February 12th, 2012

Greece Parliament to vote on austerity measures

The parliament in Greece is expected to vote Sunday on austerity measures demanded in return for a new eurozone bailout of the debt-stricken country.

In a speech Saturday evening, Prime Minister Lucas Papademos urged the Cabinet to approve the deal, warning of "social explosion, chaos" if it fails.

"The state will not be able to pay salaries and pensions or import basic goods" such as medicine and fuel, he warned, adding that "unemployment, which is currently unacceptably high, would increase even higher."

Ultimately, Papademos said, if parliament rejects the deal, Greece - already in the midst of a prolonged recession - would be "bankrupted and out of the eurozone."

Parliamentary approval would pave the way for the eurozone finance ministers to sign off on the new €130 billion ($172.6 billion) bailout deal.

Greece needs the funds in order to meet €14.5 billion in debt repayments due next month.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Greece • World
  1. banasy ©

A Festivus for the rest of us!
    Brilliant!
    I have got to get some rest.
    Under the weather this weekend, which is why I didn't know of the lovely TORI's departure...

Welcome to the boards, dazzle.
    Stay for a while, please?

February 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@banasy,a Seinfeld line. I will stay around awhile. Feel better and rest up.

February 12, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

I know banasy, and its my bad anyway, everytime i start thinkin there is some decency in him he proves me wrong. You would think i would just quit while im ahead huh? Lol

February 12, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. hamsta

@ banasy i have fabricated nothing.that must be your guilty conscience.

February 12, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Greek American

I am not a person who usually tries to start any altercations at all, but thanks to hamsta, I had to finally write something on these blogs. Believe me, Greek people are far from perfect but Socialism is not really the root of their problems and people like hamsta just want to lump everyone in a group that he knows nothing about, except for what he reads in our media. OK I'll stop my rantings now, sorry people.

February 12, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@GreekAmerican, someone like hamsta deserves any comebacks he can get. I'm told he carries on about Socialism but is clueless about its definition. Please don't apologize about an honest opinion or observation.

February 12, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

Get some rest, sangfroid, my sista! Lmao!

February 12, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Greek American

@Philip
    Thanks, nice to meet you as well. Your posts have also provided me with much entertainment since I started reading these a few weeks ago, hahahaha.

February 12, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

@ greek american, feel free to jump on the party bus anytime! And its an observation ive made many times myself! Damn frustrating!

February 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. hamsta

i find it funny that you people think im so miserable.im not the one screaming thats its not fair that 1 percent get all the breaks while throwing bricks at the police and lighting buildings on fire.sounds like a bunch of grumpy moochers to me.theres nothing miserable to realizing jobs are everywhere.and for your information i have mastered 3 trades.i am an ase certified master auto technician,a certified crane operator and a certified electronics repair man.im not the miserable excuse that claims there arent any jobs.if you cant find a job its cuz you are either stupid or lazy-at this current time i posses 1 full time job and 3 part time jobs.im pretty happy and find it to be people like you to be miserable and full of excuses.ITS YOUR OWN FAULT.your excuses are falling on the deaf ears of those of us who truly work hard and have no problems staying employed.

February 12, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@hamsta,you are making generalaties,thinking that we are all unemployed and lazy. I hope you can keep all of those jobs. If you are in fact an auto mechanic, you must have a better attitude on the job. By the way, I have my own business and a second job. Lots of letters after my name but this isn't a brag board.

February 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Hmmm and yet just last week you said it wasnt fair that people were getting food stamps and free phones while you work & cant even buy food? So which time were you lying then or now? Many times ive defended you hamsta, but you really are a horses patoot!

February 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

@Chrissy. I wasn't blaming Presient Barack Hussein Onama. I was blaming the Fed for ripping US off of the Harley Davidson Motorcylcle Corporation, millions of homes, and trillions of dollars worth of other US properties, and sending them to their home office bank in Basel Switserland. And get a clue. Since the days of Richard Milhous Nixon, no sitting president has needed the permission to goto war or audit the fed. All the pres. needs to do is to personally declare a state of emergency, and he can do whatever he wants. With, or without congressional approval. Example: as Congress was deliberating on wether or not to war on Iraq, President Bush had already begun the invasion. Example 2: did congress EVER officially approve of paying Usama Bin Laden 50 million dollars up front, and then arm him and his freedom fighters to go into Afghanistan? Nope. It was all done by the prez. Did you see congress voting on Bush/Bin Laden's Carlyle Group taking over Afghanistans pipeline infrastructure? (cont)

February 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

And if you didnt personnally and viciously attack everyone who had a different opinion than yours people might take you seriously!

February 13, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

...even though US courts had already decided that what the Bush Bin Laden group wanted to do in Afghanistan was illegal? ( cite Bridas v Unocal, US District Court, Southern District of Texas, 5th circuit court of appeals, Sep. 9, 2002 and US Supreme Cour, case O3-1018, Terkmenneft v Bridas) Some say Bush's wars were illegal. US courts proved it.

February 13, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dear Mr. President Obama

I know how illegally the Bush Bin Laden group, aka 'The Carlyle Group' operates as do US courts. Do you? Lift the gag order on the FBI's Sibel D. Edmonds. Let her speak the names of the men who finaced 9/11. Let her show US what she found. Freedom of Informaation act of congress ring a bell, sir?

February 13, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

@ philip, i have a clue, BUSH was and always will be a self serving crook! And i agree with you an audit needs to be done, but you and i both know it wont be allowed. And if Obama was to do what you suggested we both know he would be assassinated!

February 13, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. Greek American

@dazzle, @chrissy,
    Thanks and I should've mentioned your comments on these boards are also very well put together and entertaining.
    @banasy the same for you as I see you on many threads.
    Again, I don't hate hamsta or anything and we all have our own opinions, but I never try to be close-minded to anyone or extreme, not to mention brainwashed. So that's why I had to start commenting on these blogs, thanks hamsta!!! Hahahaha

February 13, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |