Tebow's passing yards bring up biblical number
Tim Tebow celebrates as he walks off the field after his Florida Gators won the BCS National Championship game on January 8, 2009. In the black below Tebow's eyes, John 3:16.
January 9th, 2012

Tebow's passing yards bring up biblical number

Early Monday morning, the top item on Google Trends hot searches is John 3 16, the passage from the bible that reads:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

The number two and three searched terms on Google? Tebow and Tim Tebow.

It's surely all coincidence, but how many yards did Tebow throw for as he led the Denver Broncos to a 29-23 overtime win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the NFL's divisional playoffs on Sunday night?

Answer: 316.

And what did Tebow have on his eye black as he led the Florida Gators to victory in the 2009 national championship game three years ago to the day of his performance in Denver Sunday night?

Answer: John 3:16.

And while were looking at numbers, let's look at dates, like December 25, the birth date of Jesus Christ and the man who caught Tebow's overtime pass and scored the winning touchdown Sunday night, 24-year-old Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

In the next round of the NFL playoffs, Tebow, Thomas and their Broncos travel to New England to face the Patriots, a team that dominated them in Denver late in the regular season. The Patriots figure to be even bigger favorites than the Steelers were to defeat the Broncos Sunday night.

But don't count out Tim Tebow to produce some amazing numbers of his own.

Check out Time.com's gallery of John 3:16 in popular culture, including Tebow as a Florida Gator.

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Pro football • Sports • Tim Tebow
  1. les

I believe he is speaking through him. Look at how many people are searching for the bible verse. Love it!! Amen!!

January 9, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • longshot

yes, god speaks through football, but does nothing about dying children, or starving millions around the globe...

January 9, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul Z

If you saw the movie' "O God" with George Burns you would have seen the scene where John Denver's character asks God (George Burns) why he allows those kind of things. His response, "Why do you allow it?" God provided more than enough resources. Problem is we want "what is ours" and ignore the needs of others. God gives us the resources and the guidance, it's when we choose to ignore it that these type of things occur.

January 9, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

Wow, when you are quoting George Burns you know that you have reached a new jesustard low.

January 9, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul Z

Actually just a popular culture restateing of serveral verses from the bible, one of which is James chapter 1 verse 26-27 that says " 26 -27Anyone who sets himself up as "religious" by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world. " according to the Message translation of the bible.
      If you look, you find this same kind of caring though in many places in the bible. Or you can choose not to. Your choice.

January 9, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Yes paul you can find some good verses in the bible, but people tend to cherry pick and ignore the slavery, genocide and downright evil pervasive in it. Hmm..what does the bible recommend if I find my wife is not a virgin on our wedding night? I am to stone her to death on her fathers doorstep. What if someone picks up sticks on the sabbath? Oh yeah, they should be put to death. Do you let your women speak in Church? Yes, uh oh. Are their heads covered? No..uh oh. Not paying attention to the bible are we? How bout if someone comes up to you saying hey let us go worship others gods? Are you prepared to kill them yourself as commanded? I suppose alot of that love will be demostrated through hellfire eh? All for a philosophical difference. Just think if jesus failed? Everyone would have gone there right irrespective of goodness. Sigh.

January 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul Z

Some might have a problem with this view. And that's OK. I think that is their right and it is not my place to tell them what they are to believe. I feel it is my right to express what I believe and why and they can accept, reject or question that at their own option.
      Regarding the Old Testament (for the most part) punishments that you mention, I look at how Jesus responded to the same kind of situations you mention and try to pattern my approach as he modified his. I do this knowing I'm not going to get it right all the time, but try to handle it better each time than the last time. And importantly, it's not up to me to judge anyone but rather to love others to the best of my ability and to try to improve that ability over time.

January 9, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SilverHair

Get religion out of my face. I have my God – He is private to me. You keep yours private from me.

January 9, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Abb

Well if your God is so private, than he must just love you only. Jesus made himself public for the world because he came for the world and he tells us to shine where ever we go. Oh I see your god is dead. try Jesus you'll love it.

January 9, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
    • ????

If you will study your book, I think that you will find that you are supposed to pray in private. Been a few years since I plowed though it, but Matthew I think.

January 9, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Portland tony

To attribute or liken any of Tim Tebow's accomplishment on the football field to Jesus or God is pure unadulterated blasphemy. It's fun to joke about his so called miracles playing professional sports (he gets paid well), but to take it seriously defies all that Christianity stands for.

January 9, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  4. longshot

Interesting that God is a football fan, but not a fan of little kids dying of cancer, or of the starving millions around the world, or of the sick, homeless, forgotten, abused.

January 9, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • twiddly

Hey now, you appear to be actually "thinking".
      You cannot think for yourself and be a christian.

January 9, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul Z

Hmm, knee-jerk, generalized reaction. Isn't that what people accuse Christians of? Just saying.

January 9, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. Abe Bogaoda

Tebow represents every thing we aethiests hate about Christians.

Every chance he gets he rubs his religion in the face of others. It is truly disgusting.

January 9, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • What are you talking about?

Abe: What are you talking about? I am not a Tebow fan, but how is he rubbing anything in your face? because he has a biblical verse on his face that you have to look at? or is it because he kneels to pray after a score or at the end of a game win or lose? Is he continually pushing you to conform to his religion? Just becasue someone believes in something and states it in public does not mean they are pushing anything in your face. How is your statement and others like it any different that what a believer states? Are you now pushing your non-believing agenda on the believers of the world? I find your hypocritcal statements amusing so please continue after all they say laughter is the best medicine.

January 9, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. LaurieinVA

@SilverHair- his religion is NOT in your face. Turn off the TV, don't read the article. You have a choice.

January 9, 2012 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Godless

Exactly! Just turn off the tv, turn off the radio, don't read, and don't talk to other people. Just become a complete hermit living in a cave and this stuff won't bother you anymore!

January 9, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul Z

No Godless, but why is it OK for atheists to insist on stating their beliefs in public but if a person who holds beliefs of faith does the same thing, it's wrong? Doesn't seem real consistent.

January 9, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • SilverHair

I did turn off the TV. Read part of the post. Guess this thread is all about wingers. Out of here.

January 9, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. Rachel

That's what you get Bill Maher for making fun of Tim Tebow. Hahahahaha.

January 9, 2012 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Abe Bogaoda

Yeah cause Tebow winning one playoff game (and not an important one at that) has everything to do will Jesus or Bill Maher or whatever, why cant a freaking football game be a football game? Oh that's right cause you Xtians cling to everything you can because you know how utterly ridiculous and hypocritical your lives truly are.

January 9, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Godless

How Christian of you.

January 9, 2012 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

Bill Maher made fun of Tim Tebow and now has done nothing but bring his cause into the media even more. Gotta love short, bitter men who hate religion. LOL

January 9, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

So when Tebow chokes next week in New England you will admit that Maher is right and the jesustard story is just an iron age myth?

January 9, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • twiddly

Ha! Derp has it so right.

January 9, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. Brad

Well, if throwing for 316 is going to be doubted as coincidence and irony, nobody is adding the fact that Demaryious Thomas was born on 12/25. So is that going to be just another coincidence or can we acknowledge grace. AND, God does give favor to those who TRULY acknowledge him and praise him. So for those who want to say God does not favor Tebow over other players, not exactly true. God does show favor to those that are true in him and sing his praise with their conviction. Moses "prayed for favor."

January 9, 2012 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
    • mike wilcox

Numbers? Another believer in the great cult. You need something I guess numbers are as good as anything, starving, greed, poor, those things don't matter much. Just things that your Jesus spoke of.

January 9, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

I'll tell you when I'll think it was anything but coincedence, when he consistantly throws for 316 yards. Not just one game. What a joke.

January 10, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mike wilcox

So a man who makes millions is winning because he prays and believes. Now you have Jesus involved in football. Maybe he can coach Penn State.

January 9, 2012 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. ILL WILL

F Tebow....... and thats from the heart.

January 9, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Tee

ILL WILL..You really are ill in the heart!

January 18, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rachel

Short bitter men like Bill Maher are eating crow right now. The more attention he gives Tebow the better. Thank you bill Maher for your napoleon complex and bittnerness against religion. You have done nothing but bring christianity into the news even more. LOL

January 9, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

So when Teblow chokes next week in New England you will admit that Maher is right and the jesustard story is just an iron age myth?

January 9, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. confuddled

Death, disease, famine, or football...nice to see that Divines have their priorities straight.

January 9, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  13. AltReg01

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man religion and he starves to death praying for a fish

January 9, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • teamroper

Awww! You just can't take an honest man, living up to his and his families religous morals, making a name for himself. He has done nothing to you. You are nothing but a self-righteous POS.

January 9, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

Jesustards make me laugh.

January 9, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • greg

dude,you really don't know what a foolish,punk comment you made here,but we all suspect you really don't understand what you say,so we disregard it,and forgive it, no power stronger than love,i hope one day you stop knocking others and find true love....

January 9, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Lance

Jesus was not born on December 25th like most of the stupid christians think. He was most likely born in mid September.

January 9, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Maximus

If this dude and his team beat Brady and the Patriots next week, then I am going straight to church!

January 9, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. mw

Dear Lord, Please bring your wrath upon that mean Tom Brady and his non believers. Tebows prayers wont help him against New England. It's football, tackling, throwing, crushing, rrrrrrrrrrr, hit , take him out. Wait a minute dear lord please let me have a good passing game so I can get more followers for your cult. I shall do your work through this pigskin.

January 9, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Emersonian

The Transcendentalist God of New England does not hear the prayers of Tebow.

January 9, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. Amelia Rush

Not COINCIDENCE at all !!! 🙂 🙂 God sometimes likes to Sign His work 🙂 🙂 The 316 yards was a message to Tebow 🙂 a thank YOU of sorts ... 🙂 and a message to the rest of you ... letting you KNOW ... He does care... about what you care about ... Sadly, some of you don't invite Him to share those things.... Tebow does !!! ROCK ON TEBOW !!!!!!!!!!

January 9, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • AltReg01

Yes a religion that covers up child abuse, where do I sign up???

January 9, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

The U.S. Senate covers up child abuse too. So does Mormonism. So does Islam. So has just about every religion in history. Quit letting your thoughts be controlled by the media.

January 9, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • ron

A few lucky shots down field, good defense, lots of injuries and a quarterback that shouldn't even be walking let alone playing. Tebow really isn't as good as he is lucky.

January 9, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Faith = Believing what is known to be False

I'm so glad that God was able to help Tebow win the 1st round playoff game. Too bad the 25,000 people (16K being children) who die of starvation every day were not able to see his performance...

January 9, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

"and a message to the rest of you ... letting you KNOW ... He does care... about what you care about"

That's funny, because I really care about global starvation and world peace. God does not seem to care about what I care about. I guess he is more concerned with football.

Jesustards make me laugh.

January 9, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • longshot

so god chooses to show up on the football field, but allows children to die, millions to starve...right...

January 9, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • HeHasRizen

I agree with how many people watch football on God's day, Sunday, he is using Tebow to help others come to christ, cuz god knows this country needs it. A bunch of ruthless rude people in this world and we all need jesus in our life. Pray to jesus and you will see your life will be much better than it ever has

January 9, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Pray to jesus and you will see your life will be much better than it ever has"

My mother died of cancer 11 years ago. I prayed to jesus every day to help her. She died anyway. Along the way she suffered tremendously.

Please explain to me how this made my, or my mothers life better. And don't give me that horshi t nonsense about it being "part of gods plan".

I prayed to jesus and he fuc ked me.

Jesus sucks.