February 8th, 2012

'They want to finish us,' Syrian resident says amid shelling in Homs

Not long after Russia's foreign minister touted the Syrian president's "commitment" to ending violence, 42 more people were killed Wednesday in the devastated city of Homs, an opposition activist said.

The dead included three children, said Omar Shakir, who tallied the number after visiting and calling field hospitals in three Homs neighborhoods.

"There is nonstop shelling," Shakir said. He said those wounded by government troops must resort to the ill-equipped, makeshift clinics because rockets struck one of two hospitals; the other was taken over by President Bashar al-Assad's forces.

Eleven months into a government-led slaughter of dissidents, the situation has gone from unbearable to unimaginable.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Syria • World
  1. Ron Long

STOP!

February 8, 2012 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bill

Othrr countries stay out of there business. It's there problem, let them handle it internally. The citizens are stupid for not filling orders.

February 8, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Dear God, this needs to stop!

February 8, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. fernace

This is heartbreaking & I disagree that the world community should just stand by & stay out of their "conflict"! This is not a civil war, it's genocide! Al-Assads "homicide machine" is killing people who have no means to defend themselves or their kids! Darfur comes to mind! The UN has to do something, Russia has not succeded in talking sense w/the Syrian government, new tactics are necessary!!

February 8, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. Supporter

February 8, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Supporter

Does this sound familiar? How about ww2? We wait until thousands die and than go in and fight no wonder these 3rd world countries hate us so much? So for those of you who want to pick apart what ive said ,,,, what should it matter who these people are its horriffic what these people are witnessing day in and day out no sleep no food how desperate would you be?

February 8, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. Hellion

Thats our tax dollars at work ! Watching innocent people die? Man i could not sleep at night knowing these things well you know what i mean

February 8, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Ummm, Thought you didn't believe in the Bible Donna

February 8, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

UmmmMary, where did you ever see me say that?
      I haven't, and never did.
      Again, if your going to comment on everything I say, please be kind enough to have READ what I've said.

February 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@mary: that's me. i think your both nuts.. but i mean that in a nice way.. she believes, she just has no interest in condemning me and others like me.. better things to do or something..

February 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Ty fernace, and WHY would anyone this would get better because russia came to visit?? They supplied the weapons to this moron, and voted for his ability to continue killing his people.

February 8, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

think this is what i meant to say.

February 8, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (w/o a hat) ©

I am "almost" ready to go back on my stand of the US to stay out of this. I still think the Arab League countries need to handle this since it's their backyard. But something does need to be done. Russia is supposed to have so much clout with that country, why don't they do something ?!

February 8, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

i agree, bobcat. pressuring syria isn't even acknowledged.

we need to pressure russia..

February 8, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

Just another average day of baiting! The fish gotta be biting somewhere! And @ bobcat, it MUST be apparant to you by now the Arab League is gonna do nothing?

February 8, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Ah chrissy, we all know who the master baiters are...

February 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat (w/o a hat) ©

@chrissy

It is totally apparent. They are the ones doing all the talking, yet they would rather place the burden elsewhere.

February 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Talk is the cheapest form of action....

February 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (w/o a hat) ¬©

@ banasy©
      This is really heartbreaking to see this going on, but we just can't afford to get mixed up in this.
      I don't know what they're going to do, but it sures feels like we're getting drawn in.

February 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

bobcat (w/o a hat) ©
      Where did you hat go?

I know, and I know it's only a matter of time before we get involved.
      This genocide Syria is committing needs to STOP!
      I just hate seeing our troops die for something that the AL should have handled long ago.
      Further, there are other countries in NATO and the UN besides the US; let them take the lead.

February 8, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (w/o a hat) ¬©

@ banasy©

It's been pretty warm down here, so I haven't been wearing it. But it supposed to turn off cold again, so I'll probably wear it tonight.

February 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (w/o a hat) ¬©

For some reason, the rest of the world acts like the US is the only country that should something, no matter where it is.
      I really hate for our troops to be involved in this, but something has to be done. This still doesn't change my stance on this. I would say I find it hard to believe the arab league won't take the lead in this, but that would be a lie. They would rather just sit there and watch their neighbors die like this.

February 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. kayscullion

We need to help were its needed and wanted. That is how we keep the world safe. It's our job as a world community to help one another. If we cannot handle that then we aren't going to get any where....

February 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lildeekayjayaye

Something most definatly needs to be done. That is genocide. An evil man born of an evil man.

February 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |