January 30th, 2012

Occupy Oakland demonstrations, arrests inject new life into movement

Oakland City Hall was set to reopen Monday after municipal employees worked to clean up damage they said was caused over the weekend by Occupy protesters, about 400 of whom were arrested following clashes with police in this Northern California city.

The mass arrests, described by police as the largest in city history, appear to have injected new life into the Occupy movement as protesters in a number of American and European cities took to the streets Sunday to express their solidarity with the Occupy Oakland group.

"The Occupy movement will respond, as we have always responded: With an overwhelming show of collective resistance," Occupy Wall Street said in a statement posted on its website.

Occupy Oakland is part of a larger movement that began last year on New York's Wall Street and quickly spread across the globe. While the protesters have highlighted a number of causes, the overarching theme remained the same: populist anger over what activists portray as an out-of-touch corporate, financial and political elite.

From Philadelphia to Des Moines, there were reports of Occupy protesters taking to the streets in mostly non-violent demonstrations.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Occupy Wall Street
  1. jb

I'm at my job today, earning my own keep. I'll do my best to reduce my 2011 tax payment so the Federal Gov't won't have it to give to lazy people.

January 30, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

ok hamsta i used 2 think you were a misunderstood nice young man! Now i know your not, youre just pretending 2 be someone youre not, in other words youre a *figment of your own imagination* and i dont have time to waste on someone tryin to be someone else

January 30, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

@ hamsta if that statement was directed at me ive worked since i was l4 and in my adult life ive usually always had 2 or even sometimes 3 jobs. Workaholic has been a way of life for me. So dont pretend you have any clue as to what kinda person i am!

January 30, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

ok i agree my last 2 posts dont make much sense because my lst one didnt make it to the board. the jist of it was if you were reall y part of the l% you wouldnt be wastin your time here so that makes me think your a liar!

January 30, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy ©

j@chrissy:
    I recall someone saying just yesterday, I believe, that he was poor...thereby making a claim to be a 1% null and void... perhaps a 1% sympathizer...

January 30, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy ©

@chrissy:
    For further confirmation, go read the last page of comments on the "Oakland is fed up" thread.
    You'll see what I am talking about.
    It's hard to keep up a facade when one doesn't remember what one writes.

January 30, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

You need to educate yourself, hamsta! Your"understanding"of socialism is hilarious! We & all "westernized" nations depend on socialism in 1 form or another! All it means is that tax $ paid by citizens goes to various "socially" needed programs such as public school, roads, healthcare, & paychecks for public officials! Did you go to a public school, do you use roads to drive on, does your city have a police/fire department!? Oops! I think you're a socialist! Most of Europe has social programs to a certain extent! Are you saying Europe is tantamount to a third world country? What IS true is that nations w/strong social programs supported by citizens, fare much better & have a much stronger solidarity than nations w/out it! Why don't you find out where we stand in the world when it comes to education & livingstandards! We're not even in the top 10! OWS is worldwide now because the corporate/government love-affair has spread across the globe & all hardworking citizens everywhere are suffering from the fallout!!

January 30, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Black Rat

Fck democracy! Socialism is better!

January 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. hamsta

@fernace all this socialist crap is whats failing in americca.take that crap back to greece where it came from.

January 30, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. hamsta

@fernace police and public school isnt socialism but welfare and food stamps are.whatever the case public school is a failure and so are the police.and by the way im more of an anarchist than a socialist.i dont need a government to regulate everything in my life,perhaps you do so you can take your brainwashed self to socialist greece and let them control your life.

January 30, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • B

Please look up the meaning of anarchist. If thi is truly what you mean....

January 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. B

Again, the United Stated cannot deport its citizens to a country where they have no citizenship.
    It cannot be done.
    No where, no way, no how.
    No matter how one would like to.

Now, I HAVE visited Greece.
    Beautiful, breathtaking country.

January 30, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. fernace

I used to think hamsters where cute little furry animals, but you, hamsta, have big nasty teeth. You sure you're not a gerbil or better yet, a capybara!? I do know you're some kind of angry rodent! Why are you so mad at Greece? Bad vacation memories??

January 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. hamsta

@fernace im not mad at greece.citizens in greece are protesting and rioting because socialism failed as it always does.citizens in america are protesting and rioting because they want socialism so send them to greece where they will be happy.you said i need to be reeducated?maybe you need to live in greece and reeducate yourself.

January 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. hamsta

@banasy you are right i did make a grammatical error. i meant to say i was in the 99 percent,the poor.but dont think you're special just because you rode the short bus and cant understand that punishing the rich man will have negative consequences for everyone.

January 30, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

Hamsta.
      Do you possibly think that you are funny when you say things like that?
      Do you not know that you have offended a large portion of the populace who have children who have special needs?
      Do you always have to try and insult people who disagree with you, even when you have been caught in a lie?
      I'm sure you cannot help the way you are.
      I'm sure it's because you have survived Katrina.
      You, and about a jillion other people, who, by the way, aren't on here posting insulting garbage....
      Guess it's not Katrina after all.
      I guess you were born that way.
      And that makes you *very* special, indeed.

January 30, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

Sounds like hes mad at the whole world! And hamsta wherever did you get the idea WE need the government to regulate everything in our lives?? Thats my biggest pet peeve, which ive voiced on many occassions, our gov is involved in way more than need be!

January 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |