Gotta Watch: When animals steal the spotlight
WJW's P.J. Ziegler interviews a Ohio cow about the comforts of a waterbed.
January 20th, 2012

Gotta Watch: When animals steal the spotlight

If CNN affiliate WJW showed us anything, it’s that animals can easily captivate any audience. After a day of hard news from around the globe or in the political arena, sometimes you just want a cow on a waterbed, right? But luckily for their reporter, these farm animals didn’t turn on him and ruin his live shot. The same can’t be said for some journalists who found out the hard way that animals love to steal the spotlight. Laugh all you want at these videos but heed their warning: humans aren’t the only ones who crave attention.

Friendly dog overwhelms reporter — Poor Randene Neill. All she wanted to do was help out a few shelter dogs in need of a good home. Of course, she didn’t realize her friendly gesture would be taken too enthusiastically. While Neill tries to speak with the shelter owner, Ginger the dog ignores modern conventions of restraint and lavishes her love on the reporter the only way she knows how: licking.

Snake slithers into reporter's pants — KCCI meteorologist Kurtis Gertz promises snakes aren’t scary. Of course, after some crowds watched how one python quickly grew attached to the reporter, maybe they’ll choose scary over creepy. Whether it’s a slithery kiss or a frisky tail, Gertz learns quickly that when a snake is given the chance, it’ll make any crowd discussion “memorable.”

Camel attacks local reporter — Reporters are used to those who disagree with their story coverage, but camels are much more vicious then humans when they show their displeasure. As WWBT’s Tara Morgan discovered while discussing a report surrounding injured farm animals, when a camel wants the attention, it will do anything it can to get it.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Camels • Dogs • Gotta Watch • Snakes
  1. rooney c

That is a pretty cow. True. Animals want attention. Kind of like those annoying trolls. When is cnn going to do a piece on trolls?

January 20, 2012 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. TORI ©

I once lived in a ranch. My parents raised cattle and had mineral rights. They still do. I was 8 years old. I had a favorite cow. I named her Elsa. Everyday I would rush home to see her after school. She loved the attention that I would give her. I even got her a special bell to wear around her neck. She would follow me around the ranch ever so friendly. One day she had a tag on her ear. I asked my mom why she had a tag. She told me that she was going on a long vacation. The next day she was gone. Now I know what really happened to her. I still have that bell.

January 20, 2012 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ TORI:
    Aw.
    I identify with that: my parents served chicken one day for dinner (lunchtime in Mississippi). I was just old enough to walk into the backyard and learn that my pet chicken, Mighty, was not in "his" cage.
    "Where's Mighty?" I asked.

January 20, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. TORI©

Oh Joey, a young boy would be hurt with his pet gone in that manner. My brother and I also had numerous pets on that ranch. I had been warned that my duck would be eaten one day. When that day came and I bit into the cooked duck, I excused myself and spewed it out in private. I burst into tears. I can identify with you.

January 20, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

I was 12 at the time and living in Russia. My grandmother took me to a carnival. I won a baby duck. It was yellow so cute and furry. I raised that duck. It was very playful and would chase children around the block. One day it lay dying. A neighbor attacked it because he thought that my duck, Olga, was vicious. He didn't know that she was only playing. Yes I was a child, but to this day I still remember Olga.

January 20, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rene

My mother has six cats in the house. I know it is her house but geez,six cats. My dad does NOT like animals. But he puts up with it. With my part time job and college I get a little time to give them some play time. But unlike dogs they do not need much attention.

January 20, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Richard

Yes we all have had pets when we were children. Animals are cool but I am more into cars. I'll take a 64 Chey over a cat or a dog anytime.

January 20, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Fish

The friendly dog is hilarious!

January 20, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Dog

The friendly fish is hilarious!

January 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tommy

I have guppies. And they live in a big under water castle.

January 20, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. USAsports

Some stupid snake treid that with me id shoot it. Smae for the camell no way i put up with that.

January 20, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Brad

So in other words, you are scared of animals, and probably most things in this world.

January 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BytraWatches

When I was growing up we had 16 and 3/4 dogs and 18 cats in Union City, NJ. It was 17 dogs until the police came to talk to my parents about having so many pets in the house in the city but the police car ran over one of the dogs and crushed his leg. The police had to pay to have the dog's leg amputated and they forgot why they came in the first place sort of. They did come back a year later and took my parents away after they took the dogs away but they failed miserably with the cats because the cats didn't like the cages and flew the coop. I really felt sorry for the cats because in union city at that time, there was not dirt lots or other places the cats go go to "scratch and cover" their mess behind them, the whole place was stone and concrete.

You people and your stories are great!!! where do I get a cup of your cool-aid !?!?!

January 20, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • MoeGreen

I've heard of a quarter horse... What's a 3/4 dog?

January 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. baatman74

Here's the real story; Dogs untrained and allowed to be that way need to be in a cage; The camel is just curious thinking it is getting some 'browse' because they eat leaves off trees; the snake is just going into a hiding place, the pants, it doesn't have one ounce of ratioal thought. Reporters of these stories need a new profession. just sayin'

January 20, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • DW

Lighten up! What's wrong with a little lighthearted story?

January 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarah

Put in a cage? That will make them far worse, no they just need some obedience training is all. With that they will make excellent pets as both Pits and German Sheps are very smart dogs.

January 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Brad

It's funny, people don't think much about animals, but just like humans, they are very curiouse, very social, they crack me up!

January 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dan north

That first video is what the world should see a pit bull as....pushy lover who wants to be a lapdog. Any other reaction towards people if from abuse or training.

January 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrea M

I dunno, mine's more of a sit-on-your-feet pittie. She knows not to be on furniture so she goes for the logical alternative. It's actually quite pleasant in the winter, she keeps your toes nice and warm! It's fair game if you make the mistake of sitting on the floor though.

January 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Madson

I have a Pit Bull, she is my first dog ever. When I learned my boyfriend wanted a pit I got on the net and did a tone of "training" research. Proper dog training. My baby girl is just like that dog in the video. She is full of love, kisses, affection and very obedient, and constantly plays with our 6 year old son (Actually, she's a babysitter), and when we go to the vet, she has to say hello to everyone. I love that video just for what it shows...a pit bull oooooozing with love. The snake video, I laughed so hard. People are fearful of what they do not know. One should educate oneself before closing one's mind to such things. People are much more dangerous than most animals.

January 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BOMBO ©

Every time CNN does an animal news feature, I'm reminded of the Monty Python News for Parrots sketch.

January 20, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |