeding expectations in a sport that did not expect him to have any success, has put him in the spotlight. As a sports fan, if you do not cheer for the Denver Broncos you, in that context, hope he does fail (your team will win). As a person, the work he says he is doing to help the poor in other countries is commendable. This specific story is a tongue in cheek story akin to alien visitors helping the Egyptians build the pyramids or the world ending in 2012 because the Mayan calendar ran out of days. God has no input into a sporting event other than to give an athlete something to fall back on if the tide of the game is going against him (or her).

January 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • MakeThemEatCake

and another thing. how is it that he can look so bad on one pass and have deadly accuracy on another? Could it be he is playing the crowd for all they are worth? Screwing up on purpose just to stage a "miracle" comeback when all looks lost. I am waiting a Broncos fan to spasm and start speaking in tongues so that Tebow can draw out the demon at halftime. *sarcasm for those of you who take your religion extremely serious*

January 9, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • MakeThemEatCake

and another thing. how is it that he can look so bad on one pass and have deadly accuracy on another? Could it be he is playing the crowd for all they are worth? Screwing up on purpose just to stage a "miracle" comeback when all looks lost. I am waiting a Broncos fan to spasm and start speaking in tongues so that Tebow can draw out the demon at halftime. *sarcasm for those of you who take your religion extremely seriously*

January 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kimbo

I doubt that God cares who wins the game. But God is using Tim Tebow to spread His word to the world. So win or loose the game...Tim Tebow is a Winner in Christ!

January 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Antony

Actually it's the other way round. Tim Tebow is using god to spread Tim Tebow's fame around the world.

Gotta hand it to Timmy though, he's using a tried and true marketing ploy invented by televangelists.

January 9, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • OrangeNblue

@ Antony
      Please explain how you have come to this conclusion that Tim Tebow is using "God" to spread Tim Tebow's fame around the world. Are you implying that if you claim to be a Christian you need to sit down and shut-up?

January 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"But God is using Tim Tebow to spread His word to the world. So win or loose the game...Tim Tebow is a Winner in Christ!"

God's strategy is backfiring. Most people think the whole thing is silly, and it makes christians look even sillier than ever.

"Are you implying that if you claim to be a Christian you need to sit down and shut-up?"

That would be preferable.

January 9, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Antony

@OrangeNblue

Point 1: Tebow = Televangelists = Personal Gain

Point 2: By Jove, I think you've got it!

January 9, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mathias

I think this is a wild coincidence, but nothing really special. Tebow is an okay quarterback and should be proud of his win, but he's going to have a tough time against the Patriots if he doesn't stay focused.

January 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tim

Tebow started off good in the Steelers game but eventually slipped up in the second half. They wont be able to hold New England next week if they continue to do this. GO PATS 🙂

January 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mark

Don't forget about Psalms 31:6
    I hate those who worship worthless idols. I trust in the LORD.

January 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"I hate those who worship worthless idols."

Like football players?

January 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eric

I'm a pastor and Jesus was NOT born on December 25th. His actual birthday is unknown. December 25th was decliared Jesus' birthday by the Catholic church to help non-Christians convert due because their pagan holiday was on December 25th.

January 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

Yes, and make sure you keep christ in christmas, except that christ wasn't really born on christmas.

January 9, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • RealityCheck

Nothing like slapping a little anti-Cahtolic bigotry in there , eh um....."pastor?"

January 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. annebeth

Look Tebow is cute and this is kinda exciting during a rather dull Jan. day. Have no idea if John 3:16 & 316 yards means much to God but its the big topic of conversation here at work. Rather talk about Tebow than how many people are out sick with a cold (and would my co-worker learn to cough & COVER HER MOUTH!!!!!!)

January 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. croman

Hmmmm even the non believers are talking about christianity. If your really bothered by all of this Tebow hype, praising God and praying on the sideline, why are you reading into it. Its a good thing people, dont you get it.

January 9, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Hmmmm even the non believers are talking about christianity"

the same way we talk about believing in Santa Claus. It's cute that kids believe in it, but some day you grow up and realize fairy tales aren't real.

January 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeramiah Ten

Read Jeramiah 10- v 1~10 Christmas is false the Messiag was NOT born on The Christian Christmas(Read Catholic – Christ – Mass) So your scripture is way off. Constantine empire unity was where Christmas came from Pagans plus "Christians: = Empire. The Origin of Christmas was the pagan day Constantine mixed with the Christians.

The Point is that Jeremiah (Yeramiyahu) warned of Christmas 700 years before it happened – Got Tree? not us.

The Europeans wanted a messiah Just not a Hebrew one. So he has a Greek name. Like Scripture says "Of Gods there are many" There is no Jesus, only a Hebrew named Yeshua – that is the Messiah (Massiach) – the first rule of English and all other languages is that names are not translated – oooops guess you forgot 6th grade English grammar. Your name is the same in every language, The 3 popular names at the time of the birth around the time of Sukkots, were Yochanan(John), Yahushua,(joshua) and Yeshua. But then most people just say they read the books they read – they never really read them through. they listen to someone else like a corporation church piest or minister.

So John – Yochanan 3:16 and football have nothing in common on December 25th pagan day. bet you don't know what Sukkots is huh? read

Incidentally this guy is a great athlete. Bravo

January 9, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. derp

I think this whole 316 business is a bunch of number two. I'd rather he threw for 420 yards. At least that would be useful.

January 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Antony

LOL.

Hmmm, Thomas' 204 yards.
      420. 204. 420. 204.
      Is it a coincidence, or an early clue to the new direction?

Only the bible knows for sure!

January 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

hey t-bow. pas it to the left bogart.

January 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anti Hate

Tebow may not be Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers, but he is on his way. He is a good quarterback and an even better person. Finally a sports figure that we all should look up to. I admire Tebow's faith. I hope he continues to use his talents for the glory of God. With God, all things are possible.

January 10, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Finally a sports figure that we all should look up to"

Why, because he flaunts his religion?

For your information, Aaron Rodgers is a devout christian ( and ten times the QB that Tebow will ever be ). The difference is that he worships humbly, he keeps his faith personal, and he does not take every chance he gets to shove his faith in the limelight like that grandstanding blowhard Tebow.

You do realize that most of the players in the NFL are christian. They are just not a bunch of grandstanding dickwads like that dufus from Florida.

January 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • juststoppinby

January 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • juststoppinby

@Derp, who do you look up to? Serious question.

January 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"@Derp, who do you look up to? Serious question."

Ok, if you insist. I always had a great affinity for my mother. She was kind, smart, and taught me all I needed to know in life with regards to being a decent human being. She did not ever judge me, even when as a adolescent I told her I did not believe in any of the religious dogma that I was raised with. She ultimately became and atheist as well.

My wife. She is the most wonderful person I have ever known and I love her dearly. She is beautiful, smart, kind and compassionate. She gives very freely of her time to make the world a better place. She is an atheist.

One of my early role models was my grandfather. A great man who died too young. I dearly miss him. I don't even know if he was religious or not because he never discussed it.

My English IV teacher in high school was brilliant, and helped me graduate in spite of having four serious medical operations my senior year of high school. Without her help, I never would have been able to go on to college. She was enormously inspirational to me. She was a true role model for all educators. She was an openly atheist hippie, at a time when very people were openly atheist.

I had a few professors in college who inspired me to stay in school and finish at a time when I was disillusioned with higher education. My econ II, stat II, and later a 2nd year law school professor. He was a Sikh.

My earliest business mentor was some 30 years my senior. He taught me the importance of balance in life and business. You can make money fairly and honestly. I never heard him speak of religion.

I simply do not, or will not ever place any regard to any individual, especially someone I have never met, based on religious beliefs. I think it is all hogwash. I am of the opinion that none of it exists in reality, and in reality it does not.

I have been inspired, and looked up to may people in my life. All of them have touched me personally. None of them ever made an issue of their religion.

I don't believe in your magic sky wizard. If believing in such things gives you comfort, good for you. I don't need it. I don't lack comfort, inspiration or fulfillment.

However, I will never be impressed or inspired by anyone who believes in things that I consider to be no more than fairy tales, simply because of their belief in those fairy tales. Belief in nonexistent friends, does not make you a good person. Your behavior towards others makes you a good person.

Are you inspired by people who believe in unicorns?

! person believes in an imaginary friend and they are considered crazy.
      100 people believe and they are a cult.
      1,000,000 believe and it's called religion.

January 10, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Do you realize most of the the players in the NFL are Christian?" REALLY??? "Do you know them?" A sense a bit of a bias here.. if he was flaunting anything else, I think you would be cool with it."

70% of Caucasians identify as Christian. 92% of African Americans identify as Christian. African Americans identify themselves as Christian more than any other ethnic group. The NFL fluctuates between 60% and 70% black. The balance is primarily caucasian with a few others mixed in. Those demographics alone dictate that most of the players are Christian.

My two favorite players are devout christians. You probably would not know that they are Christian, because you never saw them grandstanding like you do with Timmy T.

January 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Julie

To all the Tebow haters out there, please look up Mark13:13.

January 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

Exactly where in the encyclopedia will I find that?

January 9, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeL

Nice Julie... Well said.

January 9, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Cesar The Chorizo Champ Of Chihuahua

Tebow is Jesus.

January 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soccer

Last time I checked, Tebow was and is not Jesus. Jesus is Jesus. Get your facts straight. Even a 12 year old knows the difference between Tebow and Jesus.

January 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Even a 12 year old knows the difference between Tebow and Jesus"

Yes, even twelve year olds know that Tebow is real, and jesus is his imaginary friend.

January 10, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • IKnowHim

Jesus does my yard work. I pay him in cash because he said he had issues with his ID...

January 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |