Whitney Houston remembered
Fans lay flowers and personal messages to singer Whitney Houston around Harlem's Apollo Theatre.
February 13th, 2012

Whitney Houston remembered

The death of singer Whitney Houston shocked many, and the outpouring of love for her has been memorable. Her fame as an artist, actress and model are well documented, but perhaps it is the touching stories by those closest to her that remind us of who she was as a person. The following clips move beyond the star, reminding us that underneath the glitz was a mother, daughter and friend.

Whitney Houston's death 'surreal'

Gospel singer Kim Burrell held a close relationship with Whitney over the years. She spoke to CNN about losing a good friend and “wonderful spirit.” Through her tears, Kim provides a touching tribute to the late singer.

Davis: I'm devastated by loss of Whitney

Music Executive Clive Davis may have discovered Whitney Houston but their relationship ran much deeper than mere business. Hosting his annual pre-Grammies party the day she died, Mr. Davis admits to the tragedy of her death and asks Sean Combs, Alicia Keyes and Tony Bennett to speak to how Houston personally touched their lives.

Bobby Brown: Pray for me

Whitney Houston had a tumultuous relationship with her ex-husband Bobby Brown, but perhaps his performance the night she died captures some of emotion once held between the two. IReporter Moshiu Knox captures one of the heartfelt moment on stage.

For more reaction to Whitney Houston’s death, head to CNN’s collection featuring reaction from fans, artists and critics around the globe.

Post by:
Filed under: Music • Showbiz • Uncategorized • Whitney Houston
  1. steve

only thing clive davis is upset about is his wallet might take a hit!

February 13, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • don

I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH PHIL SPECTOR AND HE IS STILL IN SHOCK

February 13, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • toadears

Don, well that explains the hair.

February 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mark Theo

I am tired of hearing ALL the speculation. FIRST and FOREMOST she WAS/IS will always be THE VOICE of a generation. Amazing talent. Second, she was an ADULT. She made her own choices. AND in saying that I'm not judging her, but to put the blame for her life, her choices her journey on Bobby is wrong and short sighted. Don't know him, didn't know her personally so anything else is SPECULATION. Get perspective people. THESE are human beings. PERIOD. I celebrate her talent. I embrace the good that was Whitney Houston. Arm chair analysts and pseudo MDs need to shut up and think. She has family, a child and they are hurting. RESPECT others.

February 13, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Etta

Thank you soo much for your comment. It was very appropriate and needed to be said. I love Whitney, Bobby and Bobby Kristina. I pray for the family. Whitney is singing for the Lord now. What a great place to sing and her voice with God has been perfected. Thanks again.

February 14, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • christine

To mark theo you pull the words right out of my mouth,perfectly said I was thinking the exact samething well said.one love christine

February 15, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. search for sanity

Bobby Brown helped to ruin a national treasure

February 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • AZ Golfer

Agree completely.

February 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • lori weigold

YES HE DID! Pray for him? He is pathetic!

February 13, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Felice

Whitney was so beloved, so it is easy to blame Bobby Brown for her descent into drugs. No- she was a grown woman, with her own mind. She made a conscious decision to take the path that she did, and it became a monkey that she could not get off of her back. It is so sad. I read a quote from Barbara Stresiand today and it was very profound – she did not enjoy a life full of the joy that her music brought to many.

February 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • bruce

LEAVE BOBBY ALONE, HE IS A GOOD BOY. HOUSTON RUINED HIS LIFE WITH DRUGS AND DIRTY PANTYS.

February 13, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gimmeabreak

He ruined her, yes, but she picked him.

February 13, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Etta

You didn't know Whitney or Bobby. To pass judgment is to go along with what the world thinks. That just says you should try to think your way, but above our way let's try to think God's way which is to say good things about people. Don't bash anyone because I'm more than positive everyone in this world has a family member who is on some form of drug or is just not all there in their family. So be careful please. Let's not throw stones. We have all sinned. This comment is with love.

February 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • christine

Search for sanity that is your opinion,buti disagree she was beautiful and talented but we are all responsible for our lives.her own friend jennifer holliday said she was exposed to drugs before she met bobby,so to blame him is ridiculous, but that's your opinion, some people say bush ruined the economy but that's their option.

February 15, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Liz

Whitney Houston must - must - be remembered most not for this heartbreaking finale, but for the heights...

...the heights she reached with her amazingly surreal voice, the heights she reached in trying so very hard to change what she wanted to change about her life, the heights she reached in being fully engaged with the world, with being daughter and sister and mother and friend and inspiration.

I thank her for the songs that reminded me to live fully, to let go when needed, to love myself when others seemed not to, to dance in the kitchen, to cry when it was required.

Whitney Houston is not about death. She is not about Bobby Brown.

She is all about LIFE. I salute her grace and her talent - and my heart goes out to her child.

February 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gimmeabreak

Nah, life is something you respect, and abusing alcohol, weed, cocaine, and pills to the point where they are more important than your own life is all about stupid. And, I have no respect for stupid people or those who don't respect life. Stupid is as stupid does.

February 13, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • miz m

Gimmeabreak at a time like this your response is stupid. In her interview with Oprah Whitney said that "Bobby was her drug of choice" she loved him just that much. That statement was so profound because I understood what she meant because I had been there. There are times in life when you make decisions for which there is no rational reason. From all that I have heard Whitney Houston was a very strong willed person who had her own mind, made her own decisions. Addiction is a physical disease that takes over your mind, soul and body. You no longer have control over something that has taken over your physical body. If you have not been there don't make pronoucements or judgements. God has the final say and when we stand on the day of judgement we stand alone.

February 14, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. VDW

these young people dont know when the means! all they listen to is song with people TALKING!!! and call it rapping

February 13, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sanbro

Whitney Houston has a connection with God...and she is with him right now. Rest In Peace Whitney, we will miss you...

February 13, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. denver

Quick, name ONE Whitney Houston song. I thought so. Now can we get back to real news?

February 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • PMC

AH, I can name 15. You prob can't count that high.

February 14, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nonnie Hawkins

Wow! There is a time for all things and a family is "HURTING" very bad right now! So my prayers our to try to put yourself in their shoes what if it was your Mother or Child or someone who mean the world to you? Let's all try to being kind with the words we use, my grandmother used to said if you can't anything nice, than don't say anything at all. PLEASE lets all use that same energy and prayer not only for the family but the GOOD & GREATNESS that can come of this, we all have sin and come short of the glory of GOD none of us have it all together but the grace of GOD it could be you or I. Much love to each person you may read this thank you for your kind words and prayers for this family.

February 13, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andreea

I dont understand it is like a destiny, like fate the big of the biiggest they died young and we cannot have them till the end.They dont belong to us or we dont belong to them.Elvis,Michael etc , etc doesnt matter drugs, or anything else they live us.

February 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ms.Tindal81

Rest In Peace Whitney!! Your songs, your smile, your candidness, your grace, your beauty, and that amazing God given voice will forever be in my heart. May God Bless Bobbi Kristina,Ms. Cissy Houston, Bobby Brown, and the rest of her close family and friends. Whitney was truly my first female American Idol!!!

February 13, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Delores Thomas

i wanna know why people talk about people when their living and when they pass away no matter what they are one of god children. addiction is not so easy to overcome and wanting to be accepted for who you are isn't easy either. love you whitney and yes jesus loves you. RIP

February 14, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jackie

When someone dies, it is not the time to sit in judgment of them. Whatever Whitney did, she did not do it to anyone of the people passing such harsh judgment on her. As I said in a post earlier, death visits every family. I only hope that when it comes to the families of all the callous posters, I hope they don't have to endure people like themselves. Be careful, you don't know how your life will end. If someone ask for prayer, praying people will pray for them. God bless this family.

February 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • christine

Great comment jackie its true,we don't know what tomorrow may bring,we should celebrate her talent,not her struggles,because none of us is perfect only Christ.I heard a pastor say this,that sometimes society cause high profile people to be hypocritical if I should use that word,but they put eople on a pedestal forget that these people are human.we must celebrate and lift up each other,and celebrate her talent .I pray God be with that family the houstons/browns im sure bobby is hurting as well.love to all

February 15, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sheila Allen

It's so sad to read such hateful comments. The last time I checked we all sin and fall short of his word. A family has lost a loved one. Where is your heart, your compassion for your fellow american. Aren't you blessed that your sins don't end up in the news. Whitney will finally have peace. May God bless her family & friends in there time of need. And may God forgive this country for our sins.

February 15, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
    • christine

Sheila allen you are right that's what I've been trying to say as well,we are all sinners thank God for his grace and mercy,well said sheila

February 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. christine

I can't believe people are blaming bobby at a time like this,im sure there were times he didn't help any,but to blame him is ridiculous,I love her music so much.we are not perfect but like a high profile guest on larry king said,we are all responsible for our lives.let's celebrate whitney great talent and let God be the judge no of us is perfect only Christ.love to all

February 15, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kim

I cannot stand all of the negative comments. Whitney was an astounding vocal artist that paved the way for many young women. In my eyes she was flawless, incredible, & most of all beautiful. Leave Whitney alone and let in RIP. Also, I have read over and over again that Bobby and Whitney were doing A GREAT JOB WITH THE COPARENTING OF THEIR DAUGHTER BOBBI KRIS after the divorce. They WERE FRIENDS, NOT ENEMIES as they should have been. If they were making it work, why would others have a problem with it? I am so super sick of these judgemental people!! They were MAKING IT WORK, they were not arguing fussing and fighting. How do we know they were not? Because if they were arguing, fussing and fighting SOME NOZEY AZZ PERSON WOULD HAVE PLASTERED IT ALL OVER THE WIDE WORLD WEB! Come on people, they have all went through enough with the passing of Whitney. Leave Bobby alone, let him grieve in peace.
    RIP WHITNEY!