Tebow's passing yards bring up biblical number
Tim Tebow celebrates as he walks off the field after his Florida Gators won the BCS National Championship game on January 8, 2009. In the black below Tebow's eyes, John 3:16.
January 9th, 2012

Tebow's passing yards bring up biblical number

Early Monday morning, the top item on Google Trends hot searches is John 3 16, the passage from the bible that reads:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

The number two and three searched terms on Google? Tebow and Tim Tebow.

It's surely all coincidence, but how many yards did Tebow throw for as he led the Denver Broncos to a 29-23 overtime win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in the NFL's divisional playoffs on Sunday night?

Answer: 316.

And what did Tebow have on his eye black as he led the Florida Gators to victory in the 2009 national championship game three years ago to the day of his performance in Denver Sunday night?

Answer: John 3:16.

And while were looking at numbers, let's look at dates, like December 25, the birth date of Jesus Christ and the man who caught Tebow's overtime pass and scored the winning touchdown Sunday night, 24-year-old Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

In the next round of the NFL playoffs, Tebow, Thomas and their Broncos travel to New England to face the Patriots, a team that dominated them in Denver late in the regular season. The Patriots figure to be even bigger favorites than the Steelers were to defeat the Broncos Sunday night.

But don't count out Tim Tebow to produce some amazing numbers of his own.

Check out Time.com's gallery of John 3:16 in popular culture, including Tebow as a Florida Gator.

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Pro football • Sports • Tim Tebow
  1. Jeff

Tebow played a spectacular game. QB rating was at 125. You can start picking apart numbers any way you want, but the stats and the final score back it up. Tebow was for real (at least last night) against the best defense in the league. Give the man some credit for his skills.

January 9, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Antony

Without a doubt. But it had nothing to do with god.

January 9, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Christian

It is spelled God with a capital G; What is wrong with Americans they mix capital letters & small letters all over the place. This is pathetic....

January 9, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Antony

christian: I used a lower-case "g" by choice, not by your accusation of my ignorance. You see, your mythological god is no more important than any of the others invented by humans throughout the ages.

January 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ mouse

What kind of thoughts would you have had if you were born on 3-16 ?

January 9, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

@banasy

Your address is 316 St John ? Damn girl, do you know wht this means ?

January 9, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. KS

Except Jesus (if you believe that he existed) was not born on December 25th.

January 9, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Papa T

???? what purpose does the devil have for quoting scripture in this matter, he tries to discredit God.
    Dec 25th is just a day set aside to celebrate the birth of Christ, most people know this, who are you quoting for?
    open400, I somewhat agree with you,"no one is good in God's sight" (Romans 1:18) but "we know that all things work together for the good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)
    brian, if you are as intouch with God as you say you are, you would understand that this man is just giving God His glory, " let everything you do be done to the glory of The Lord"

January 9, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. mouse

bobcat,
    I would think I was perfect and without sin........darn just two days away from that so I must be close to perfect. 🙂

January 9, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  7. LB Colorado

Great game – absolutely awesome. I am a Denver fan so you can imagine sitting on the end of my seat. Great Finish, and God/Jesus showed up and what a GLORIOUS FINISH – don't you think? Tim, you keep doing what you know to do and God will do the rest – win or lose. Tim Tebow is a great representative of God. BY THE WAY – WE BELIEVE.......

January 9, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

Good thing jesus took the time to show up and make sure that Pittsburgh's safety jumped out of position.

Too bad for all of those starving children all over the world that died yesterday that jesus did not take the time to save them.

I guess football is more important to jesus.

Kind of a dick move if you ask me.

January 9, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • GF

DERP: Why do I have a feeling that you'll reach out to Jesus while you're on your death bed? It happens all the time. Hopefully for you, you're on your death bed and not gone instantly. Good luck.

January 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

So I guess all of the people on earth who died instantly yesterday while jesus was busy fixing a football game went straight to hell?

You jesustards are a riot.

January 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kcdude

Woohoo God rules and Tebow is great

January 9, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. mouse

LB Colorado....."and God will do the rest – win or lose". Even I can give you those odds......you'll either win or lose. How profound!

January 9, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. What The Heck

Wonder if all the pro-Tebow people would be pro-Tebow if he whipped out a prayer rug and start praying to Allah after every touchdown. Let's hope if any of the Muslim players start praying in public, they will get the same A-OK to pray in public from you. Personally, I'm sick of the media focusing on this. They hunt him down after any score to watch him pray. The act is getting old.

January 9, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

@bobcat (in a hat)©

What does it mean?

I still get my bills.

January 9, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ banasy©

I don't know. I thought maybe you had the answer.

January 9, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. CNN Reader

I did not mean to offend anyone in particular, but the replies I got seem to me to confirm my original point. Let's say then most believers and nonbelievers, the reflective ones. And again I do not mean to offend.

January 9, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  14. magnus

I havent had this much fun watching a playoff game as the DEN-PIT. Wow, everyone is talking about it at work. If DEN beats NE, then a theory of divine intervention must be explored.

January 9, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  15. Myself

It's sad. People can have such disdain for a person who relies on faith. Faith or not, Tebow is a good person and remarkable athlete. A winner because he knows how to do that. He is the epitomy of a role model athlete. I am not from denver and would prob never buy a jersey of any of my home teams( and I am a fan), but I would buy a TEBOW jersey because he inspires many. Advance in the playoffs or not, Tebow is a winner at life. Godspeed Tebow!!

January 9, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

Have you ever met him?

How do you know he's not a dick?

January 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |