Reports: Tebow sustained significant injuries in playoff game
Tim Tebow, No. 15, is sacked by the New England Patriots during Saturday's playoff game in Foxboro, Massachusetts.
January 19th, 2012

Reports: Tebow sustained significant injuries in playoff game

Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow was so seriously injured in Saturday's playoff loss to the New England Patriots that he probably wouldn't have been able to play in this weekend's conference final had the Broncos won, according to news reports.

Tebow suffered torn cartilage where his first rib attaches to his sternum, a bruised lung and fluid buildup in the pleural cavity, the space between the lungs and the membrane that surrounds them, ESPN first reported, citing an NFL source.

The Denver Post also reported the injuries, citing an NFL source, and said Tebow would have been unlikely to play in the AFC conference final.

Broncos spokesman Patrick Smyth told ESPN he could not confirm the extent of Tebow's injuries but said the quarterback played in considerable pain after injuring himself near the start of the third quarter.

Tebow acknowledged playing hurt in his post-game comments, according to the ESPN report. Both reports said Broncos coach John Fox had Tebow's backup, Brady Quinn, warming up to take over, but Tebow wanted to stay in the game even though, by that time, victory was well out of the Broncos' reach.

"I just wanted to show character. You just continue to fight and it doesn't change who you are, how you play, how you go out there, you should be the same at all times. That's what I wanted to show, it didn't matter if it was the first play or the last play or you were down by 42. I was going to be the same player and I was still going to give everything I have. Because that's all I have to give," ESPN quoted Tebow as saying.

Tebow is being treated for the injuries this week in Denver, the Post reported.

Both the Post and ESPN said Tebow is unlikely to play in the Pro Bowl, the NFL's all-star game, in Honolulu on January 29. Tebow was chosen as a second alternate for the AFC squad.

Though his team lost to the Patriots 45-10 Saturday, Tebow won accolades the week before when his Broncos beat the Pittsburgh Steelers 29-23 in a first-round playoff game. Tebow heaved an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime to beat the Steelers.

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Pro football • Tim Tebow
  1. Steve Paradiso

" . . . . the quarterback played in considerable pain after injuring himself near the start of the third quarter." I'm guessing he didn't injure himself, but it was the Pats defense that did the damage. Point here is, someone from CNN ought to be proof-reading this stuff.

January 19, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • VinnyTheShill

Agreed!

January 19, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. Phil

I don't get all the negativity. What's up with that? He was injured in the third quarter, no one has said that was the cause of the loss, so why would any of you say that? He beat the Steelers (my team) fair and square. I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

January 19, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • mfx3

I don't know why he wears pads and a helmet at all...won't God protect him? Guess not.

January 19, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • charles

Why do people keep bashing on Tebow just because of his faith? If he was a black man and out spoken christain no one would say a word. If he was Muslim everyone would say what a great player. Does it really bother you the he has faith? If you dont like it, dont pay attention!! Watch a different game or turn the T.V. off and do something....maybe you will be in the NFL someday. LOL

January 19, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. doug

"If only more christians would get badly injured."

The wishes of the average Democrat displayed nicely at CNN. No wonder they support a president who calls Americans with decency and compassion "the enemy" and a vice president who calls them "terrorists".

January 19, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • brilliant doug

right doug.

half the nation hates christians and you are the first to make such an amazing observation. Oh, and I'm sure there are no atheist or anti-religious republicans of course. and of course, obama is merely faking being a christian. your intellect and analytical wisdom are top-notch. Genius!

January 19, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

..... Like the majority of republicans, who can't stand the fact that the President is African American and a Democrat?

If we are going to tell the truth, lets do it shall we?

Personally, I think Mr.Tebow should keep his religion a private matter, in fact reducing the childish religious vitriol would do this country a lot of good. As a football player I admire his tenacity and wish him a speedy recovery.

January 19, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Spenser Amadeus

And what does your comment have to do with football?

January 19, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • jk

A disgusting comment responded to with an idiotic comment. Most Democrats are Christians. Read some U.S. Census data and look at the overlap.

January 19, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • it's not alot

doug, your comment is what's known as trolling, and if the best thing you have to do with your morning is troll CNN boards, you are clearly a terrorist.
      as a Democrat, a Christian and a decent and compassionate American, I hope you, the enemy, get badly injured.

January 19, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. doug

Good Grief Tebow – give it a rest – you make a mockery of Chrisitanity with your Tebow showboating – ever hear of the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican? Ever hear of the admonition of prayer in private? Not making a display of yourself for your own gain????? Your faith is fake................

January 19, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • nwatcher

Yup, Tebow did all this media stuff on his own. Right! He has not changed anything he has done or said since he started playing football at Florida. It is the media and the American people that has made such a big deal about his faith. Oh, and I'm sure you will hurt his feelings and have a huge affect on his future behavior and beliefs. Give it a rest already.

January 19, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. JT

Jesus had everyone suckered all season by helping out Tebow to get everyone putting their money down on Bronco wins. Then once he had everyone betting on the Broncos he placed his money on Pats to win and kneed Tebow in the chest. Jesus is laughing all the way to the bank.

January 19, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Arbour

I bet you would not dare to say such thing about Mohammed and the Muslims. You know you will be hunted. Coward!

January 19, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • kris cross

Mohammed and the Muslims are a bunch of sand-covered boy-lovers who get off knowing their camel is watching.

January 19, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. kiti

Tebow did not 'injure himself', he 'was injured'.

January 19, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. bet

If I could speak to him like a mom ...I would tell him that he can't carry the team all by himself. If you are injured you have to think down the line for your good and the good of the team. Sometimes you have to stand aside when you can't carry the load and let others fill the gap.

January 19, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. NeutralMind

Jesus will heal him. Haha.

January 19, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • FAN

That is a very true statement. He will heal him. The Lord Jesus ansewers Prayers!!!

January 19, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

"The Lord Jesus ansewers Prayers!!!"

I prayed for the Broncos to win and jesus fuzked me.

January 19, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • FAN

Prayers are ansewerd for Saved people that is !!!

January 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"Prayers are ansewerd for Saved people that is !!!"

I prayed to be saved, right before I prayed for the Broncos to win.

Jesus still fuzked me.

January 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Black

Imaginary friends and invisible god concoctions can't heal anything. Reality is, immaterial incorporeal god figments cannot actually affect anything in the physical world themselves. Though self deceived believers enact upon these irrational delusions. Christians know this, that is why they go to Doctors who practice medicine based on evolution biology to save them when they get sick. Then they hypocritically lie about jesus' healing fantasies.

January 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • fan

Small mind there Joe Black you to derp

January 19, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. OffTheGrid

A recent CNN (poll) ask us if we would like Tim Tebow as a "next door neighbor". My answer to this was a resounding, Hell Yes. However, as a loyal Colts fan, even considering the weekly pain I suffered watching my beloved team lose week after week, I thank the heavens that Timmy doesn't play for our team. Although I believe him to be a fine athlete, he is the worst quarterback in the NFL. I truly feel for the Broncos front office and the pressure they must feel from the Tebow fans who seem to know much about Christianity but little about football. This being said, I too believe in Jesus. I just do not think he wears a Broncos jersey.

January 19, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Great comment. And just to add to it - I think that the Tebow fanatics have done him a huge disservice. Put simply, he is a talented athlete, great runner and hard worker, but currently not a very good quarterback. Given time, he may develop the throwing skills to complement his other abilities and become a good quarterback, but he is not clearly there yet. By anointing him the next great one and unrealistically raising expectations, Tebow fanatics are setting him up to fail.

I live near Denver, and one of the local political radio shows became practically a non-stop Tebow promotion. The conservative host was actually pushing him for league MVP, and was talking the Broncos up as a Superbowl contender next year. By setting such ridiculous expectations, they are setting the stage for an anti-Tebow backlash next year when he inevitably falls short of these unrealistic goals.

January 19, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

I'm glad the jesustard dooshebag does not live next to me.

January 19, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mark

Some of the comments on here make me sick. Whether you approve of his religious beliefs or not, the guy has done more work for various charities at 23 than most of you (including me) will do in an entire lifetime. Have you seen how kids light up when he stops to talk to them before games? Visits them in the hospital?

In an age where most people are all about themselves, this guy is genuinely decent. Some of you cynics could learn a thing or two.

Responses criticizing me for my holier-than-thou post in 3...2...1...

January 19, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • jk

I agree that most of the anti-Tebow comments here are disgusting. However, a lot of charity work is actually self-centered, self-promotional, and about evangelizing as much as it is about helping people. Giving away money when you are overpaid to do a socially useless job is not something to praise very highly. And Tebow's actions, such as showing off with disabled teens in public for TV cameras, are dubious. He certainly does good and attracts funding for good causes. But let's not make a saint of anyone, just as we should not make a devil of anyone.

January 19, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • shonuff09

I agree. But even further, I think people have Tebow wrong. He is "off" when he is on the field and "on" when he is off the field. He is a Christian 100% of the time and a football player part-time. If he lived his life like a lot of others (less honorably) we'd call him fake for that. He is what he is.

January 19, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • BlueEyedVideot

You're kidding, right? Every NFL player is heavily involved in charity work. They just don't publicize it the way the "Tebow Grace Machine" does. And for good reason.

Poor Timmy has convinced himself he is his secret sky-friend's anointed warrior king. If only he could read a play book the way he reads his holy books, he might strive to become the NFL's 2nd worst QB.

Be honest now, do you really think a supreme being cares one whit about a game of football?

My crystal ball says Tebow will be traded by Denver before the start of next season. Two reasons: he's a lousy QB who can't pass the ball, and he's not smart enough to learn what an average QB needs to know to play in the Pros.
      Anybody who is as religious as Tebow is (constantly praying for this and that) is bound to be a few beads short of a rosary. He's bad for football and he's bad for Christianity.

January 19, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • uhh

Anticipating flak for your dumb post doesn't absolve you of anything, nor does it make you look intelligent. It's very easy to be generous when you're overpaid.

January 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

I think a lot of peoples' problem with Tebow can be summed up by a classic Phil Hartman line:

""Experience has taught me that every toothy grin hides an extra row of teeth."

The brighter the figure, the darker the shadow. Frankly, a lot of people just don't trust him and that's the nature of our cynical society. Nobody really wants to believe in decent celebrities anymore.

January 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Barangha the Great

Who you say that Tebow suffered some serious "Teblows" during the game...! I am Barangha the Great.

January 19, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. Andrew

So let me guess... the soap opera that will ensue from this is that it was divine intervention that allowed him to continue throughout the pain? (but not enough to provide him the ability to win the game).

January 19, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. jk

Tebow was injured because he had lousy protection from a lousy team. Lost amid the Tebow hype was that the Broncos were a terrible team that gained fame by beating other terrible teams. The Patriots defense is terrible, and to be beaten up like this by them is a reflection of how bad the Broncos are. NFL football this year in general has been inept. The Packers and Saints getting overhyped for breaking records while playing incredibly soft schedules and having no defense, then having "surprise" losses in the playoffs.... Sports reporters are so easily manipulated, they can't even see with their own eyes anymore.

January 19, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. John T Humphreys

Mr Tebow is just a man ................ and if you do not have Christ in your dirty little heart, you are less than a man .. you are the walking dead ............. it gives me great pleasure to incourage you to get off the pot now and let the savior into your heart. Oh and dont bother trying to curse me or my family. I have already covered you and any curses that may arise, with the Blood of Jesus. You really must do better this year. Jaunty

January 19, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Barangha the Great

Encourage starts with the letter "e", not the letter "i". I pray God gives you a better vocabulary. I am Barangha the Great.

January 19, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • jk

Jesus is the walking dead–literally. If you believe that sort of thing.

January 19, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

I believe that the earth is 426 years old and that unicorns created everything. The unicorns sent sasquatch to earth to die for our sins.

If you believe the same thing as me you will walk the gold lines streets of atlantis drinking free beer and banging hot supermodels for all eternity. If you do not accept sasquatch as your personal saviour, you will freeze for all eternity in the frozen forever world of Freezedonia.

Do you believe in our lord and saviour sasquatch,. or are you bound to freeze for all eternity?

January 19, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe Black

Your heart is a non sentient muscle that pumps blood. You can't put a man inside your heart. Not even a professed zombie like jesus. You suffer from delusional thinking.

January 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Black

Here's another clue for you. These ancient imaginary god figment religions like yours that believe in blood sacrifice and human sacrifice for sin went out of style w/ the Enlightenment during the Rennaissance.

January 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LouAZ

Well, this modern Circus Maximus is ok for team stuff . . . but I really do miss the christians and lions.

January 19, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • BlueEyedVideot

I used to own a lion. Took him to church every Sunday. Well I had to feed him something!

January 19, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |