Missing Montana schoolteacher found dead
January 13th, 2012

Missing Montana schoolteacher found dead

Montana schoolteacher Sherry Arnold, missing since Saturday, has been found dead, according to a posting on the Sidney Public Schools website.

The school district provided no other information.

Law enforcement officers have taken "one adult male into custody, and another adult male is being questioned" in relation to Arnold's case, the FBI said Friday in a statement.

The 43-year-old schoolteacher was last seen out on a morning jog through her small town.

One of her running shoes was found along her route, but authorities indicated there had not been any other sign of Arnold.

Sidney police Chief Frank DiFonzo said earlier this week that teams had been using dogs and aircraft to search for Arnold and have gotten help from National Guard members as well as volunteers.

On Thursday, the FBI put out a poster of Arnold and added her to its "kidnapping and missing persons" website.

Arnold's disappearance has hit the small community hard, including at Sidney High School, where she is a math teacher. Situated near North Dakota and about 100 miles south of the Canadian border, Sidney has a population of just under 5,200 people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Crime • Montana
  1. warhorse1

jogging at 6:30 in the morning? im lucky if i can hold a glass of water at that hour. Im not saying shes not attractive, but if it was two men that did something to her, they must have been real desperate slime.

January 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yvonne

How mean! I am so glad I am not like you! If only beautiful people are allowed to be mourned, I am betting there won't be a lot of people at your funeral!

January 19, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

You know the filter between your brain and mount? Turn that on.

January 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred L. Fraud

warhorse, you are a loser

January 20, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Andrea

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder & apparently your parents never taught you "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all!"

January 20, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • aminmd

You are a waste of space with an evil heart in possession of a wasteland of words. You need to seriously reconsider your purpose in life.

January 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ZackInColo

At 6:30 I'm almost to work.
      You really should think before hitting that last key to reply.

unbelievable

Condolences to her family.
      Z

January 20, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • surrender_horse

That's a real macho handle, Mr. Warhorse1. Even tho she was just a teacher, it could've been your daughter or mother. Think about it. RIP Ms. Arnold, and condolences to your family, friends and pets.

January 20, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheepleherder

war – It must be a real burden to be pathetic and stupid at the same time.

January 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marquette

Warehouse1 – you're not a very nice person. Ms. Arnold – the rest of us are thinking about you and your family.

January 21, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • gene

hey warpedhorse:
      you win the dirt bag of the year award, congrats

January 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • llb

Go to hell !!!
      You stupid heartless MF!!!

January 21, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary-Anne

Really????

January 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • funnygirl

All one can say is WOW!

January 27, 2012 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. Wisconsin

Society seems to be going down the drain. Killing for no reason like it is a sport. I can only guess it was for a piece of force tail (which is bad) but to end her life becuae of it is worse. I hope Montana has the death penalty for the criminal(s) don't deserve to live.

January 19, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kimmy

People have always killed for no reason. Think about it!

January 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chlo

I am so terribly sorry for this woman, her family, friends and school children. Please, please learn from this! There are predators all over. I am more afraid of men than the bears, cougars and wolves that I hike around and live around daily. But, I carry a gun and bearspray and most certainly would never go out in the dark of morning or night. I won't ever hike far without a companion. Why do women do this? Predators don't care what the population of a town is.

January 19, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • C.L. Taylor

Chlo, carrying a gun is not realistic.An air-horn to the attacker's ear can at least give a healthy person a chance to flee and make enough noise to gain attention. Pepper spray perhaps. I don't go out and walk because I'm afraid if approached I would not be able to defend myself. As a result, I'm 40 lbs over weight and along indoors all day at age 46. Just me and the retired people in their 80s who have learned to not live in fear but leave their houses and run errands etc. Going out for a run at 6:30am is not unreasonable – having to be on guard 100% of the time is. I hope those responsible are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Ladies, exercise with a partner in well lit places.
      All that aside: It is NOT her fault !!!! Empathy to her family.

January 19, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. C.L. Taylor

I was worried this story would turn out badly, but I didn't think in such a small community (5,200) that so called predators would be an issue. Nevertheless, my empathy to the family and friends of this woman. I would not wish such a fate onto anyone.

January 19, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suckystatetoliveinanyway

Montana is THE place to go for crazy fool criminals ~ I had the unfortunate experience to live there just a short while and these crazy fools don't hide! I won't post the couple of insane things I experienced b/c ppl love to call others liars when they post comments online, so it won't be worth my time, but I can assure you that just b/c it is a small town in Montana DOES NOT mean criminals don't go there. Think of all the empty vacation cabins in that state, easy hide outs...I'm just saying!

January 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buck

Suckystatetoliveinanyway, I lived in Montana for nearly two decades. I'm not sure where YOU lived, but I lived in Great Falls and never had any experiences like you described. Maybe you just chose poorly on what city/neighborhood to live in. Every state has it's good and bad areas to live. When you grow up, maybe you'll understand that some day.

January 26, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ

These incidences are few and far between. Stop reading the news and watching TV so much and you will be less afraid of LIVING YOUR LIFE!

January 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. K.S. MaCollum

This has nothing to do with the fact that she was out at 6:30 in the morning! Unfortunately if it wasn't her, these animals would have attacked someone else. I also teach and run in the mornings, it seems like women runners get a bad reputation and people always comment about how they should go with a buddy or how they should stay inside and give exercise up! Women are not just attacked while running; they are attacked in their homes, cars, parking lots, parking decks, walking home from work, goodness the list goes on. Most women runners are very diligent about taking cell phones, leaving their paths, and letting others know where they are. The point here is that another productive member of society with a family and friends was assaulted and taken advantage of by sick predators that should be the only thing alarming people! If she was abducted walking to her car in the school parking lot I wonder if anyone would comment about where she was when this occurred. Or better yet, if she walked out to check her mail would anyone have commented that she should have taken a buddy with her to the mail box? I will keep her loved ones in my thoughts and pray these people are brought to justice, which should be the focus here, not criticizing where she was when she was abducted and MURDERED.

January 20, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Andrea

Very well said K.S......there will always be people coming out & saying that someone shouldn't be where they are or living their lives! You can't live your life looking over your shoulder.....I live in a "smaller" town in NY that is safe but there are crazy people everywhere & you just never know! Can't live your life in fear! What kind of living is that?!

January 20, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. jessejames4

@C.L. Taylor said, "Chlo, carrying a gun is not realistic."

I say to that, BS!. Not realistic! What the heck are you talking about? Maybe not for you who are able to judge from your armchair, but she is DEAD, her family will never be the same. There are many small, palm-sized 22's and 38's that can easily be carried in a waist holster capable of thwarting an attacker/kidnapper. With proper handgun training, carrying a concealed or open-carry weapon could have saved her life and I believe Montana is an open-carry state. How many of you think these two men would have given her a second thought if they saw a gun holster on her waist belt as she jogged by?
    We are way past the point of blaming honest working, legal gun-owning Americans for every crime a nut job or criminal commits with an illegal firearm. The sales of handguns has surged in the past 3 months because citizens understand that the police are strained now more then ever and it would bode well to proactively have some firearms training and a firearm properly kept in your home.

January 20, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Steven

I even see walkers carrying a golf club or pole for protection. One must protect their selves; you cannot rely on others to do this. People need to have a concealed carry license and know how to use a gun. The creeps will think twice. We also need stiff sentences for these perpetrators.

January 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hello

better yet get a tread mill and.. not make yourself a monster target...
      chances are there were 2 men... a women with one gun... might not get off 2 effective shots in time to ward them off.
      might get one.. but the other maybe not.

She put herself in danger.....I can imagine she realized her mistake in the moments before she lost consciousness.
      I bet she was full of regret for allowing herself to be in such a dangerous situation.

I wonder if anyone ever warned her and she just ignored the warning...

January 31, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. 1StuckinSA

I am so terribly sorry that Sherry Arnold was not found alive, so terribly sorry for her family. My prayers for her family, friends, and students for strength.

January 20, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. mizh

I feel sick reading this. I hope the cretins responsible never see daylight again. My condolences to her friends and family.

January 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joseph Rangitsch

The story is partially inacurate. Her body has not been found. Local media here in Montana is reporting that the FBI is asking land owners in extreme northeast Montana and northwest North Dakota to look over their land for disturbed earth. Two men from Colorado were arrested and are awaiting extradition to Richland County Montana.

January 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ya no

Maybe if she was packing, there'd be two less creeps in the gene pool. As horrible as it sounds, it is the reality we now live in.

January 20, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. philip

my most recent experience with early-rising women joggers was when two of them called the police one as I sat minding my own business drinking a mug of tea at a local park. If they only knew.....I hate women.

January 21, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • funnygirl

The irony here is that your hatred of women is probably what they picked up on......

January 27, 2012 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Reallly?

January 29, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lost N Thot

Sad....so sad....who knows the evil that lurks in people's hearts?

January 21, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mistylynn

I will never understand how someone can murder or even hurt another person. My thoughts and prayers to her family and students. There is a lot of sadness in our hearts today. I will never understand.

January 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Becky

Thank you Surrender_Horse for saying "even tho she was JUST a teacher". What do you contribute to society? There is no need to minimize others. God bless her and her family. My prayers are with them.

January 25, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. jaintn

Found dead? I just read an article dated 5 days after this one and it says she hasn't been found. What's up CNN? Honestly, your reporting and accuracy is shameful.

January 26, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |