New tumors found on brain of baseball great Gary Carter
Gary Carter is pictured during his 1986 World Series-winning season with the New York Mets.
January 20th, 2012

New tumors found on brain of baseball great Gary Carter

Doctors have found new tumors on the brain of baseball Hall of Famer Gary Carter, his daughter wrote in an online journal Thursday.

Last May, Carter, 57, was diagnosed with inoperable brain tumors and began radiation treatments. The new tumors were found after Carter underwent an MRI test after falling during a visit to his doctor's office last week, his daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote in the journal.

The MRI images were examined by Carter's doctors at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina, who informed the family Thursday of the findings.

"There are now several new spots/tumors on my dad's brain. I write these words with tears because I am so sad for my dad," the journal post reads.

Carter's last public appearance was Sunday at a dinner that precedes his annual charity golf tournament in West Palm Beach, Florida.

He could not stand at the podium and spoke slowly from his seat in remarks that lasted about seven minutes, according to a report in The Palm Beach Post.

"I'm not feeling all that good," he said during the remarks, the Post reported. "And I just pray that God will continue to help me because I want to continue to help in any capacity that I can."

He did not make an appearance at the beginning of the tournament the next day.

He used the same words in a phone interview with the New York Daily News two weeks ago.

"I'm not feeling too good. It’s been coming on and coming on. I’ve had a chest cold. I’ve got sores in my mouth, blood clots. I get sick. … There’s just so many things. ... It's been nine months now and I don’t feel any different from Day One," the Daily News quoted him as saying.

Carter played in 19 major league seasons with the Montreal Expos, New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers, batting .262 with 324 home runs and 1,225 runs batted in.

He entered baseball's Hall of Fame in 2003.

Friends and colleagues saluted Carter's courage at the golf tournament dinner.

"I tip my hat to him, because if it was me, I'd probably go off and hide in my house," Davey Johnson, Carter's manager for the World Series champion Mets in 1986, told the Post.

"Talk about a guy who's not selfish one bit. You can't really say enough good things about Gary, and to have to see him suffer like this has, it has really caught our attention," the Post quoted golfer Michelle McGann as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Sports
  1. vg6

Pray the Rosary Gary, God will listen. Bless you! Get well.

January 20, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • aeirem

Rosary my butt, I watched my Father die with a rosary in his hand, did not help much did it?

January 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duness

Actually Vg6 your god will NOT listen. Does he listen to the millions of children who die every year due to starvation or disease? No. Instead he should keep his hopes up high that the trained doctors will be able to treat his ailment.

January 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nitrous

Really?

January 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gort01

Rosary???? get real......brain cancer kills, radiation makes brain cancer go crazy...been there with my son....got the tshirt...he's gone...its a terrible disease...so shut up about the stupid rosary

January 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nitrous

Also – I agree with the previous two replies.

January 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

My goodness, the angry, bitter hate directed at religion here is not needed. Fine, you don't believe in prayer. But many others do. Lay off and be a little more toleranr of others.

January 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Some people find it comforting. Why the venom?

January 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • JTM

And they say believers are intolerant. The vitriol on here is disgusting. vg6 was expressing his/her way of wishing him well and for hope. It's not always about praying for recovery to continue your life on earth; it's about praying for eternal life with Him. You don't believe – we get it – but is the hate necessary?

January 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony F.

I remember a coworker from a company I worked at in NYC saying how nice Gary Carter was to him when he was making a deliverey at Shea Stadium. My coworker was carrying a number of boxes to the Mets offices and Gary Carter took some of the boxes and carried them to the offices with him.

If people are going think of you, it's great when the first thing that comes to mind is that you were a nice person. It seems as though any mention of Gary Carter brings up the thought of him being a genuinely nice person.

January 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jOHN

DEFINITELY not a Mets fan, but I remember Gary Carter as a player...he was always a class act...what a shame for him and his family...so much to go through. Why is it that the creeps and child molesters of the world don't get these awful diseases?

January 20, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • truefax

Sure they do, but they're a much smaller fraction of the population, and to top it off no one actually gives a damn when it happens to them.

January 20, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Duness

January 20, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • ken

Duness – To answer your question, yes, Vg6's God does listen to the millions of children who die of starvation and disease, "for of such is the kingdom of heaven", and when they leave this world there is no-more suffering or pain. Aren't we all children in God's eyes?

January 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kathlen Crawford

Gary , the LOrd will never leave nor forsake, but he wants to know you upclose and personal. If you are at all interested the Bible tells us to be born again of water and Spirit in order to fully know Christ, His mercy, His healing love. John 3:1-16.(all of John) Mark 16: 15-18, Acts1, 2, 10, 19... you can receive the true comforter, the Holy Ghost, and be completely at peace .I am filled with the Lords Spirit, and I am Praying for you, to be healed and set free.

January 20, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Duness

Kathleen take your psudo-intellectual garbage somewhere. How dare you throw your religious garbage in this man's face as his health weakens. You should be embarrassed. He doesn't need your god. He needs doctors, nurses and family to help him through this terrible time.

January 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Duness, not everyone is hostile to religion. Try and be a little more tolerant of others.

January 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

So what is so merciful about watching humans suffer in your name? Seems to me God gets a kick out of it all. Oh well, believe, don't, whatever, enjoy the time you got.

January 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Brad - not here to debate religion with you. My point is mocking people who are religious just makes you look like an intolerant jerk.

January 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • JTM

Duness,

Why are you allowed to voice your opinion and Kathlen is not? How is she throwing it in his face? On a CNN blog? If you don't believe – fine – but she is allowed to pray for him or wish him well in her own way....just as you are. Intolerance is not pretty.

January 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Don't listen to the nay sayers Kathlen .... I've never understood why non-believers feel threatened or get upset over someone elses offer of prayers .... if you really don't believe what is the harm? Kind words being answered by hatred.
      I have a loved one who is an athiest ..... he takes offers of prayer or religion as their meant, he acknowledges he doesnt' believe and doesn't think it wll help .... but he appreciates the act of kindness.

January 20, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Blue

One of my favorite players with the Expos. 1 of the best that ever played there

January 20, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. LVmarc

I've met Gary and his family and they're absolutely wonderful people. This is so tragic. My heart goes out to them.

January 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Meq

To Mr. Carter and all those reading this who suffer with cancer, please consider the Budwig diet. My mom was recently diagosed with multiple myeloma so I know what you are going through. You will find everything you need as far as information on the official site. God bless 🙂

January 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. travis fisher

I miss my dad too i hate cancer im sorry you will miss your dad someday as well i wish we knew why so much cancer what chemical or preservative hdta In shampoo soap deoderant and food tetrasodium or cell phones car exhaust or radioactive plumes from other countries or our own who knows

January 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Even if all the man made stuff was cleaned up, you would still get cancer from the sun and from radiation from deep space. It's just a part of living so long.

January 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

Age corrected cancer rates have not changed for generations, except for stomach cancer. That rate has actually decreased. Do some checking of your own, the internet is a powerful tool.

January 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I should clarify, lung cancer trends sharply up or down depending on tobacco usage with each generation. But other rates are more stable.

January 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mgee

Gary Carter is a true giant among men. His contributions to humanity far exceed anythng he has ever done on the playing field. It is so sad to see Gary and his family suffering so much. I know he is a man of great faith, and I pray that this faith helps to sustain him and his family during this awful time. I also hope that Gary and his family know how much love so many people have for him and how many lives he has touched in such a positive way. We have much love for you KID!!!!

January 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Don Diedrick

aeirem-Don't you expect all of us will die someday?Your Dad may have been preparing for his next life,not this one!

January 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ron

The Rosary is for him not you! and since when is not dying the victory too much suffering there comes a time when we all move on to a better place!

January 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kristal

tears r over coming me – please say it ain't so

January 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Brian

My goodness. These comments have been taken over by a group of very bitter atheists who think feel its their place to attack anyone who happens to have different beliefs than them. Fine, be an atheist for all I care. But no need to attack others.

January 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • JTM

This is par for the course on here Brian. Does it go both ways? Yes, but believers are attacked by non-believers at a far more alarming rate. It's sad really that people are so intolerant of other's beliefs – on either side.

January 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kristal

there is No god -where is the evidence – there is none- its just a grab at money now jesus is fact but no there is no god there's just faith there is 1 but a god would not let a mother kill her only child or a god would never allow pedaphiles to molest then murder innocent victims get a life .

January 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MetsFan4Life#8

After just loosing my mother(58) to lung cancer that spread to her brain, even after remission, I feel the pain that The Kid and his family are going through. My mom was a life long Mets fan, and passed that down to me, and it bleeds my heart to see anyone go through this. My thoughts and prayers are with the Carter family and friends. We love you Gary!

January 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BOMBO ©

Sad news. A class act in a world with a lot of bad characters.

January 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |