January 16th, 2012

Day of service honors Martin Luther King Jr.

he civil rights icon who would have turned 83 this year had a bullet not cut short his life.

President Barack Obama will mark the holiday with a service project at the Browne Education Campus in Washington on Monday morning, and the first couple will attend the Let Freedom Ring Celebration at the Kennedy Center on Monday evening.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is scheduled to speak at the King Day at the Dome rally in South Carolina on Monday, according to organizers of the event. The event will "commemorate Dr. King's life, draw attention to economic and educational equalities in the state, and protest the Confederate battle flag flying in front of the (state capitol) building," organizers said.

A federal holiday to honor King, who was assassinated in April 1968, was first observed in 1986. In 1994, Congress also designated it a national day of service.

On Sunday, park rangers placed wreaths at the Washington memorial honoring the civil rights leader. Members of King's family stood beside the towering 30-foot statue of him as crowds sang "Happy Birthday" at a ceremony.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: U.S.
  1. gung hoe

One of the greatest republicans to have ever lived!

January 16, 2012 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

@willie the pimp you check history and guess he couldve belonged to same party as george wallace or robert byrd.But then he may have been lynched.I still say the kennedys had something to do with his murder.

January 16, 2012 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

When you say stuff like check your history, my antennae automatically goes up...why is that?

January 16, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. s kel

well who the hell killed the kennedys (saw both Dr King and Robert Kennedy when I was a kid) hey gung.

January 16, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. s kel

t

January 16, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tcr c2

Sure somebody pulled the triger on the kennedys, theres a reason that we still have speculation on who shot our leaders. Everybody thinks its a dead end but its not , after all these years and man hours, investigations, and finger pointing ot all leads back to us people, it was our own complacency that got them assasinated, by non else but our own government. I think that if we were somewhat more carefull than they would still be alive. But to find the people that actually ordered those killings than it would be our own gov. In a time within our government it will never be revealed. Just like in MLK, it was done by our own. Mlk set a future example for me to follow, and that is to treat everybody equally and the same reguardless of who or what they are. I grew up with my grandparents using durogatory terms to identify people and it hurt me as a small child. I remember taking buses with my grandmother and wanting to sit in the back, but she would say no because those people sit back there i was six years old at the time. So i go home and ask my what does this word mean? And my dad explained it to me and ill never forget the sadness i experienced from that chat i had with my dad, and he even grew up in oklahoma and could not talk that way. Will anyways MLK as a white person i would like to thank you and the good example that you set for me for the future, ive even instilled these things into both my daughters, and i did the same thing with my daughters

January 16, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm ♔♕

you make an excellent point that the seeds of hatred are sowm and rooted in the home and in the family rather than on the streets. such a sad fact and commentary considering most people view home and family as a source of love.

January 16, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. gung hoe

@skel You were very lucky to see mlk.The kennedys well, I dont think so much.Its a known fact that edward commited murder and got off scott free.@tcr c2 man I couldnt have said it better.I grew up in a very racistfamily,its a desease in my eyes.But past that the democrats backs in mlks day were racist big time and I think to a certain extent they are to this day,they just dont talk about it.Their actions speak louder than a million words can!

January 16, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jean

Meaning what, Philip?
    I think this is a troll.

January 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. gung hoe

@phillip whats that to mean..Racism was tolerated back in the sixties,as people were ignorant then!please dont tell me you are still living in the sixties

January 16, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. gung hoe

@banasy when I said that I meant to go back and take a look at george wallace robert bryd both prominent democrats,and both very racist.Heck as you know wallace darn near became president.Wow what a blow that wouldve been to equal rights.Thats what I was reffering to.

January 16, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |