Overheard on CNN.com: Android, Apple fans duke it out in the comments
Our readers are sharply divided between those who are fans of Apple products, and those who like Android and other platforms.
February 10th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Android, Apple fans duke it out in the comments

Think of this as a companion piece to the previous "overheard" post on privacy. There was a comment in the story about Google that provided some inspiration.

Pitt86: "Slightly off topic, but, in the 'Google vs. Apple' climate seemingly everywhere on this site, am I the only one that finds some humor in the fact that the picture at the top of the article shows a Google screen on a MacBook?"

We do have quite a division between people who despise Apple products and those who love them. There are devoted Android and Google fanbases, but also plenty of iPhone and Macintosh devotees. This division was fairly evident in a few stories this week, but maybe no more than in this piece about the cost of iPhones for carriers.

The iPhone is a nightmare for carriers

This was the most-liked comment:

Sinator: "It's not right that we non Apple users are subsidizing the posers through higher rates. They just need to tack on a sour Apple fee for those who can't feel cool without one.

This person agreed.

fingaz: "And this is why I will be getting the Droid 4 this Friday. Verizon knows that they can make more of a profit on this phone while still sell this awesome phone for cheap! Apple products are simply just wayyy over priced with tons less features then other phones. And you can't even customize them. Its Apples way or the highway! I still have no idea why people buy them!"

But this reader went for Apple.

zopaa: "So I got a brand spanking new Motorola Android-based phone last October. It was great, but I switched to iPhone as soon as it was available on Sprint. The reason? I was trying to show off my new Android phone to my friends after work, but couldn't because the batter was dead. All the bells and whistles are not worth anything, if the basic functions are not there. When in a few years Android make a usable product, I may switch back. I have no allegiance to Apple, but I want to have the best device and IMO iPhone is such a device for a mobile phone."

These commenters talked about the U.S. mobile market. Some of our readers said other countries do it better.

Zoofamily: "That's what makes America great. You can leave at any time and sign up for Sprint or TMobile. If you hate Apple so much, go to company that is not beholden to them."

all423421: "We actually have one of the least competitive wireless markets in the developed world. Then you have the other problem of the handsets being locked down and not allowing you to use other carriers. Keep in mind, the most competitive markets and services are in Europe and Asia, where Big Government sets the rules and actually promotes competition."

There was some palpable animosity in this comment.

alphaneko: "Cry me a river. After squeezing customers for decades, you think anyone really cares whether their telco is being squeezed by Apple? This is an industry well known for screwing their customers. It's time they learn how it feels to be on the receiving end."

But back to the Apple-Android rivalry fun. Some of our readers say Android devices are awesome.

Dustin Feltz: "As long as my Android-based phones are on par with Apple's, spec-wise, and I'm able to root and mod as I please, I will continue to laugh as people dish out extra money for a brand name."

krozareq: "I hear that. I can actually do what I want with my phone instead of Apple restricting everything so that they can introduce it in a later iPhone. Apple is all about marketing."

nightsun2k7: "I agree, love my android phone, i have 3 friends that are going to switch from iPhone to Droid on their next purchase. I turn it on, it works, I plug it into any computer and transfer songs and data all I want. I can use SD cards to expand memory all I want. It even has Flash. What more could you ask for at half the price of an iPhone."

Some came back and defended Apple.

Luyt: "I honestly don't understand why people insist on knocking Apple (or Windows for that matter) in these comments. It's a brand, simple as that. If you like it, you buy more of it, often w/o shopping around for alternatives – if not, you don't. That's what brands are for. Are you constantly shopping around for the "best" coffee (clothes, beer, shoes, insert whatever) at the "best" deal? No, you simply stick with what has treated you well. BIG DEAL. Why do you buy the brand X shoes you buy? Have you tried them all? Are they the "best," the cheapest?How would you respond if some pr*ck that was walking by told you your shoes were overpriced and you simply were a follower? As far as the carriers in the article ...? They are big boys and girls and can make their own decisions, and will likely make a lot of money doing so. You don't become ATT, Verizon, or etc by paying out more than you get in. If you think otherwise, take your extraordinary business acumen and start up your own electronics or carrier company. Good luck."

Lionsson: "I think everyone can agree that if a carrier raises the price on the iPhone by 40% they are sure to lose that race. So one could say every customer in a way is helping pay for the iPhone with the higher price place on everyone."

Luyt: "Lionsson, I am not saying you are wrong, but I don't understand your point/argument ... First, where do you get the "40%" number from? Second, I think we need to know a lot more details before we can say that the carriers are raising everyone's rates in order to carry iphones. Nonetheless, if true, do they do the same for android based systems? Next, for the sake of argument, let's say they raise rates solely to carry iPhones. This concept is not new. We all 'overpay' for one thing or another for something we don't use."

But wait ...

Pederson23: "All wireless companies should raise data rates just for iPhone users. Apple might not like that but its one way of strong arming them to lower subsidy. iPhones aren't worth it anyway. Slow phone, small screen, no 4G, and it takes forever for Apple to release improvements. Apple is going down hill. Besides, what can an iPhone do that an Android can't?"

JedioftheSun: "Make baristas think they're ... 'creative.' "

More ...

JedioftheSun: "Most iPhone users can't do anything past sending an email. That's why they had to introduce that one thing where you ask it a question for something that should learn how to do yourself on the phone. Sheeple or iSheep are blind followers of Wozniak's stolen ideas."

There's always another point of view.

Can you hear me now?

elazul2k: "The iPhone is a modern day plague. Everywhere you go you see morons ignoring the world around them having their brains sucked away by this device. I hope it buries the greedy carriers too. All of them deserve each other!"

flipnap2112: "I think you mean the 'cell phone.' "

Wow, that was a tough fight. What do you think? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Google • Overheard on CNN.com • Technology
  1. Handwaver

You pathetic, materialistic morons! Don't you realize that you're carrying the water for these big corporations? You're arguing about which giant corporation's products are better, or make you cooler yadda, yadda. This is marketing heaven for these corporate behemoths! Music to their ears, consumers panting breathlessly about "their" device and attaching status to it. You are a capitalist's wet dream! You sound like middle school tweens arguing about Hollister or Aeropostale....they love it that you're doing free advertising for them. Get some kind of balance in your life!!

February 11, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jj

Good one banz!

February 11, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bugalugs

My wife and I once counted the number of phones I bought in one 10 month period – 12. I must say I was even shocked. Then the iPhone came out and it was so revolutionary I didn't buy another iPhone until the 3G, then the 3GS and then I bought a Nexus. the 3GS was better, but it was obvious the phones were close. Then I bought the 4G and then the 4S and the Galaxy SII. In short,. I think I can speak with some authority on the relative merits.

The SII is the better phone. There is less integration with apps etc.., but the screen is great and as some say in this post it is superb in your ability to use it as a USB key if you want – completely flexible and fast. The advantage of iPhone is its inter connectivity – I can buy movies or TV shows and amply sync/stream them through one of my iPads, iPhones or Apple TV – this is where Google needs to pick up the slack.

I sent Google a help request on not being able to buy stuff through the market and they said "this must be a vendor issue – contact them" – not good enough!. But when I call Apple with an issue – a real person from the actual country picks up the phone in less than 5 minutes and resolves my issue – EXCELLENT!

There was a yawning gap between iPhone and the rest when the iPhone originally came out, now they are behind. They are still contenders because it's not all about screen size, but apple needs to release a humdinger for the iPhone 5 or it will face a significant loss of market share.

February 11, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bugalugs

I mistyped: "I didn't buy another iPhone until the 3G, then the 3GS and then I bought a Nexus. the 3GS was better, but it was obvious the phones were close. Then I bought the 4G and then the 4S"

I meant to write "I didn't buy another phone until the 3G, then the 3GS and then I bought a Nexus. the 3GS was better, but it was obvious the phones were close. Then I bought the 4S..."

February 11, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • illr

Galaxy II is a nice phone, but as can Android powered devices sync with each onther and PC it only a cloud service. Cloud has been around for a while. And screen size is a plus. I own a galaxy nexus and when friends want to show me a youtube video they ask me to pull it up on my phone, i ask why not on your iphone? screen too small, and think of it like this.... a hot ass chic says pull down you pants, I am android and you are apple, size matters 🙂

July 28, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. GeffK

I tried. I really did. 2 times indeed. About 2 to 3 years ago I tried the Android. It wasn't ready for prime time. And late last year I got the exciting Nexus S 4G, the Pure Google Phone. Honestly, it just don't work right. Battery dies fast, phone crashes, become unresponsive, and build quality far from being good.

Before the Nexus S4G I had iPhone 4. "It simply works!" That's why I'm coming back to Apple on iPhone 5.

Google... just for services, not for goods. An other example of that is the overpriced Google Chromebooks.

February 11, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rhonin

I do enjoy reading these 🙂

I started with the iPhone 3G then on to the 3GS. Along the way I bought the original Nexus and had my first exposure to Android. While it was nice, I went ahead and bought the iPhone 4.
    Then I had an epiphany. More people should.
    I sat down, wrote down my requirements for a smartphone.
    I took that list and screen out all of the phones that did not meet my needs.
    I needed 4G or LTE, 4"+ screen, and decent battery life.

The ONLY phone that offered this was Android. Suprised.
    So now I have a great LTE phone that satisfies all of my requirements, and then some.

More shoppers should do the same.

or you can be a lemming. The choice is yours.

February 11, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyger

I guess I am a lemming because my requirements are not the same as yours and my requirements led me to the iPhone after having Android from the beginning. For the average everyday user, the iPhone is simple, works and does what is needed. All the phones are great, just have to decide what features YOU NEED. I don't need LTE or the ability to have unlimited customization. I am a developer for both Android and iPhone. They are both great phones, just figure out what you need and can afford. Now, lets talk about how my car is better than your car.....

February 13, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Cap'n

What makes Apple users "lemmings" while Android users are not? You like your device, Apple users like their device. That's that.

February 13, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim

I think it more of an indicator for a lack of social tact than anything.

If you get mad over someone's personal decision on something so inconsequential, you have some issues.

February 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

4G/LTE is not at all important to me. I don't want to carry around something with a 4" or largr screen, and I get decent battery life with my 4S. I need a phone that is guaranteed to receive updates for at least a year, communicates seamlessly with my MacBook Pro and iPad, and quickly takes great pictures and video.

The iPhone fits my needs far more than an Android, and it's not because one device is better than another. It's a better fit for me. The Android is a better fit for you. And neither of us are lemmings. We just buy what we like. Hooray.

February 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cap'n

As if this derpy debate weren't bad enough already, we now have "news" stories dedicated to it. Really?

For the last time – your device of choice is RIGHT FOR YOU. There is nothing anyone can say from either camp that will sway another's opinion about their device of choice, so just knock off already. This especially applies to anyone who has never used the device they're hating on. Quit being sheep and educate yourself instead of just drinking the kool-aid. I have owned and used both platforms, and when asked my opinion, I offer it based on actual usage and experience, not because all my "friends" said so.

February 13, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • ALB

Well said.

February 13, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • nsaidi

But this ain't a news story in the traditional sense, it's a blog post intended for discussion. People get pretty riled up about this stuff ...

February 13, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

Nail on head.

February 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sarto

I can't believe there wasn't a single comment acknowledging the simple fact that Apple products just work. I've had Android products. They got the job done but I found the interface clunky and the device quality varied wildly. Apple's products are consistent and more reliable compared to my experiences with Motorola's droid phones. Also, it comes down to personal taste. I don't care that Apple controls their interface so tightly. I'm not a phone geek that wants control over everything I can get my hands on. I wouldn't bother with it. I just want access to my music and movies and the web, want it to work, and what it to be seemless. If you want to geek out with your phone and control every aspect of it, that's fine, just don't buy an iPhone. I'd rather sacrifice that type of power for the benefit of a streamlined user experience. To each his own. (Also, if you're a person that has lived their life on iPods and now want a smartphone, the iPhone is the only phone that will take your music library and still has iTunes on it, without hacking, which the average consumer will not know how or care to do. That's a huge reason for some people to stick with Apple.)

February 13, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Ed

True, and I'll add that I'm actually in the minority of people who actually like how tightly controlled Apple's ecosystem is. It leaves less room for error, virus, and spyware. I never have to worry about downloading an app. There are advantages to a closed system just like there are advantages to an open system. Use what works for you.

For example, I own and run two video production companies. We use AVID and Premier, Photoshop and After Effects, but the bulk of our business is done with Final Cut Pro. We use Macbook Pros. We run OSX. A large part of being able to run these two companies effectively is staying connected, so I really rely on my iPhone and to a lesser extent my iPad for fast communication. I can't afford to have anything not work. And if I do have a problem, I find comfort in knowing that my computer, my OS, my editing program, my tablet, and my smartphone are all made by one company. This means that when I call tech support they have to fix it. They can't shrug me off and tell me I have to call another company's call center in India. I've dealt with awful situations where Apple is blaming Avid and Avid is blaming Adobe and Adobe is blaming Apple, etc. I've used Sony Ericsson in the past and while they make great products, it was always someone else's fault. Why can't I connect to iTunes today? Well Sony tells me to call Apple and Apple tells me to call Sony. They're both telling me to call AT&T for some reason. Meanwhile I have a casual meeting in an hour where I'd love to whip out my smartphone and show a potential client the new short film we've been working on, but oops, my device decided not to work today.

So sorry if I don't have time for all the fanboy drama, but I have two companies to run.

Androids are great. iPhones are great. Can't we all just be happy that we even have all these wonderful toys/tools? A decade ago we were amazed to be playing snake on a b&w Nokia 5190.

February 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • johnson

Apple products work...so well...which is why my disc drive DID NOT WORK when i got a new computer...and had to replaced. and now, a few months after apple care is up...THE REPLACEMENT DOES NOT WORK, ANYMORE.

February 27, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Canadian_Bacon

I've had an iphone since they first came out. Made the switch to android on friday and I'll never go back to crapple!!!

one thing i was suprised about was how much you can customize an android phone, and how easy it is to get around.

My iphone 4S was crap. No real difference from the 4.
    My new galaxy S 2 does everything the iphone did and more.
    Good riddance apple.....but no one beats the ipod....

February 13, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Chris Ruel

I have much more important things to do than get worked up about this. I could care less who has what. It confuses me that people seem to get so worked up about it. Why?

February 13, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. JM

I like Apple products. Sue me. I was a diehard Windows person forever. Then my wife wanted an iMac. After I set it up and checked it out, I was hooked. Mac OS is a much better platform than Windows and Apple hardware works seamlessly with it. Same with the iPhone and iOS. They just work. Not sure where some folks think that an iPhone costs (the consumer) more to purchase than an Andriod-based phone (high end models), both are $199 with a two-year agreement.

February 13, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Peaches

I love Apple stuff to, had a Mac Pro the desktop setup,all was fine and great until the motherboard died and it was gonna be over 1k to replace it. Plus I like videogames, but i still love Apple products because, as you said, they do just work.

February 13, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tim

I was an android user. I had the samsung epic and htc inspire. Both these phones were god awful phones. Maybe they were decent tablets but they sure aren't good phones.

Enter the iPhone 4s. I bought one of these and am very happy. It actually makes calls without crashing plus it seems to bug nerds that I own one. That's a nice win win for me.

February 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jakevzw

This is ridiculous! at the end of the day its a phone people, a nice gadget that allows you to stay in touch. GET A LIFE!

February 13, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Anonymous

I laugh at this guy –> JonfrmHi: "Give me a break. The phone is 900 at most. I pay at least 90 a month. thats roughly 2,160 over the course of my two year contract. they more than make up the subsidized price. Please. Besides, everyone wants the iPhone and the carriers know it. Thats why Sprint just 1.4 million iPhones in the first quarter they've had it, and 40% were new customers. I doubt that if the iPhone was 'bad' for carriers they would choose to carry it."

Especially when he says this –> "everyone wants the iPhone"

Lol not everyone wants the crappy iPhone. Android is better. Now if Sony brings Vita OS to their smartphones then I'm ditching Android but for now Android is better than the iPhone hands down.

February 13, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Winner winner chicken dinner

How is Android better??
      I've used Android, helped friends root their android and all that crap. But how is it better? All I noticed were the big low res screens, horrid battery life, awkward interface, complete lack of polished games and apps, and whenever I was telling a friend about what I could do with my phone, or how easy it was, all they could say was "I can't do that mines a Droid."
      I've got a friend that plays games on his droid- they look like Atari graphics.
      I don't hate Android- to each his own, but don't bash iPhone users when you don't know what the hell your talking about. Btw my iPhone 4s is jailbroken and fully customizable. Way easier to jailbreak an iPhone than to 'root' an android device in my humble opinion.

February 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Zbro

Android would still be waiting to be invented if it weren't for Apple's innovations (Google's cheif was in on Apple's secret meetings getting ideas for many years) I could not bear to purchase items made from thieves such as Google or Samsung. Apple is an amazingly innovative, American company that I have enjoyed products from for many years. The iPhone is amazing, but so much that it has become dominant. I understand those who'd like to be away from the crowd with another device, but unfortunately these are just devices made with stolen Apple innovations.

February 13, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • reality

Xerox Parc invented the core of what became the Mac (and Windows for that matter)... graphical user interface, pointing device (mouse)... Much of innovation is taking a look at what exists and then improving on it. Envisioning something new. For example, the iPod is a digital version of the Sony Walkman. Apple's brand is as much (if not more) about its product design as its technological innovation. Hence, the iPhone 4 antennae. I am not saying Apple is bad. I am saying that absoluting Apple/Andriod/Windows as the ideal brand or only innovator is just ignorant.

February 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zbro

It's one thing to take others' ideas and create and build upon like Apple did creating the iPod. Android and Samsung are just ripping off Apple and have not created anything new. Please try not to be so ignorant. 😉

February 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

"For example, the iPod is a digital version of the Sony Walkman"

Yeah, and a car is just a mechanical version of the horse.

Look, I owned an MP3 player before the iPod even existed. It was called a Roxio I think. It was crap. Apple didn't invent the MP3 player, but they reintroduced it in a way that was almost reinventing it. They didn't invent the mouse, but they were the first company to release an affordable, accessable machine with a mouse, one the average family could own. Apple didn't invent tablets, but the iPad has set a new standard and even Google still hasn't been able to reach. Apple likes to disrupt current markets with products that reset the bar. That is what they do. No, they're not the beginning and end of all tech innovation, but they are certainly a driving force.

February 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. veggiedude

"...am I the only one that finds some humor in the fact that the picture at the top of the article shows a Google screen on a MacBook?"

Why should that be humorous? All of Google's development are done on Macs. Visit the Googleplex and you'll see for yourself all the employees walk around with MacBooks. Google eliminated Windows from their campus a few years ago.

February 13, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |