Overheard on CNN.com: Is it OK to do that?
A New York Philharmonic performance was underscored by a ringing cell phone, causing the conductor to stop the music.
January 13th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Is it OK to do that?

Quick! Three great conversations, and three simple questions. Share your thoughts below.

Situation 1

Ringing tones of famed Philharmonic silenced by ringing cell phone

You're at the symphony and that dreaded iPhone marimba ringtone goes off, which has been known to arouse morning-alarm panic in some folks. That happened at the New York Philharmonic on Tuesday night, disrupting a haunting performance. How do you deal with situations like that? Is this OK?

sadie456: "This gent was simply arrogant. He allowed his phone to ring for three or four minutes, did not ask anyone for assistance and remained mute when challenged. I think he should have been ejected and banned from returning."

MikeSW: "At the other end of the spectrum, my grandfather halted a play by laughing so loudly and long (it was a comedy) that the entire cast stopped, turned and bowed to him, and then continued with the play. My grandmother was so mortified she never attended another play with him."

Rbnlegnds101: "He was overcome by an appropriate reaction to the performance. The actors could only take it as a compliment. Laughing at a comedy is appropriate. A musical ringtone at a concert, on the other hand, is not."

Situation 2

Why your grandma steals sugar packets

People sometimes grab a few extra sugar packets, condiments and other items that are sitting out for the taking. Is this OK?

Rocky: "I paid for it. The price of salt and ketchup was included with my fries. Is it theft if I use the salt on my ice cream instead? No. How many times have I bought a bottle of ketchup to keep in the hotel fridge because the local whatever ALWAYS forgets to include ketchup, or I keep a bottle of soy sauce because the cheapskate Chinese restaurant only provides two tiny packets of soy for an entire family dinner? They know you don't want to hold up the huge drive-through line checking for ketchup. Do they deliberately short you a straw and sugar? You people saying that taking one extra is theft need to get a life. Is the restaurant committing theft by deception?"

Todd: "No, you didn't pay for it. You paid for your meal. Those extras are at the restaurant's expense to help make their customers more comfortable. When they figure out their profits they figure that a particular percentage of people will use so much condiments. If you just go and take it to bring it home, you are no longer using these to enhance your experience at the restaurant, you are just misusing their generousness, causing them to tighten their rules and making everyone else suffer. Companies wouldn't have to nickel and dime us so much if people stopped trying to abuse the system and get freebies when they are not meant to be freebies."

Some shared fond family memories of such things.

PDXmum: "Good lord, my grandmother used to embarrass the h*ll out of us going out to eat by bringing sandwich baggies in her purse (ones she had used previously washed out, mind you) and taking home leftovers. By leftovers I mean the butter we didn't use at a pancake breakfast, or bones from steaks for her dog, buffet leftovers on her plate, etc. I guess raising eight kids and living through the Depression just never left her."

Others said taking extras is getting harder.

Nevander: "They've already started to crack down at most fast food places. Not long ago if French fries were part of your order, a handful of ketchup would be in the bag – no question. Now, you must ask for it and then they want to know exactly how many packets you want."

This commenter laid down the law.

Mush: "Condiment rules: If you take condiments home to use with leftover food, you must use them with food from the same establishment. Therefore, you must have a system for ensuring this happens. In the case where the packets are only labeled with a generic brand like "Heinz", one option is to put them in separate bins. Each bin would be marked with the restaurant name where its contents came from. Another option is to combine all like condiments together in their own bin, such as ketchup, mustard, etc., and then use a computer spreadsheet set up to keep track of how many packets in a bin came from each specific establishment. When you take home food from a particular establishment and use a condiment on it, then you decrement the count of that condiment from that establishment. If you go below zero and have to "borrow" the condiment from another establishment in the same bin, someone here must be able to come up with an algorithm to fairly re-balance that condiment, because it's too difficult for my brain right now."

Situation 3

Tall flier decries extra leg room fee

An airline passenger says he shouldn't have to pay for a seat that offers him more leg room because he is a tall person. Vertically blessed ones, should you be able to request more leg room free of charge? Is this OK?

jeeeeeves: "They are effectively milking tall people for more revenue. Everyone should have the ability to fly comfortably without being subject to extra fees, it's not like they chose to be tall."

MarineEngr: "No, it is these so-called victims who are milking all the normal fliers who end up paying higher ticket prices to compensate for the fat guy's "free" extra seat or this tall guy's "free" additional leg room. As a normal size guy why should I pay a higher ticket price and have someone else deriving the benefit for it?"

earthling123: "Every time I fly I wonder in what nightmare am I waking up to: smelly passengers, armrest wrestle, crying babies, reclining seats, luggage fees, extra security, long gate lines, multiple plane stops, high ticket prices, flight delays, awful meals on long flights, strip searches, bag searches. ..."

These are tricky situations. How do you deal? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

1. bobcat (in a hat)©

@banasy©
    You are just toooo funny tonite. You've got my sides aching. Thanks for the entertainment.

January 13, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@bc(iah)©
    Gotta keep my favorite first responder entertained....

January 14, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. hamsta

@philip i guaruntee u eat more than i do and more than likely ur less active than i am.i survive on $40 a week for groceries.they call me hamsta cuz even though im fat they cant keep up with me.im like that hampster that got out.ur stereotype isnt as accurate as u think.

January 14, 2012 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Did you just seriously tell Philip and the world you are fat?

I don't know it all, but one thing I *do* know about Philip is that he is not fat, and he climbs mountains.
      You are endlessly amusing.

January 14, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. hamsta

but just to let u know u will never have to worry about sitting on a plane next to me as long as muslims are allowed on board.

January 14, 2012 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ banasy:
    It's not only men who affect that curiously strong posture with the knees.
    Then there's the gym-guy, concrete-under-the-armpits spread that implies that one's biceps are so massive that he has to hold his arms out to the side and just might not be able to get through the doorway, so certainly you have to get out of the way.

January 14, 2012 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I always get aisle seats on a plane. That's a little protection, and I've already seen the USA.

January 14, 2012 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

Not TORI© at 6:04 AM.

January 14, 2012 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. kim

How is it stealing when there given to you free. That's just petty I won't go to a business where the sugar isn't complimentary. Just rude to call it stealing.

January 14, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. kim

Rude to leave the ringtones on if you rather hear your phone ring then don't go to a concert other people are there to hear the orchestra not someone tacky ringtones. Rude is just being rude when others are there for a reason and you disturbing the reason their at a concert. I hate disruptive rude people

January 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

The entire container of sugar and Equal is not intended for consumption at a single meal. If I offered you a platter of fried chicken in my home, I wouldn't expect you to put one or two pieces onto your plate and all of the other pieces into your purse before passing the empty platter to your left.

January 14, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Andreas Moser

Try to do this: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/babies-are-not-taboo/

January 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. HI NEIGHBOR

WHAT PLANET ARE YOU GUYS FROM

January 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bubba®

Its stealing.... plain and simple.... inconsiderate and low class....

It also increases the cost for everyone is just don't do it you cheap f#%ks

if there were a sugar bowl there instead of single serve would it be ok to take the entire thing?

January 14, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)©

Wow dude. Get on a hateful rant much ?

January 14, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ banasy© 4:32 PM:
    Were *you* serious?
    I didn't say that I was fat, and you may not have meant me–no, you didn't.
    It was NOT banasy©. Es war ein Troll.
    @ Troll:
    For the record, JIF is 5'11", 175 pounds of solid muscle with 6% bodyfat, 16 1/2" biceps, broad straight shoulders, prominent pectorals and triceps, good proportions, abs and a long 32" waist that can be 30" when he gets ripped and buys Diesel jeans.
    That's all you need to know. I work out almost every day.
    Fat, indeed.

January 14, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

@JIF:
      My new phone (Which I still hate) has a reply feature.
      That answer was meant for hamsta.
      It's under his name, which cannot be seen from your Blackeberry (which, of course, I miss. Not yours, mine.)

As an aside, the last time I had my bodyfat checked, it was 19%.
      I am 5'7".
      I am female.
      My measurments are none of anyone;s business....except my husband's.
      That's pretty freaking good, no matter what one may say.

Diesel Jeans?
      I know how old you are, you know how old I am.
      I don't think either of us is old at *all*.

January 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |