February 14th, 2012

Overheard on CNN.com: Waffle House dates, meaty gifts beat out fancy Valentines

"So glad I'm an unique snowflake and we don't celebrate this day. 'Oh, I love you more than anything on THIS day only!' We pick a random day to celebrate, and it works for us."
- Canada: America's Hat

Many of our readers are eschewing stereotypical Valentine's Day celebrations, saying dinner at Waffle House and other humble trimmings are perfect for love.

Scattered, smothered, covered, cuddled, kissed - Valentine's Day at Waffle House

One reader swears by the restaurant chain.

Rebecca: "Waffle House has long been my Sweetie's and mine's 'secret' Valentine's destination. Good food, great service (none is better than Ms. Pat in North Augusta, South Carolina!), and a fun lively atmosphere - all at a reasonable price! The perfect thing for lovers of all ages and purse sizes!"

Some found lasting love there.

Jason: "I proposed to my wife at a Waffle House in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Amazingly, she said yes and we are married nine years now."

Don't forget about Taco Bell. (One of our readers drew the line at Cracker Barrel, but it probably has some fans as well.)

dbrock: "I've been treating my wife to Taco Bell for Valentine's for over 12 years now. We love it and I think we even make other couples feel envious in a strange kind of way."

Abby: "My first date with my husband was Taco Bell! We were poor college students at the time. Where we went didn't matter to me; all I cared about was that I was finally getting to spend time with him one-on-one."

But some had horror stories to tell. One reader described getting food poisoning on a Valentine's outing - and another had this gem:

Diane: "Worst Valentine's Day gift: an artificial rose with petals that peeled away. When you peeled them off, the flora of the rose turned into edible underwear - a thong to be precise. It was our first V-Day. I married the guy. Needless to say, we are no longer married. Oy."

As for fancy roses, some sold in U.S. supermarkets and flower shops have no scent, or at least none of their own. That's what this story's about.

Stopping to smell the roses? You may not catch a whiff

Watch out for those droopy roses.

Andrea Dembo: "I work in the cut flower industry. The demand from the American public for a 'perfect rose' is insane. Just like we don't want to buy 'ugly' tomatoes; they too have been genetically engineered to look 'perfect' and by doing that there is zero flavor in them. As consumers we have demanded a perfect rose. Sturdy, stunningly beautiful and long lasting. So we gave it to you. There has to be a trade-off, right? Obviously, it's not the same type, variety, species, etc., as the roses growing in your garden. And just so you know, you are not smelling decay when you smell a rose from a grower in Colombia or Ecuador."

keldorama: "... One of the things I have noticed is the big beautiful head on the bloom itself has outpaced the size of the stem in terms of proportion. As a result, I have seen roses droop over from the weight in a few days without ever opening. And this is after cutting the stems and changing the water daily."

There are some who prefer a meatier take on V-Day.

Tell me you'll love meat for a million years ...

A company in Portland, Oregon, will dispatch owner Tyler Gaston, lead singer of local band the Tumblers, to deliver a "Salamigram," along with a smoking-hot rendition of his original song "Love Is Where the Meat Is." Reading this post, one person apparently felt a bit of a song coming on:

rudie:
"You and I must make a pact
We must bring the sandwich back,
Where there is bologna, I'll be there. (I'll be there)"

But maybe there's something to all of this meaty discussion.

Joe: "Fatty meats like salami, pepperoni, etc., can actually make us feel more amorous, so when your valentine brings flowers or candy, you should say, where's the salami?"

Ah, love is in the air, or not. How are you celebrating, or not celebrating? Share your opinion in the comments area below and in the latest stories on CNN.com. Or sound off on video via CNN iReport.

Post by:
Filed under: Food • Holidays • Overheard on CNN.com
  1. chrissy

Lmfao, yea im just too tired for this crap. Hes passed out now, that diet is workin pretty good for him i guess eh? Lol

February 14, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

@Chrissy can tell who his true love is .ya should do a bonafuco on him

February 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gung hoe

@Chrissy can tell who his true love is .ya should do a bonafuco on him.That would permanently cut him off.

February 14, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

lmao @ gung, or maybe a Lorana Bobbit huh? Too funny!

February 14, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

Wouldnt be quite so bad if he JUST wouldnt talk ya know? And im not gonna cause him harm, no matter how much i might like to! That sure wouldnt get me anywhere close to heaven.

February 14, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, sounds like fun times in your house tonight!

February 14, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

lmao dazzle, aint so bad right now, hes passed out. The snoring is bad though!

February 14, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, snoring, oh no! At least he's asleep. I live in a condo and my new neighbor snores so loud, I can hear him through the walls. There is nothing I can do about it.So I have to put ear plugs in.

February 14, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

@ dazzle, when you talk to TORI please tell her i got her email. Ill try and answer it tomorrow.

February 14, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, I will tell little Tori. She will be so happy to hear from you.

February 14, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

lmao yea he snores always, but more when he drinks. My room is in the back of the house, his is in the front (just in case we have a drive-by :)) and i STILL have to have the fan on high to drown him out!

February 15, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

@chrissy, you can hear him in the other room? LOL, he's in front in case of a drive by. If this clown next to me starts up, I am going to have to sleep in the guest room on the other side of the house. I'm an insomniac as it is!!

February 15, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Lmao @ dazzle, me too girl! And God works in mysterious ways, so yea, maybe one day there will be a drive by! When he drinks hes a cross between homer simpson, Ozzy, & Al Bundy, a total pig! And he manages to p*ss off everyone! If only he didnt talk! Lol

February 15, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. hamsta

Wa wa wa deal with it!i sleep like the dead anywhere anytime.you to always talk about me complaining now listen to you whine.i would crank up some good ozzy or rob zombie on you just to put a steering wheel in your back.then i would tell you to quit complaining or you could sleep in the shed with the air compressor while i do some midnight motorheading.and i would make sure to point my work lights in your face just for complaining.

February 15, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy ©

Fumes in a shed.
      That explains a lot.

February 15, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Lol you sleep like the dead cuz youre dead from the neck up! Now...Go lay down by your dish hamsta!

February 15, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. unowhoitsme

Waffle House...give me a break! The worst food on this planet. We were served overdone greasy eggs with cold burnt toast.

February 15, 2012 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
    • ScrewEm'

I could say that you just don't appreciate good food.....but that would be mistaking my opinion for fact.....as you just did.

February 15, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Snazzy

Back during my marriage to my ex wife, she expected the material thing's. Jewlery, weekend get-a-ways, anything that cost a lot of money. Did I mention she's my ex?

Yesterday, I got my girlfriend a Teddy Bear, card and 10 lottery tickets (she loves getting them). We cooked steaks on the grill in our pj's and had a great nite. I will be taking her to her favorite place to eat this weekend.....just because. I loved seeing the smile on her face the whole time. I might hang on to this one for awhile. 🙂

February 15, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. Josh

Waffle House treats their waitstaff like crap. Form pulling doubles frequently to constant swing shifts and in-fighting where the cooks simply don't cook what the wait staff calls out, to managers who change stores every 2 to 3 months, consistency is lost. They train the staff by dropping them into a weekend shift during their first week and when anyone fails, they cut hours instead of training. Tips are meager to nill and pay is minimum. Not the best place to promote.

February 15, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |