Steve Jobs action figure shelved
The Steve Jobs figurine was to have featured his trademark black turtleneck.
January 16th, 2012

Steve Jobs action figure shelved

An action figure in the eerily accurate likeness of late Apple Inc. founder Steve Jobs will not happen, its would-be maker announced Sunday.

"The original intention for creating the figurine was driven by a fan’s admiration of Steve," the pop-up announcement at InIcons.com reads. The announcement goes on to say the company has been subjected to "immense pressure" from Apple and Jobs' family to cancel the project.

Apple did not respond to a request for comment.

"Regardless of the pressure, I am still Steve’s fan, I fully respect Steve, and his family, and it is definitely not my wish or intention that they be upset," the unsigned statement says. "Though we still believe that we have not overstepped any legal boundaries, we have decided to completely stop the offer, production and sale of the Steve Jobs figurine out of our heartfelt sensitivity to the feelings of the Jobs family."

Jobs died October 5 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer.

The 12-inch doll was to feature Jobs' iconic black turtleneck, rimless glasses, blue jeans and New Balance sneakers. It was to have retailed for $99.

Shipments were to have begun in February, the San Jose Mercury News reported. Pre-order payments would be refunded, the InIcons statement said.

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Business • Steve Jobs
  1. Al

Even the Woz hates Apple. Take that fanboi's

January 17, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Billy

Yeah, that's why he's always first in line when a new Apple product comes out right?

January 17, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • MatarLaraza

Thank God... There are already enough GAY toys...

January 17, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Jkhn

Even bill gates hates ms. And also google hates android.

January 17, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. bannister

I thought it was cool! After all, nobody would want a Bill Gates action figure!

January 17, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Pete

If it was not for Bill Gates Apple would have folded in 1997. Fanboy.

January 17, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Jkhn

Hey pete. Just because you like to make up things doesnt make it so. Let me try it out. Did you know if it wasnt for apple, android would never have been invented?

January 17, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. Gracie

nobody wants this one either bannister lol

January 17, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. eldono

I don't understand. Why don't they let the market decide? There may be many people who would like to have the figure, but, oh no, Apple and Steve Jobs family come first.

January 17, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. Henry

Apple blew it by making stink out of this. This action figure was free advertising and to the most important group there is -KIDS! Roll the head of the lawyering dope who made this decision.

January 17, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. High Way

I find it stupid the "immense pressure" from Apple and Jobs' family to cancel the project. What best way to honor a man of great genius? I would have bought one in his souvenir.

January 17, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Pete

If you want to Honor the man instead of blowing $99.00 on a stupid doll give that money to pancreatic cancer research.

January 17, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Pete

Actually, I changed my mind. I'm sorry for my crass, self-centered, unkind, absolute elitist post...

I think everyone should be able to express their opinions on Wild Wild West comment tools like this one!

Everybody have a super day, and I'm going to re-evaluate the way I relate to people.

January 17, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Jkhn

Pete, congrats on getting out of the basement. Tell your mom i said hi on the way out to find your job.

January 17, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Steven

Isn't this kind of asinine? I mean, what are going to be his special talents? Unveiling new i-gadgets at trade shows?

January 17, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. Steffan

They knew it would've just ended up on Robot Chicken doing something nasty.

January 17, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Richard

Can we now see less of this phony messiah in the media, or is the hype to continue long after his death?

January 17, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. Rudy

Is there a set? I mean, you would need other action figures for this one to scream and yell at and to steal ideas from and then charge a fortune for.

Remember this guy created nothing...he was just a good at taking what others had created and pushing it to the next level.

Steve was just a salesman folks and that is all.

Remove Waz from the equation and you would have found Jobs selling used cars.

January 17, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  11. James PDX

$99 for an action figure of a creepy, balding, dead a$$munch? I probably better get a 6 pack because I'm a moron.

January 17, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • James PDX

Oops. Did I really post that self-assessment on the internet for all the world to see?

January 17, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. hamsta

@steffan i finally figured out what the steve jobs action figure does.it beats the crap out of my batman and robin action figures cuz they roughed up some kids for singing the batman smells and robin layed an egg version of jingle bells on the christmas episode of robot chicken.

January 17, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  13. Andreas Moser

Steve Jobs is now the richest man in the cemetery.

January 17, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |