Reports: Tebow sustained significant injuries in playoff game
Tim Tebow, No. 15, is sacked by the New England Patriots during Saturday's playoff game in Foxboro, Massachusetts.
January 19th, 2012

Reports: Tebow sustained significant injuries in playoff game

Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow was so seriously injured in Saturday's playoff loss to the New England Patriots that he probably wouldn't have been able to play in this weekend's conference final had the Broncos won, according to news reports.

Tebow suffered torn cartilage where his first rib attaches to his sternum, a bruised lung and fluid buildup in the pleural cavity, the space between the lungs and the membrane that surrounds them, ESPN first reported, citing an NFL source.

The Denver Post also reported the injuries, citing an NFL source, and said Tebow would have been unlikely to play in the AFC conference final.

Broncos spokesman Patrick Smyth told ESPN he could not confirm the extent of Tebow's injuries but said the quarterback played in considerable pain after injuring himself near the start of the third quarter.

Tebow acknowledged playing hurt in his post-game comments, according to the ESPN report. Both reports said Broncos coach John Fox had Tebow's backup, Brady Quinn, warming up to take over, but Tebow wanted to stay in the game even though, by that time, victory was well out of the Broncos' reach.

"I just wanted to show character. You just continue to fight and it doesn't change who you are, how you play, how you go out there, you should be the same at all times. That's what I wanted to show, it didn't matter if it was the first play or the last play or you were down by 42. I was going to be the same player and I was still going to give everything I have. Because that's all I have to give," ESPN quoted Tebow as saying.

Tebow is being treated for the injuries this week in Denver, the Post reported.

Both the Post and ESPN said Tebow is unlikely to play in the Pro Bowl, the NFL's all-star game, in Honolulu on January 29. Tebow was chosen as a second alternate for the AFC squad.

Though his team lost to the Patriots 45-10 Saturday, Tebow won accolades the week before when his Broncos beat the Pittsburgh Steelers 29-23 in a first-round playoff game. Tebow heaved an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime to beat the Steelers.

Post by:
Filed under: Football • Pro football • Tim Tebow
  1. Tom Brady

January 19, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jeremy

The non-football media just won't realize the truth about the shallowness that was Tebow-mania will they? Injured in the third quarter huh? So the first half where they were 35-7 and he completed all of 2 passes he was fine? Yeah guess those injuries really sidelined a close game didn't they?

January 19, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • rafael

I don't see that claimed anywhere.

January 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • URDUMB

That wasn't the point of the article at all... The fact of the matter that Tebow stayed in despite being injured and being walloped is pretty honorable... This is coming from a guy who used to hate Tebow...

January 19, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. martin

wow, what is Tebow going to do without all the attention?

January 19, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Allen

The same thing he always does, not care whether or not he's getting it.

January 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Coach Ditka

Tim Tebow can save you 16% of more in car insurance.

January 19, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. dave

i am not a Denver fan nor a tebow fanatic-but the hate show towards him his amazing-guy prays to god -and people flip out-i dont go to church –dont care one way or another -but some of you people on here really show your true colors

January 19, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. American

I just couldn't imagine Chief's Hank Stram or Packers Vince Lombardi wearing a sweater.They were classy coaches and perhaps that's why the coveted trophy is named after legendary Vince Lombardi.

January 19, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. sielingfan

Interesting fact: CNN lets me post exaggerated hate-speech against christians in general, but doesn't let me post a "Let's keep this in perspective" counterpoint to my own parody.

Fascinating.

January 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Question for the fat one.

Nobody believes that God is a football fan. Get real. Whatever Tebow does on the field he does in the name of a very violent sport with bloodthirsty fans, not in the name of God. Jesus didn't show his followers how to brutalize each other. Those rules were made by God's enemies.

January 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tebow4ever

Prayers for Tim and a speedy recovery. I am sorry that so many of you don't know the one true God, Jesus Christ. And why do you criticize him for his believes!?!? He doesn't criticize you for what you believe!!!

January 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dirkdiggler

This article fails to mention that god would have healed Tim before the next game.

January 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

God doesn't care about Football – just our souls – sounds like to me there are a lot of people on this board need saving. Tebow didn't ask for all the attention. He lives his faith – I am glad that we have a guy that our 2 year old will grow up to be like. He wakes up and wants to wear a Tebow shirt. Brady cheats on his wife and that is good. Tebow prays and that is bad. Pray that he is healed – this was his first year as starter and I am sure even Brady was not that good when he started. He will improve and maybe all of your mouth pieces will too!

January 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Francis J Castle

when did Tom cheat on his wife?

January 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"I am glad that we have a guy that our 2 year old will grow up to be like."

Great, your two year old will want to grow up to be the worst passer in the NFL (dead last in completion percentage and yards per game) who is only famous for pandering to jesustards.

Pardon me if I hope for more from my kids.

January 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Will in your world it was his pg girlfriend!! Same thing to me – He was with her at the time – maybe you should check that out. I guess you guys don't want anything said about little golden boy. Look it up

January 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Than

Um, Brady won the Super Bowl in his first year as a starter (2nd year in the league.) I like Tim Tebow's character, but as an NFL quarterback he is gawd-awful (no pun intended.) By the end of next year he will no longer be Denver's starter and in three years he will be out of the league entirely.

January 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

Sorry, I don't care if my son plays football. I care more about his soul and how he cares about people. You are going to hate Tim know matter what. By the way, football is not everything in life. We do not care about if he can pass or run a ball. It is how hard you try – I don't want him doing drugs, starting fights on the field. It really doesn't do any good to tell you what I think. You guys like the Michael Vicks of the world. Let me just say – football is not life.

January 19, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"You are going to hate Tim know matter what"

Wrong, I don't hate Tebow. I think he, like you, is just another silly sky wizard worshipping jesustard.

"By the way, football is not everything in life. We do not care about if he can pass or run a ball"

Then why do you even care about Tebow. There are millions of other people on earth doing more good things than Tebow, but you are not commenting about them. The ONLY reason you even know who he is IS BECAUSE he can pass or run a ball. I guess you are too stupid to get that?

" It really doesn't do any good to tell you what I think. You guys like the Michael Vicks of the world"

So just because I don't worship at the Tebow alter, you assume I am a fan of Mike Vick? How nicely (and utterly incorrectly) judgmental of you. Nice christian values.

You jesustards really are a hoot.

January 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Francis J Castle

LOL at the line " Tebow 'heaved' an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime to beat the Steelers." really? HEAVED??? The receiver was open over the middle it was a 10 yard pass...the WR did the rest..Yards after catch...smh

January 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • sielingfan

When Tebow has to throw ten yards, it's a "heave."

January 19, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Big Al

Wow, he played quarterback hurt for 2 quarters? Kind of like Tony Romo played with a rib in his lung for 4 months?

January 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • sielingfan

Romo had a shot at the playoffs. I mean it was impressive as hell watching him stand in the pocket and take hits, but he had a responsibility to do it.

Finishing a game with dignity when you've already lost, and have every reason to quit, is admirable. Christian or not.

January 19, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brian

Thats right! GOD DOESN'T CARE WHO WINS THE GAME. It's the media that is playing this thing up. Tebow is not the only one that prays or gives glory to God during the game. But for some reason everyone wants to crucify this guy. I don;t want to call anyone one out but, GAY? REALLY? It just go to show how ignorant that somne people can be.

January 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Question for the fat one.

Does President Obama pander to the jesustards? How about Dubya Bush. Who would vote for a jesustard? A jesustard licker?

January 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |