New tumors found on brain of baseball great Gary Carter
Gary Carter is pictured during his 1986 World Series-winning season with the New York Mets.
January 20th, 2012

New tumors found on brain of baseball great Gary Carter

Doctors have found new tumors on the brain of baseball Hall of Famer Gary Carter, his daughter wrote in an online journal Thursday.

Last May, Carter, 57, was diagnosed with inoperable brain tumors and began radiation treatments. The new tumors were found after Carter underwent an MRI test after falling during a visit to his doctor's office last week, his daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote in the journal.

The MRI images were examined by Carter's doctors at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina, who informed the family Thursday of the findings.

"There are now several new spots/tumors on my dad's brain. I write these words with tears because I am so sad for my dad," the journal post reads.

Carter's last public appearance was Sunday at a dinner that precedes his annual charity golf tournament in West Palm Beach, Florida.

He could not stand at the podium and spoke slowly from his seat in remarks that lasted about seven minutes, according to a report in The Palm Beach Post.

"I'm not feeling all that good," he said during the remarks, the Post reported. "And I just pray that God will continue to help me because I want to continue to help in any capacity that I can."

He did not make an appearance at the beginning of the tournament the next day.

He used the same words in a phone interview with the New York Daily News two weeks ago.

"I'm not feeling too good. It’s been coming on and coming on. I’ve had a chest cold. I’ve got sores in my mouth, blood clots. I get sick. … There’s just so many things. ... It's been nine months now and I don’t feel any different from Day One," the Daily News quoted him as saying.

Carter played in 19 major league seasons with the Montreal Expos, New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers, batting .262 with 324 home runs and 1,225 runs batted in.

He entered baseball's Hall of Fame in 2003.

Friends and colleagues saluted Carter's courage at the golf tournament dinner.

"I tip my hat to him, because if it was me, I'd probably go off and hide in my house," Davey Johnson, Carter's manager for the World Series champion Mets in 1986, told the Post.

"Talk about a guy who's not selfish one bit. You can't really say enough good things about Gary, and to have to see him suffer like this has, it has really caught our attention," the Post quoted golfer Michelle McGann as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Sports
  1. ssandok

Sad to hear this. Gary Carter was always my favorite player as a kid. Never met him, but he always seemed classy.

January 20, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. metsfan

Keep smiling, Gary! You are one of the greatest, not just a ball player, but genuine great human being.

January 20, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. james

May God be with you.

January 20, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • JMB

Yeah.. god is a great sport.. giving such a thoughtful and caring human being brain tumors.. You can shove your religion where it belongs...

January 20, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

JMB, do you insult everyone who has different beliefs than you? Class Act, you are.

January 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • JMB

Thx for adding nothing Brian.. does every clown have to bring religion into everything.. its awful and not everyone enjoys reading this nonsense..

January 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • KH

You're right, JMB, and I don't enjoy reading your nonsense so I think that you should stop posting. What's that? Freedom of speech, you say? A right to your opinion, you say? Well, apparently we'll have none of that here, good sir!

January 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jake

Sad news. At one point we will all struggle. Good luck Gary. You were fun to watch play ball. You seem like a great guy!

January 20, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kevin

God be with you, youll always be "The Kid". Thank you for all the memories, one of the good guys in baseball that always put others first.

January 20, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. K

Some of my best memories as a kid were of watching Carter and the Expos play at Olympic Stadium. I was even there in 2002 on bobblehead day.

January 20, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Richard

SUCH A SAD STORY.GARY NOTHING BUT CLASS.

January 20, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. NYYFan1

Wow, sad news indeed !! I grew up in Brooklyn, NY back in the 1960's / 1970's as a die-hard NY Yankees Fan. I never really cared for the NY Mets; however, I do remember the legendary Gary Carter, especially during the classic 1986 World Series Fall Classic. After my NY Yankees' lost our former legendary captain, Thurman Munson, in an untimely demise due to an airplane crash, I had always hoped George M. Steinbrenner III would have landed Gary Carter, but it was not to happen.

Anyhow, I would solely like to extend my utmost heartfelt sympathies to both Gary Carter and his entire family. Gary Carter is a TRUE LEGEND and I guess at this stage, I can only hope and pray for a miracle from God on Mr. Carter's behalf. God Bless You, Always, Gary Carter, God Bless You, Always !!

January 20, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Well said

January 20, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. william moore

I always admired Mr. Carter during his playing days. He played the game hard and always gave his all for his team. I admire him still in his battle against cancer. I hope for the best for him and his family.

January 20, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. silveralero

This is a very difficult situation but I am sending prayers to bless Gary and his family during this trying time. I wish the best for you all.

January 20, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. Parkdale

Montrealers may have a hard time believing this, but before the Blue Jays arrived, Torontonians actually gave a damn about the Expos, thanks in no small part to guys like Carter.

January 20, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Brent Jatko

Although I am not a Mets fan (as an Astros fan, 1986 still sticks in my craw), I feel for Gary Carter.

I remember him from his selfless service with the Montreal Expos, and I wish him well in his time of suffering from this horrible disease.

January 20, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. matty alou

Possibly the only one of the Expos players who bought a home in Montreal, learned to speak French, and really became a part of the community. Trading him to New York might have been the right move for the team, but it was terrible for the franchise. I used to have a newspaper photo in my locker of Carter grimacing in pain after fouling a ball off his foot. To me, that epitomized what dedication was all about.
    Fight on, Kid.

January 20, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  14. dfsfsdf

Im not really sure who he is but he is a human being and for this I pray for him and his family. Things alwasy get worse before they get better.

January 20, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  15. Steve Bishop

I remember him playing in Montreal back in the 80's The man had a throw to second that was like a missile. I hope the radiation works. but...

January 20, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |