February 12th, 2012

Greece Parliament to vote on austerity measures

The parliament in Greece is expected to vote Sunday on austerity measures demanded in return for a new eurozone bailout of the debt-stricken country.

In a speech Saturday evening, Prime Minister Lucas Papademos urged the Cabinet to approve the deal, warning of "social explosion, chaos" if it fails.

"The state will not be able to pay salaries and pensions or import basic goods" such as medicine and fuel, he warned, adding that "unemployment, which is currently unacceptably high, would increase even higher."

Ultimately, Papademos said, if parliament rejects the deal, Greece - already in the midst of a prolonged recession - would be "bankrupted and out of the eurozone."

Parliamentary approval would pave the way for the eurozone finance ministers to sign off on the new €130 billion ($172.6 billion) bailout deal.

Greece needs the funds in order to meet €14.5 billion in debt repayments due next month.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Greece • World
  1. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ dazzle ©
    TORI said you might be showing up on these blogs. So, a big hello to you. I hate it that I was unable to wish her luck on her journey, so if you would, when you talk to her, tell her that bobcat said hello.

February 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

Hello to @ Bobcat. Thank you for being so kind to Tori and for welcoming me. I certainly will give her the message.

February 12, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@ Mary
    and as a side note, Please quit taking me so seriously all the time. You know my style of writing and that comment was meant more tongue in cheek than anything else.

February 12, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

@ bobcat (in a hat) ©, Sorry Bobcat i was just making a point, didn't mean to sound like I was picking on you.
      Have good day. 🙂

February 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

Morning dazzle, bobcat, and mary. @ bobcat, TORI told me to tell you leeintulsa has her email addy and you can get it from him.

February 12, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

Hi to @chrissy! Tori has a long layover in New York and she is emailing away.

February 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat) ©

@chrissy

Thank you for that info. I've been gone for the last few days and was sad that I missed the chance to say so long.

February 12, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

Yea me too, but im glad shes getting this opportunity. She said she sent me an email but i still havent recieved it. Ill give you my email addy tho now and you can email me with yours ok? chrissy_02_26@yahoo.com.

February 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Thanks chrissy, I'll be in touch soon. I'm at work right now, so it will probably be tomorrow. Yeah, I'm excited for her that she's getting this opportunity too.

February 12, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Greek American

My prayers go out to all of my friends and relatives, and all the people of Greece as they have gotten fkd by useless pieces of government trash for decades. They are a disgrace to humanity and may they all pay for their sins.

February 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

@ dazzle, thank you. And you can email me too if you should want to. 🙂

February 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

And if i woulda known about the layover in new york i woulda had my daughter keep her company lol. Maybe Joey will though! 🙂

February 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, LOL on the meetup in NYC, Tori says she met some fun people at JFK. The only people I met there were trouble:-). Her flight took off and I'm tracking it online. Thx for the email address!

February 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. hamsta

@chrissy my point for the last 6 months has been to take a hard look at greece because thats what socialism and the welfare mentality that comes along with it will get for you.

February 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mott the Hoople

Oh, the poor, poor Greeks. They lived the high life for so very long, sipping their pretentious wine, basking on their fine beaches, enjoying the luxury of being able to retire at age 50 at full pension. Now it is time to "pay the piper", and they do not have what it takes. Their ancestors, the Spartans, are all spinning in their graves.

February 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. RUFFNUTT ( south kasas city resident and leader of the gkop alliance )

retire at 50?? nice...

February 12, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Lmao @ hamsta, YOUR point for that last 6 months is, EVERYTHING WRONG IN THE WORLD IS OBAMAS fault! But i wont hold it against you cuz youre just misguided. And im sure somewhere inside you is a nice guy. You should just let that person out once in awhile

February 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sirned

Republicans need to take note of the pain and suffering of to much austerity on workers and the poor. Mass revolt of couse will be the result. Because the rich caused the mess with the policies they enacted and playing the same game our Bankers did here in the USA. Obama is doing a good job putting the emphasis on sharing the safcrifice with a heavier burden on the rich as it should be..

February 12, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

lol @ dazzle youre welcome! Sorry about your experience at JFK, thankfully ive had good ones there.

February 12, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |