Experts advise ending Concordia underwater salvage
Technicians work Friday near the wrecked ship Costa Concordia in front of Giglio island.
January 31st, 2012

Experts advise ending Concordia underwater salvage

Technical experts directing the salvage operation aboard the Costa Concordia cruise ship are recommending that the underwater part of the operation be called off because it is becoming too dangerous, Italy's civil protection agency said Tuesday.

The head of the operation, Franco Gabrielli, will make the final decision, but is unlikely to go against the recommendations of the technical experts, his office said.

The advice is based on safety concerns and follows consultations with relatives of the people still missing from the shipwreck and diplomats representing their countries, the civil protection agency said.

A total of 15 people remain missing after the cruise ship's collision with rocks off the coast of Tuscany on January 13. Seventeen bodies have been recovered. There were about 4,200 people on the cruise liner when it crashed.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Italy • Travel • World
  1. Chris

That ship is just sticking out of the water. They're have to remove that ship eventually whichever way it takes so I guess that's when they'll find the bodies.
    Chris

January 31, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

I agree.
      There is no chance of any survivors at this point.

January 31, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I can see almost no argument to be made in favor of risking one more life to recover bodies.

January 31, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dazzle

Hello Joey, Tori wanted me to say farewell to you and thank you for your kindness. She also mentioned a banasy and a bobcat. I have confiscated her phone after finding her in her room in tears regarding some horrible trash written about her. I am going to track those people down on these boards. She's a good kid but still very sensitive to criticism. I may see you around here.

January 31, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy ©

@ Dazzle:

I shall hope to see TORI© again.
    She is a wonderful young lady.
    Good luck on your quest, for I have been on the bitter end of that stick on an almost daily basis since I started blogging here.
    Give her my best, and please let her know I'll be thinking of her.

GD jerks...chased away another one...
    May they all choke on their victory.

January 31, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dazzle

I'm so glad you saw my post to Joey, banasy. TY, we are very proud of Tori. She thinks very highly of you too. This is a lesson learned for her, I hope. She was hoping to get emails of her 3 favorite people but I can't see how that is possible.

January 31, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

I don't know, either, Dazzle.
      Giving it out here would be deadly.
      She can FB me; Donna Banas.
      I'm the one with the Bill Waterson snowmen.
      She can PM me.

The others?
      I don't know.

She'll be in my thoughts.
      She made quite an impression.

January 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ Dazzle:
    TORI is a wonderful young woman. Please tell her that I said she should come back here and completely ignore her critics. If anything, she should enjoy the fact that they are jealous of her.
    Joey

January 31, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ Dazzle:
    Please tell TORI© that I said this:
    Any time that you do anything good or important in your life, a lot of little people will hate you for it.
    If you, TORI, want to fulfill your potential, get used to the hatred: it comes with the territory of achievement.

January 31, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy ©

I want to know what was said and where, so I know who to complain about.

@JIF: Well said.

January 31, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ banasy:
    Good evening, good buddy.
    Thanks. I live by that expectation, and my one-word motto, Härte.

January 31, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. pmk1953

Banasy, the tip you gave JIF works for me. I never thought to use the full site on my phone. At least android and the full site get along. I wasn't getting along with android for a couple of weeks myself. I still like my windows phone better, but I couldn't find one cheap enough with an upgrade. I'll start spendin more time on here now that I can post.

January 31, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

YAY!
      I am so glad you are back! I missed you!

January 31, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

@ pmk 1953:
    I took the tip from banasy, but I think she gave it to somebody else...s kel? bobcat? leeintulsa–I'd bet on lee. (Trivia Quiz.)

January 31, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy ©

I give advice whether one want to, or not, 🙂

I'm glad it's working.

My phone is Android-driven, and I DISLIKE IT INTENSLY!!

I have GOT to get used to it: stuck for two years.

Takes awesome pix, though!

January 31, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • pmk1953

I thought the actual keys on my Jack were too small. These touch-screen keys are ridiculous. I have pudgy fingers and constantly hit the adjacent key. If I turn the phone to landscape, it's a little better. I kept reading even though I couldn't post. I noticed the rhoid was on last week.

January 31, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy ©

SEE WHAT I MEAN???

January 31, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. **cosmicVox *

"Sticks and Stones may Break my Bones but Trolls shall Never Hurt Me."

January 31, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • pmk1953

Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains (and whipped cream) excite me.

January 31, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy ©

They sure hurt Tori

January 31, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

@ banasy, it was whoever trolled gung hoe.

January 31, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

Lol @ pmk, rhoid huh? Cant even imagine who that might be, yes im bein sarcastic. Lol

January 31, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • pmk1953

Actually, I noticed 2 rhoids. One of each variety. One using the original name, and the other with a new shorter spelling. I lurked on here for a few months before I got fed up and started commenting.

January 31, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

Avoid the rhoid.
      Oh, wait, that's avoid the NOID!
      No matter, avoidance in necessary in any case.

And the more things change, the more they really don't....lol!

@chrissy:
      Anytime. Your vents are of the humorous variey, anyway...no offense, but you do have a way with the turn of a phrase...vent away, darlin'!

January 31, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |