Pekingese, a runner-up from 2011, wins Westminster
Malachy the Pekingese, a breed once favored by Chinese royalty, is top dog at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
February 15th, 2012

Pekingese, a runner-up from 2011, wins Westminster

The second time was the charm for Malachy the Pekingese at Westminster.

Malachy, a Best in Show finalist at last year’s Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, won the top prize Tuesday night at this year’s installment at New York’s Madison Square Garden.

The squat and hairy 4-year-old from Pennsylvania became the fourth Pekingese - and only the 10th dog from the toy group - to win Best in Show in the 105-year history of the award.

“I’m still in shock,” Malachy’s handler and co-owner, David Fitzpatrick, told USA Network seconds after the prize was given. “It’s such a thrill, and I’m just so proud to have a dog that’s of this quality that could win a show like this and have an opportunity to exhibit him here. It’s the thrill of a lifetime.”

Malachy won the toy group - for the second straight year - a day earlier, and vied for Best in Show with the winners of six other groups. The last toy to win Best in Show was a papillon, in 1999.

Judges are instructed to evaluate dogs on how well they fit the written standards - the ideal appearance, movement, temperament and other traits - of their breed. Judge Cindy Vogels of Colorado made her decision after inspecting the seven group winners in front of a crowd that cheered its favorites.

Besides Malachy, the other group winners - and Best in Show finalists - were:

- Hound: A dachshund named Playing With Fire.
- Nonsporting: A Dalmatian named Ruffian.
- Herding: A German shepherd named Captain Crunch.
- Sporting: An Irish setter named Caught Red Handed.
- Terrier: A Kerry blue terrier named Chelsey.
- Working: A Doberman pinscher named Veni Vidi Vici.

Terriers have won 45 of the 105 Westminster Best in Show titles. About 2,000 dogs, representing 185 breeds, were competing in this year's show.

Last year, a hound - Hickory the Scottish deerhound - became the first of her breed ever to capture Westminster’s Best in Show, and only the fifth dog from the hound category to win.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • New York
  1. Mary

All this for a show to see who's dog is best MIXED.
    If I'm goning to watch, it would be better to see PURE breed dogs instead of these man made mutes.

February 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • CenTexan

Mary, I think if you check....all "purebred" dogs were "mixed" at some point. Just like this one.

February 15, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

@mary good thing people dont care about your opinion, nor if you watched anything for that matter.

February 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

BTW , they're not that many pure breed dogs left folks , check your facts

February 15, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

oopsy let me add that this Pekingese, is a cross between a Pekingese and a poodle. Now anyone want to cite a sorce for your reasoning on why you think this dog IS a pure pred.

February 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tom

Saw this last night – actually waited to see who the winner was. Very disappointed. The Doberman & Dalmatian were much handsomer dogs. Can't believe this judge picked a dustball over the other finer breeds. The winner looked like something the others would have hacked up after eating a meail. Last time I watch this event with results like that.

February 15, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

I agree, Tom. We were both rooting for Ian to take the top prize. The ugliest dog prevailed, however. Very, very disappointing, indeed.

February 15, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

I don't know.. I personally just fell in love with that little "dustball".. so cute! However that doberman was one of the best I've ever seen, beautiful dog!

February 15, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • JenLaw

Agreed. We were hoping for any dog but the dust ball!

February 15, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tom

'meal'. Sorry. Bud you get the point.

February 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AKSean

I know to each his own, but what an unattractive animal. I guess beauty is all in the eye of the beholder but... I'll take my Husky/Malemute mix over that thing any day of the week. I've never had an affinity for small dogs and this one is doing nothing to change my opinion of them.

February 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. CenTexan

I'm not into high maintenance/grooming, smushed nose dogs, but this is a beauty.

February 15, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. herman

i see jesus in that pic just below the hands to the right of the picture. i know its really not jesus

February 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

That is so funny!!! I see it too! How weird!

February 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharyn whiting

Oh my gosh I see it too!
      Weird....
      Ps big dogs rule:)
      Labs!

February 15, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pedro

Ha! But it looks more like Tolstoy to me.

February 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laurie

Looks more like OBL to me.

February 15, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Um, these dogs *are* pure bred.
    Wherever did you get the idea that they weren't?

February 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adopt a Stray

Since no here is mentioning it.... Westminster dropped Pedigree as a sponsor because they support adoption. Of course Westminster spins it as "the ads were in poor taste and sad... showing dogs behind bars". If it meant one family adopted a shelter dog vs buying a pure pred, than it was worth it. However, AKC must support its members businesses. As with any industry, there are many good and many bad breeders. In this case though, the ratio leans much more towards the bad ones over breeding their dogs and creating inbred dogs with chronic health issues.

I suggest everyone boycott watching it next year, and support your local shelters / adoption groups.

February 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Holy moley...are you kidding me?
      That's the stupidest thing I have heard today...
      Give me a mutt any old day...
      I donate time in a no-kill shelter; I do assure everyone that there are pure-breds there, also, but they may lack the paperwork.
      That is just heartless.
      Thanks for the info.

February 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sharon

I love smushed-faced dogs and I was really happy to see a toy breed win for a change! I have two Shih Tzus myself so I love the smushed faces and long hair.

February 15, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

I do too! I personally don't have any (two rescues.. beagle and border collie mix) but those dogs are adorable. I love Pugs too.

February 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I have a Pug...sweetest and most patient animal I have ever owned; she trained very easily, and SMART...

February 15, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Martine

Ugly ugly ugly.....that is all i have to say

February 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Three Dog Mama

I'm not a fan of toy dogs at all. I have 2 and they are "dogs" not these ragamuffins that can be used for dusting the floor.

February 15, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jenna

Malachy is a cutie but I was definitely rooting for the German Shepherd.

February 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Boombahey

I have to say I was disappointed in last nights pic. The German Shepherd and the wire haired Dachshund were the two I thought had a chance along with the Dobie. I love dogs but that one last night didn't look to much like one. Too much FLUFF !!

February 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jen

Too bad they don't voluntarily stop breeding these bracheocephalic dogs like pugs, peeks and bulldogs. That cute "smooshed" face causes a lifetime of health problems. I worked at the Humane Society spay/neuter clinic and they would not perform surgery on them because of the health risks with putting them under anesthesia. That cute face causes real breathing problems.

February 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I would have to agree with you there.

February 15, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr Man

Doesn't that just add more reasons to love and care for these kinds of dogs? Let's face it, people aren't going to stop breeding them. But just because they have severe problems doesn't mean they should be forgotten. They are here now, and here to stay, so love them just like any other and care for them.

February 15, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. erik glenn

That dog reminds me of a jumping spider I took pictures of last week, only the spider was cuter.

February 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

lol

February 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Demihuman

Aw! I love Malachy! So happy he won! I have a pekingese myself and i love the breed. Congrats!

February 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |