February 8th, 2012

Judge orders man to take his wife out to dinner, buy her flowers

A marital dispute has resulted in an unusual court ruling in Florida. Broward County Circuit Court Judge John Hurley ordered 47-year-old Joseph Bray of Plantation, Florida, to buy his wife flowers and take her out to dinner, among other things.

The Orlando Sentinel reports that instead of setting bond for a domestic violence charge, the judge ordered the man to take his wife on a date and then undergo counseling.

"He's going to stop by somewhere, and he's going to get some flowers," Hurley said during the first appearance hearing. "And then he's going to get a card, he's going to get flowers, and then he's going to go home and pick up his wife, get dressed, take her to Red Lobster. And then after they have Red Lobster, they're going to go bowling."

The Sentinel reported that Bray's wife told Hurley the couple's fight started after her husband didn't acknowledge her birthday. She told the judge she didn't get hurt during the argument and was not afraid of her spouse.

Hurley read from an arrest affidavit that Bray pushed his wife, held up his fist and put his hand on her neck but never hit her during the incident.

"I want him to come home," she told the judge.

Hurley's judicial assistant told CNN that Hurley "doesn't comment on open cases to the media," but said the judge doesn't take any of his cases lightly and considers all of them important matters.

CNN contacted the Bray family, but they refused to comment on the case.

Post by:
Filed under: Florida • U.S.
  1. Mary

I believe the Judge has it in reverse... the counseling comes first then the flowers then the dinner and bowling.

February 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary

I also believe the wife needs even more counseling than the husband if she wants him to come home now. Let him sit in jail and get the treatment he needs to think about his actions. Having him come home with out counseling isn't showing love to her husband in any way shape or form.

February 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Portland tony

CNN...GO FIND SOME NEWS!

February 8, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

@ ♔Mmmmm♕ ... Looks nice! Playing around with the look of your u/n I see
    I gotta hit the sheets early
    Night 😉

February 8, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ♔Mmmmm♕

...the judge's bench is usually condemnation and humiliation...i like how his ruling was more corrective than punishment, choose reeducate with counseling rather than the debt of justice...complete his ruling without further assaulting a strained marriage...way to go judge hurley, good call!

February 8, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Sure wish my husband would learn from this story.

February 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Not me.
      Troll.

February 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gung hoe

I think that you should have to go thru counseling and take your wife out on the town before a divorce is granted.Unless theres abuse involved.

February 8, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Frashini©™

Interestingly enough, the husband can't remember his wife's birthday? I still remember Jessica's birthday. They call it puppy love,but Jessica and I were in the 7th grade and so in love. I remember being so nervous on our first date. We went to see a movie. As I held her hand, I felt so accomplished and content beyond words. I wonder if married people still remember their first love. Happy birthday Jessica,where ever you are. I hope you got what you wanted from life.

February 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♔Mmmmm♕

lol...

February 8, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

OK, in grade 7 you would have been 12, that was 105 years ago...did they have movies in 1907?

February 9, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
    • TORI ©

@jif, you are such a dear romantic. These Fl.folks are out of their minds. What did this judge put in his coffee to render this decision.

February 9, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. ♔Mmmmm♕

celebrity stalkers y'all are tah take good notes, with the right judge, yah could gettah free meal and flowers...

February 8, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Iris

What Joey wrote and shared is so breath taking and heart warming. I suppose the passing of time has an element of sadness for everone. I too remember my first love. Although happily married I still remember his birthday every year, November, 22, 1972. I don't understand why this date hurts. I'm married.

February 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♔Mmmmm♕

iris darlin' you should turn that loss into a celebration by playin' the lottery with those numbers...

February 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • mac

If you meant 1963 then i could understand, JFK......

February 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ted

Iris,you remember his birthday because you will always have a torch for him in your heart. I still carry a flame for two girls,yet I too am married. It is sad,but as they say,life goes on.

February 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • ♔Mmmmm♕

flame for two girls? that ain't a flame, that's a bonfire...and I guess that excludes the po' wife!

February 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tessie

In 1986 I used to be a waitress in a cafe. This man,Gilbert so sweet would come by. He tried so hard to become part of my life,but I didn't let him. He would always remember my birthday. Now I wonder what ever happened to him. And I wonder what if...

February 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tessie

Mmmmm,Im married now. Sorry young man, I am 48 years old.

February 8, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BOMBO ©

I'm actually married to my first love. Everybody say AWWWWW...or throw up, whichever you prefer.

February 9, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. BOMBO ©

If this Judge owns stock in Red Lobster, he'll have to resign – conflict of interest.

February 9, 2012 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |