February 3rd, 2012

Komen reverses decision to stop Planned Parenthood funding

The Susan G. Komen foundation has reversed a controversial decision not to renew funding for Planned Parenthood projects for breast cancer screenings, the group said in a statement Friday.

"We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women's lives," the group said.

"We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities," the group  said.

The announcement comes three days after Komen, a group supporting breast cancer research, said it would stop the funding, saying that it decided it would no longer fund groups under federal investigation. Congress in September began investigating whether Planned Parenthood, a prominent family planning organization, illegally used federal funds to provide abortions.

But on Friday, Komen said that it would "amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political."

"Our only goal for our granting process is to support women and families in the fight against breast cancer.  Amending our criteria will ensure that politics has no place in our grant process," the group said.

Some Planned Parenthood supporters had alleged the decision to withhold funding also had to do with abortion. Anti-abortion advocates around the country had questioned the Komen foundation about its grants for months, prompting the foundation to release a statement last year saying that "Komen funding is used exclusively to provide breast cancer programs."

In Washington, at least 22 Senate Democrats signed a letter calling on Komen to reconsider its decision.

CREDO, which describes itself as the largest corporate donor to Planned Parenthood, said Thursday that 250,000 of its members had signed a petition urging the Komen foundation to reverse its decision.

"The move is clearly connected to attempts by Republicans in Congress to defund Planned Parenthood," the organization said in a statement.

Planned Parenthood said funding from the Komen foundation has largely paid for breast exams at local centers. In the last five years, grants from the group have directly supported 170,000 screenings, making up about 4% of the total exams performed at Planned Parenthood health centers nationwide, according to the group.

FULL STORY
  1. Kiki

It is gratifying to see so many men and women stand up for women and for choice and to support PP which helps low income men and women live better lives. This is a true victory against those who wish to return to a time when women were not permitted to control their fertlility, bodies and lives.

February 3, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

Yet another great example of how religions claim to be benevolent, but, in reality, do everything under the sun to prevent the real benevolent people from doing their jobs.

February 3, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. hippediva

Day late, a dollar short. Who do they think they are? Netflix? *snickers*

February 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alex

Pro Choice is the majority and Komen realizes that now...a bit too late

February 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arbour

Pro-life is majority in all credible polls. Check out the fact first.

February 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Wrong. It runs about 50/50.

February 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. AMERICA 1st.

Planned Parenthood eats live babies! Gingrich 2012!

February 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • nothing new here

Gingrich eats wives!!
      Gingrich wants to mate with Moon Women!!!!

February 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Margaret Doyle

This was purely a political move by
    Komen-the damage is done, no more $$ to Komen-I stand with Planned Parenthood-keep your damn laws off our bodies!

February 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Obiter Dictum

I have volunteered and assisted SGK for several years and I am extremely sadden to witness what I perceive as caving on their principles. One may say the old adage is correct, the squeaky wheel gets the grease whether it is right or not doesn't matter. Kudos to PP, they have bullied their way once again.

February 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Primewonk

SGK funded Planned Parenthood for years. Why were you donating to them then?

February 3, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • nothing new here

Then why were you donating all this $ to Komen?

February 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obiter Dictum

I volunteer my time and $ because I believe in the "overall" good and committment of the organization. I also, believe SGK and any other private charitable organization should be allowed set their standard or requirement for donating funds and not get bullied into being told "who they have to donate to" I personally do not believe in abortion, but I equally believe that it is ultimately a woman's final decision (note that fathers do not have a say). How many of the posters griping actually volunteer time or send money to either organization?

February 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

You really think Komen was ‘bullied’ by PP to fund them in the first place?Really?

February 3, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obiter Dictum

Not in the first place. However, they are being "bullied" into giving them money now.

February 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Texan

Smart move Komen Foundation. Had you not reversed your bone-headed decision to defund breast health at Planned Parenthood, all my future donations were going to Planned Parenthood instead of you.

February 3, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arbour

In abortion debate, the phrase "women's right to choose" means women's right not to be inconvenienced by carrying the baby for 9 months and raising her. I can understand and respect when people don't want that. But If you don't want that inconvenience you should have used contraceptives before sex as if you don't know what sex can lead to (duh?) Baby's right to live should always trump anyone's right not to be inconvenienced by her birth. I am not talking about abortion due to rape or mother’s life in danger. They account for very small percentage of abortion. I am talking about abortion due to irresponsibility. You can have the baby adopted after birth. It’s only 9 months of inconvenience. Is this too much to ask? Does the baby must die because you don’t want to be inconvenienced for 9 months?

February 3, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obiter Dictum

So now you WILL donate to SGK and not Planned Parenthood?

February 3, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Liz

Thank you Komen Foundation for reversing this decision and remaining a trustworthy advocate for women's health and safety. I remember how important they were in my life.... When I was 21 and about to become sexually active for the first time, my boyfriend asked me go with him to find out about birth control. He had heard of planned parenthood and their services for men and women and so he felt comfortable going there. If he hadn't suggested it, we wouldn't have used any protection because despite being a Physics major at a famous university I knew almost nothing scout the high risk of pregnancy – no one had ever taught me and I was pretty geeky and too squeamish to ask about such foreign womanly topics. The PP doctor asked what protection I was planning to use and when I said nothing she looked at me sternly and asked if I wanted to be an unwed mother because 80% of women who have sex once a year will get pregnant. Well, the math spoke eloquently to me. No one had ever told me how high the risk of pregnancy was before! They offer great health services when you are sick as well as inexpensive scteenings for VD. I'm married and insured and working full time but I still go to PP. THANK YOU PP, THANK YOU LINEN FOUNDATION for your support of women's health!

February 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. D

Let us remember all the great things that Planned Parenthood does, like STD screening and prevention, women's health services, breast cancer screening and prevention, contraception, etc. These are great things that should not be ignored. A mere 3% of what they do involves abortions.

February 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Laverne

The Susan G. Komen Foundation provided grants for breast exams and not abortions. Can anybody really say for sure where money is going when you donate to any organization, but if the intent was for and there is evidence of saving lives then so be it! This was another attempt by the social right wing of America to try and tell women what they can and can not do with their bodies. They continue to say progressives want too much government intrusion in our lives, but what do the repubs think it is when you want to tell women what they can and can not do with their bodies. Even if someone elses moral values are different, that's fine, but you can't impose your will on people even if you believe with all your heart it is the right thing to do. God will judge, NOT MAN!

February 3, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obiter Dictum

Lol, tell that to a Judge.

February 3, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

You shouldn’t judge, either, Laverne.
      Let God do that.

February 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Midwest wonderer

I will no longer support Komen because of the decision they made to no longer assist Planned Parenthood.
    With this reversal, I will still no longer support any charity that allows politics to drive their decisions!
    The decision to pull the support from PP was purely political!
    My decision today to never 'run for the cure' again for Komen is also purely political!!!

February 3, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MaryM

Good for Komen. Now I can continue to support the SF Susan Komen group. BUT, we will be watching Komen for future mistakes such as this one.

February 3, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pugpwer

Thank God (yes, God!) that Komen decided to stand up for what is right (after a moment of weakness). We cannot allow ourselves to be bullied by religious zealots, regardless of what religion they subscribe to.

February 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jkex

Why bother, in two short years were all going to be happily living under Obama-care anyway!

February 3, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |