New tumors found on brain of baseball great Gary Carter
Gary Carter is pictured during his 1986 World Series-winning season with the New York Mets.
January 20th, 2012

New tumors found on brain of baseball great Gary Carter

Doctors have found new tumors on the brain of baseball Hall of Famer Gary Carter, his daughter wrote in an online journal Thursday.

Last May, Carter, 57, was diagnosed with inoperable brain tumors and began radiation treatments. The new tumors were found after Carter underwent an MRI test after falling during a visit to his doctor's office last week, his daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote in the journal.

The MRI images were examined by Carter's doctors at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina, who informed the family Thursday of the findings.

"There are now several new spots/tumors on my dad's brain. I write these words with tears because I am so sad for my dad," the journal post reads.

Carter's last public appearance was Sunday at a dinner that precedes his annual charity golf tournament in West Palm Beach, Florida.

He could not stand at the podium and spoke slowly from his seat in remarks that lasted about seven minutes, according to a report in The Palm Beach Post.

"I'm not feeling all that good," he said during the remarks, the Post reported. "And I just pray that God will continue to help me because I want to continue to help in any capacity that I can."

He did not make an appearance at the beginning of the tournament the next day.

He used the same words in a phone interview with the New York Daily News two weeks ago.

"I'm not feeling too good. It’s been coming on and coming on. I’ve had a chest cold. I’ve got sores in my mouth, blood clots. I get sick. … There’s just so many things. ... It's been nine months now and I don’t feel any different from Day One," the Daily News quoted him as saying.

Carter played in 19 major league seasons with the Montreal Expos, New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers, batting .262 with 324 home runs and 1,225 runs batted in.

He entered baseball's Hall of Fame in 2003.

Friends and colleagues saluted Carter's courage at the golf tournament dinner.

"I tip my hat to him, because if it was me, I'd probably go off and hide in my house," Davey Johnson, Carter's manager for the World Series champion Mets in 1986, told the Post.

"Talk about a guy who's not selfish one bit. You can't really say enough good things about Gary, and to have to see him suffer like this has, it has really caught our attention," the Post quoted golfer Michelle McGann as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Sports
  1. me

People, please don't fault someone for their beliefs... we all find what comforts us... my step mother is suffering from the same thing Gary is, she too was diagnosed last May... but anything serving as comfort and well wishes should not be subject to ridicule... and, by no means am I religious fanatic... all I can say is during times like this, words of comfort are what matters... whether they come from a devout Catholic, a Jew, a Muslim, an aethist... whoever... please first ask if the words came from kindness, then respond accordingly...

January 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • efd600

I would caution you to fully investigate the recommendation that FugginMorons made about the Burzynski Clinic. His conspiracy theory doesn't hold water when you do the research and find out that most of the science around antineoplastons is unproven.

January 20, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • BloominIdiots

You are going to need more than a 1 paragraph hit piece written by a film critic to persuade anybody of anything when it comes to medical science.

January 24, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. From Montreal

Sad news. Always hoped the next news would be good news.
    Go Expos
    Cheers Gary and thanks for the great memories.

January 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PAGAboy

My mom, a metastatic breast cancer patient with brain and lung lesions, died with a rosary in her hand as well. No health issues in her life at all except for this as well as a 'good Catholic'. It didn't help her one iota.

January 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathleen Farrell

You don't know that. Prayer can help a great deal.

January 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • PAGAboy

Define help. It may have eased her stress, but it didn't stop her from dying. If all it took was prayer, we would not need anything else. As was said by much greater minds, "Assertions without proof can be dismissed without proof".

January 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Prayer gives people strength. We will all have to die sometime, the thing that counts is how you choose to face death if you are aware that you are dying.

January 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kevin H

A truly beautiful human being. He's an inspiration.

January 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brian G

The guy has the right to live his last days however he wants. Whether it's in the spotlight or hiding in the corner. So no one should be passing judgement on this man as to what he should and should not be doing. After all, you only get one shot at this lifetime. And nobody should dicate to you how you decide to live your life. I am not a fan of Gary Carter as it pertains to his baseball career, but I can appreciate his right to choose his own path and demise.

January 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MaggieSue

As a former Montrealer and a true fan of the Expos my heart aches for the pain Gary must indure with this terrible disease. My prayers go out to him and his family at this time. If he has to be anywhere Duke here in Raleigh is the best. Keep your chin up and your catchers mitt handy.

January 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hawkeye

@jmb If you dont enjoy reading about religion then dont read the post.Do you know everything you do is recorded in your book of life.I wonder all you nonbelievers if you will tell the father the same thing when you go before him.

January 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • efd600

Is my book of life available on kindle?

January 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • PAGAboy

No, but it's coming to iBook soon!

January 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • efd600

LOL

January 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tillie in Texas

Thoughts and prayers to Gary, his family, friends baseball family. As a lifelong Philles fan, I've seen Gary play many, many times. He was one of my visiting team faves. I hope his time left is pain free and filled with love, peace and wonderful memories. When it's his time, Tug McGraw will be waiting to have a game of catch with him.

January 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eva Slade

A difficult disease to conquer. Many times the course of action is worse than the disease itself.

I wish you well, Gary

January 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Random Comment

I feel sorry for anyone who has to endure the primitive semi-effective efforts of modern medical science in treating tumors.
    Chemo-therapy is just pumping someone full of poison in the hopes it will kill or stop the cancer - and that is something right out of the dark ages!!
    Radiation therapy isn't much better, as it uses lethal radiation in a bid to do the same thing and getting it focused on the tumors is problematic.
    Inoperable tumors are the worst sort. And in his brain! The poor guy. If I was him I'd be saving money and suffering by using a mercy-killing machine instead of the long drawn-out torture of all those treatments which carry no guarantees of any sort. At some point there will be nothing left to try and he will lay there unable to do anything not even ask for release.
    But so many people are so desperate to stretch out those last moments regardless of cost or effectiveness or pain.
    It's very sad.

January 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peachlady

It is not too late to get other Alternative Non-Toxic Treatment. I tried it myself. I am very lucky.
      Please read the book: Outsmart Your Cancer: Alternative Non-Toxic Treatments That Work (Second Edition)

January 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Semper fi

NEGU! never ever give up.

January 20, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sgurdog

So sad to hear about Gary. When I think of Gary Carter I will always remember him smiling and jumping in jubilation during the most amazing world series game I've ever witnessed.

January 20, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nicholas Junior High Alum

Gary you were my junior high crush. To see this news makes me very, very sad. I will pray for you and your family!

January 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. susan

Gary, Thank you for sharing your life with us. May you not be in pain and suffering. May you live whatever life you have with your family, making wonderful memories for them!

January 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mary

Mr. Carter, I'm sorry you are going thru what you are going thru and struggling to do so. I'm sorry for your family too. I really, really hope that God answers all your prayer's and those of the millions who love you who too pray for your health. I don't know what to believe, but that does not matter. Now it's about what you hope and believe what will happen. I don't know you sir, but I will stand behind you and your beliefs. Good luck and I know you feel the love of your family, friends and fans. Maybe that's what it's all about.

January 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |