January 26th, 2012

Australian PM escorted out of building amid protest

Security officers escorted Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard out of a Canberra restaurant Thursday after an angry mob of protesters surrounded the building during a luncheon ceremony, police said.

Gillard and federal opposition leader Tony Abbott were taken out of the building after a group of between 50 and 100 protesters from a nearby ceremony gathered around the building, bashing windows and brandishing sticks and rocks, according to federal police.

The prime minister was presenting medals to emergency service workers during an Australia Day celebration. In a nearby venue, a spontaneous protest erupted with an Aboriginal rights group. The group was commemorating the 40th anniversary of an Aboriginal "tent embassy."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Australia
  1. Cheryl

Note how the footage of her getting into the car, and the protester jumping in front of the car's hood, is repeated TWICE to make it look worse than it is. The security is overreacting, and the protesters are a bunch of people in casual clothes doing nothing serious. This footage is a carefully edited big drama to demonize innocent protesters.

January 26, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. BOMBO ©

"bashing windows and brandishing sticks".

I haven't heard the words bashing and brandishing for a long time. The Aussies know how to do things with style.

January 26, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. fernace

Yay, to people protesting unfair governmental practices all over the world! Go World Citizens,we all must take back our right to HAVE rights! The Kings & peasants system crashed for a reason! The people of the world wont put up w/it anymore!!

January 26, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. saywhat

This was something to do with the rights of Aborginies. We seldom hear of these real Australians outside of some National Geographic old issues.

January 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • I hit puberty in 1971

National Geographic was great for looking at native b00bies!

January 26, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

I've been there. At the risk of getting blasted from all directions, I'll say they are more clueless than many of the native activists in North America. Why would you violently protest giving medals to emergency workers? It makes no sense.

January 26, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. the Internet Comic

Hey, good thing that Steve Irwin guy didn't live to see this. He'd be all "Crikey, that was too close. That rock almost hit me in the wanger mate." BDUMP-BUMP.

Hey, thank you. I'm here all week. Try the veal.

January 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

@ BOMBO
    clueless is right. Probably they are disorganized & without leadership.

January 26, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

That's usually the way it is when a group of people get brushed aside by people from the Western world...this has been going on a long time, and it's doubtful that anything will change unless they have a more decisive path of leadership with someone who is somewhat versed in politics.
      These are a simple people.

January 26, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Zelina

I like it in back

January 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. escort massage

I've been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts in this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site. Reading this information So i am happy to express that I have a very good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I most no doubt will make certain to don?t overlook this website and give it a glance regularly.

July 10, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ajaa Nettaj

It's in reality a nice and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

July 11, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |