January 12th, 2012

Corps says its investigating video, working to identify Marines

The Marine Corps distanced itself Thursday from a video purporting to show members of one of its sniper teams urinating on dead bodies in Afghanistan, even as military officials said they could not immediately verify its origin or authenticity.

"We are aware of the video. The hate in it does not represent the U.S. Marine Corps," said Col. Ricco Player, a spokesman for the Marines in Afghanistan's volatile Helmand province. "An investigation has been initiated."

The story broke Wednesday when a number of websites including TMZ and YouTube posted a video showing four men dressed in Marine combat gear urinating on what appeared to be the dead bodies of three men on the ground in front of them.

One of the men says, "Have a great day, buddy." A voice asks, "You got it on the video?" to which another voice responds, "Yeah." Another jokes, "Golden, like a shower."

It was not clear who shot or posted the 39-second video, who the people pictured in it were or where it was shot, though a U.S. official said it was a "reasonable conclusion" it was filmed in Afghanistan.

The official, based in Afghanistan, spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • World
  1. D Green

Of course, they shouldn't have done this, but they're Marines, not boy scouts, and they are taught to kill, not help an old lady across the street, so why should anyone be surprised when a few of them do something crude?

January 12, 2012 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. rene bosman

It's disgusting and there is no excuse for what they did.
    It is mind boggling and totally a brainless stupidity that they even put it on video.
    Had they no clue what will happen if the world found out?
    What about the response from the Moslim world that will be coming
    very soon.
    They also put the US government and other fellow soldiers in an awkward and dangerous situation

January 12, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
    • David

yea..It was stupid to video the act but what about when the Iraqi insurgents beheaded Nick Berg and a few other citizens and then posted the act on the Net?

January 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

The few, the proud, the Marines: not these guys.
    I am confident that these idiots do *not* reflect the Marines.

January 12, 2012 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Pop

If they did it because of their religion, then it's okay.
    The Supreme Court says we can violate any law if it is because of our religion.
    I think I will p!ss on something.
    My religion says I should if I feel the need to express my religious views in that manner.
    It doesn't matter if it violates some silly law or rule in this country! It's OKAY!!!

January 12, 2012 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ross Ballard

Why in the name of God is CNN now taking a whiz on the US Marine Corp? It's WAR you morons. War be its very definition is 'insanity'. Why not show a little fair and balance and post pics of US soldiers who have been slaughtered by the hands of your friends in the Taliban. Soledad Obrien and retired General James 'Spider' Marks have now become spokesmen for the Taliban! How outrageous is this...? Thank God my son is now home from overseas and lives in a house united behind his bravery. Shame on CNN.

January 12, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. Larry Henderson

Lower enlisted I assume!!! By the way, @Ross, you have a point!

January 12, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. Pete/Ark

As a former Marine and the father of a former Marine I am quite sure these clowns are NOT going to laugh at what happens to them. They crossed the line.

January 12, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO ©

I may be in the minority here, but they're dead, so urine isn't going to hurt them. As far as I'm concerned, they can bury them, burn them, urinate on them, dress them up for a tea party, cut off their heads and play polo with them – I don't care, because they're dead.

January 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

@ Bombo

So you wouldn't mind if that happens to a dead body of someone you loved, because that person is just dead?

January 12, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Correct.

January 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BOMBO ©

Maybe I should clarify before comments close on this thread too. I'm not trying to upset anyone. This is just what I believe. A body is not a person. I am not a body. I HAVE a body, in almost the same sense that I have a car. It gets me around as I move through life. One day, I'll be done with it. What is left is not me. It is only a shell. I've seen a few at funerals, and they are just shells. No one is home. They have gone Elsewhere. So I don't care too much what happens to bodies. As I've said to my family (quoting Lou Grant or Archie Bunker, I forget which), "Just prop me up on the curb on trash day."

January 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marsha in IN

I think this over the top. These are the enemy and they have the same rights as I do. What are their point? They will remember for what they did for the rest of their lives.

January 12, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Marsha in IN

American military is a lot better than this. It makes us look like a animal all over the world.

January 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Really?? Try and watch the Nick Berg beheading then. He was caught by Iraqi Insurgents, they posted a video of his beheading then they took his body and hung it upside down on an overpass with his head on a blanket in the middle of the road..those muslims are far more worse these guys. Granted they should be busted for even video taping it..it just shows the stupidity of some, not all, servicemembers. BTW...I served three tours in Iraq..

January 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. saywhat

@ Marsha in IN

Right on.
    Would this in any way add to whatever prestige, credibility and clout we were clinging to after the follies of Iraq & Afghanistan?
    And would this add to the 'love' that the rest of the world has harbored towards us Americans during the past decade?

January 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

@Bombo @ole Grandad @ i wish my buttplugs...

You make us Americans 'proud'. This is exactly the mind set which has brought this great country to the brink, landed us in the mess we are in today, a mess of our own making.

January 12, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ma & pa

Fact before jump to belief? Let's see........if eight men went out on patrol and four urinated and one held the camera and three laid themselves on the ground that makes eight men accountd for.

January 13, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. ma & pa

@BOMBO at 1:56pm Your comment is factual. Everyone grieves or doesn't in their own way. Necessity. All of you are right. Big hugs to you and saywhat from here if you want. Ross and David are so right. Imans are quoted saying virtuous ideals while their followers make war on each other and us. Before modern travel it was on the other side of the ocean. Now we can't get away and must stand and fight since the threat is in our nation now. No wonder people sometimes do crude things.

January 13, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |