New tumors found on brain of baseball great Gary Carter
Gary Carter is pictured during his 1986 World Series-winning season with the New York Mets.
January 20th, 2012

New tumors found on brain of baseball great Gary Carter

Doctors have found new tumors on the brain of baseball Hall of Famer Gary Carter, his daughter wrote in an online journal Thursday.

Last May, Carter, 57, was diagnosed with inoperable brain tumors and began radiation treatments. The new tumors were found after Carter underwent an MRI test after falling during a visit to his doctor's office last week, his daughter, Kimmy Bloemers, wrote in the journal.

The MRI images were examined by Carter's doctors at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina, who informed the family Thursday of the findings.

"There are now several new spots/tumors on my dad's brain. I write these words with tears because I am so sad for my dad," the journal post reads.

Carter's last public appearance was Sunday at a dinner that precedes his annual charity golf tournament in West Palm Beach, Florida.

He could not stand at the podium and spoke slowly from his seat in remarks that lasted about seven minutes, according to a report in The Palm Beach Post.

"I'm not feeling all that good," he said during the remarks, the Post reported. "And I just pray that God will continue to help me because I want to continue to help in any capacity that I can."

He did not make an appearance at the beginning of the tournament the next day.

He used the same words in a phone interview with the New York Daily News two weeks ago.

"I'm not feeling too good. It’s been coming on and coming on. I’ve had a chest cold. I’ve got sores in my mouth, blood clots. I get sick. … There’s just so many things. ... It's been nine months now and I don’t feel any different from Day One," the Daily News quoted him as saying.

Carter played in 19 major league seasons with the Montreal Expos, New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers, batting .262 with 324 home runs and 1,225 runs batted in.

He entered baseball's Hall of Fame in 2003.

Friends and colleagues saluted Carter's courage at the golf tournament dinner.

"I tip my hat to him, because if it was me, I'd probably go off and hide in my house," Davey Johnson, Carter's manager for the World Series champion Mets in 1986, told the Post.

"Talk about a guy who's not selfish one bit. You can't really say enough good things about Gary, and to have to see him suffer like this has, it has really caught our attention," the Post quoted golfer Michelle McGann as saying.

Post by:
Filed under: Baseball • Sports
  1. Juan Carlos Ruiz

A legend on the field and a gentleman off the field. A class act from top to bottom. An honor to know you, a privilege to have played with you and nothing but best wishes and prayers for you and your family.

January 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • pockets

Mr.Carter has been and will be a class act, its to bad the Cancer Business has done literally nothing to save people from this killer disease. Its a money making machine and until such time as these people are finally stopped from continuing on in this nature then more people like Gary Carter will suffer. I wish you wll Mr. Carter, may for suffering soon stop.

January 20, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • NotanexpertbutIstayedHIexpress

Hey Pockets, you have no idea what you are talking about. I do it for a living. Cancers that not long ago were an automatic death sentence are routinely being cured. There have been huge advances in cancer treatment, so don't make ignorant statements about things you know nothing about.

January 21, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • PAUL SWEITZER

GOD, CAN AND WILL HEAL YOU IF YOU ONLY BELIEVE NO MATTER WHAT YOU SEE IN THIS WORLD GOD IS HEALING YOU JUST BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ " 10 HRS TO LIVE " BY BRIAN WILLS IT WILL PROVE IT TO YOU.

January 21, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. Johnnieg

God Speed Gary ...Thanks for the memories with the New York Mets

January 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marty

Thank you Gary for your time on earth. You made life better for an untold number of people
    May G-d keep you close

January 20, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. James

It's been nine months now and I don’t feel any different from Day One

Poor guy...probably would have had a better quality of life without the treatments. I've so iffy on our treatment regimen for these things...seems barbaric to me for little or no chance of success.

January 20, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ike

I feel for him and his family, I know what is all about, my son also has brain tumor, ependymoma. My advice to them is to be strong and pray and pray. God works miracle.

January 20, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. matt

I'll never forget the 86 mets. My family was going through a tragedy with my brother suffering from mental illness at 16. You and the mets provided some joy during that time. Good luck Gary and God Bless You.

January 20, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MetFan1969

Gary, you were a joy to watch play and the energy you brought to the field everyday will help you get through this. Rooting for you louder than ever. Someone up high will hear our cheers for your recovery!

January 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Easy E

I hope he gets proton beam therapy, it's WAYYY better than the gamma knife. I hope he can beat this cancer.

January 20, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Gary Poole

I played Little League with Gary way back in 1964-1965 in Fullerton, Calif. Gary's dad was our coach. I had not seen Gary for several years until he played in the Bob Hope Classic pro/am golf tournament in Palm Springs. As I approached Gary I was quite confident he would not even remember me. To my surprise, when seeing me he called out my name and we quickly renewed a strong friendship. Even after receiving many baseball honors and elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, he still took time to acknowledge a friendship of long ago. Mr. Class Act. May God bless you and your family and loved ones.

January 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. scott

We should all hope to be spoken this highly of, very sad story...keep fighting Mr Carter.

January 21, 2012 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. larry5

I wonder if he's heard of the success that the Burzynski clinic in Texas has had with this form of cancer?

January 21, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. ___________________

God bless 'em...

January 21, 2012 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Fred Moresby

Yeah, the doctors and medical community in general don't want to "cure cancer"; this disease brings in billions of dollars of research money and employs tens of thousands of people. Also, one of the news shows reported that less than 1% of all donations actually goes towards research...that the rest is ate up in "administrative expenses".
    Sheesh. Can you imagine giving say...$10 million to research, only to find out that only $100,000 actually 'made it to the labs', so to speak? Terrible, terrible "business", it is. So, one would be wise to REALLY research where and how much of any large charitable contribution goes.

January 21, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. WE THE PEOPLE

I PLEDGE ALIGENCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA FOR WHICH IT STANDS ONE NATION UNDER GOD WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!

January 21, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Betty

Gary Carter was my young daughter's favorite baseball hero when he played for the New York Mets. I'm so sorry he is so ill. I'll keep him in my prayers. I also thank him for being an outstanding role model for all the young baseball fans.

January 21, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |