February 12th, 2012

Fans: Whitney Houston's music spanned an era, breaking barriers and records

Another musical titan whose soaring voice ruled the charts for decades has fallen.
Whitney Houston joins an august list of the departed since Michael Jackson's death nearly three years ago.
"First there was MJ, then there was Heavy D and now Whitney,"  said Shaun Jones, 47, of  Titusville, Florida, adding that he jumped out of bed in disbelief when he heard news of Houston's death.
Rapper Heavy D died last year, as did Nick Ashford, who was one half of the Motown duo Ashford and Simpson.
And in late 2010, singer Mary Christine Brockert, better known by her stage name Teena Marie, died in her sleep.
"It's shocking ...  all these people are legends. A lot of them are dying too young. It's crazy."
Pop icons such as Houston enjoyed  staggering success through the 1980s and into the 1990s, and served as role models to a generation of singers today.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Music • U.S. • Whitney Houston • World
  1. Andreas Moser

Relax. People die all the time.

February 12, 2012 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Shadrack

Yes people die every daybut depends when,how, why and where coz dats what brings hurt in our haerts

February 12, 2012 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

She just not anyone just not any person

February 12, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Superman

@andreas moser, you do not set the conversation of this blog! What if one of your family passed? Relax andrea, it happens all the time! WHITNEY was a person just like anybody else but she broke a lot of barriers just as mentioned! She was an icon. And deserves the respect do! And my hats off to her. And my condolences go out to her children grand children, and the rest of her family as well . We we "ALL" love you and now peace be with you always

February 12, 2012 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lamarr Bennett

whitney appealed to the masses around the world and its ashame that a young black women had to go. However, blackwomen is suffering around the world,this one happen to be token as special. I still give my condolences to the Whitney Houston family,her music always brighten my days when I was feeling un
    loved and made me feel that some one loved me. I will always love you Whitney!

February 12, 2012 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. N Tyler

All our music legend is going home wake up people death dont have age or color R.I.P everybody

February 12, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat) ©

This woman KNOWS she could sing. She had the kind of voice that could make anyone smile or cry.
    Rest in peace Whitney. You'll be missed.

February 12, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. Darrin

A little bit of me died with you Whitney Houston.

February 12, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Daylilly

A tragedy that need not have happened. The time has come for the music industry to use it's mighty clout and condemm drugs and alcohol. Let them become role models not hypocrites, who privately use and abuse drugs . Let them stop being enablers. May Whitneys death be a beginning of a new era, and she will not have died in vain.

February 12, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. fernace

Maybe because I'm a singer w/close ties to the Tx & Cali music scenes, when 1 of "ours" dies it feels personal! It's hard to bear the deaths of my 2 favorite singers, Teena Marie & now Whitney Houston! It's beyond sad! The reason for their deaths may be different but the world has lost incredible talent in these 2 women & all mentioned in the article! I'd like to add Amy Winehouse to this sad list, another incredible talent gone too soon! My heart goes out to Whitneys family, especially her daughter, Bobbi Kristina & her mom, Cissy Houston! 1 has to live w/out her mother & the other w/out her daughter, 1 of the harshest realities we face as humans, living w/out our loved 1's! So so sad!!

February 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RUFFNUTT ( south kasas city resident and leader of the gkop alliance )

world's richest crack smoker...

February 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |