February 15th, 2012

Whitney Houston's funeral a private, intimate affair

Close friends and family will mourn Whitney Houston at a private funeral, led by a pastor who has known her for decades, at a church where she honed her vocal skills as a child.

Gospel singer Marvin Winans will give the eulogy at the funeral Saturday at the request of Houston's mother, according to a leader of the church where it will be held.

Winans officiated Houston's 1992 marriage to R&B singer Bobby Brown, said Pastor Joe Carter of New Hope Baptist Church. Houston and Brown divorced in 2007.

Houston, 48, died Saturday after a member of her staff found her unconscious in the bathtub of her Beverly Hilton hotel as preparations were under way for the Grammy Awards. Emergency crews were unable to revive her.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. Name*s kel

I have been humming her songs all week.

February 15, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. Josh Hamilton

My utmost heartfelt condolences go out to the entire family of Whitney Houston. RIP, Whitney, RIP...No one will ever even come close to your vocal talent !!

February 15, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • gordoncstewart

If this is the Josh I think it is, blessings and peace to you, brother. You've been in my thoughts and prayers.

February 16, 2012 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. PEDO-BEAR

Darwin Award Contestant!
    There is a reason that pill bottles include labels thats say "DO NOT TAKE WITH ALCOHOL!"

February 15, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. CenTexan

Sorry she's gone...but let's move on...next!

February 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monica

Move on?!?! Can her family atleat bury her first?!?! YOU move on, no one is stopping you!!!

February 16, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. EXHALE

RIP

February 15, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. christine

My prayer go out to the houston/brown family let's celebrate her God given talent:)

February 15, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. VDW

my eyes tear up when i hear REMEMBERING Whitney. i still cant believe it! my heart gose out to her family

February 16, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  8. gordoncstewart

So very sorry. Lovely soul Prayers for the family and a salute for your decision to gather in private away from the lights to give thanks and to grieve.

February 16, 2012 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. gordoncstewart

As a pastor who's been with families of high profile people, I've contended with how to maintain private space for the family when the general public also feels the loss. A minister friend wrote: "A person's death is a private thing, like grief, like prayer, like birth. I know nothing of that final time, except what I know of life, but I know I live and in my life I have so many opportunities to die, for death is many things, before the days are gone, but I have yet, a while, and things to be, and much to do." A salute to Whitney's family for maintaining their privacy. As for the rest of us? We hold you in the gentle care of prayer and compassion.

February 16, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
    • gordoncstewart

It's a curious phenomenon, I think. We get to think we're Whitney's best friend. We do all kinds of strange things w public personalities.

February 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Win

Whitney Houston, a Wonderful Performer/ Singer/ Actress and one of God's many daughters of this Earth. R.I.P. You're Heavenly Creator will never forget you and He will Comfort and bring Peace to Your Loved Ones and your Fans worldwide. Whitney, You touched our Lives...........

February 18, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. Patricia

Houston rest in peace God has used you in many wonderful ways to capture the heart of others wish you done so well. My condolscence goes out to your family and Bobbie Kristina who will captivate the world as well like her Beautiful, Lovely and Famous Mom. Rest in Peace Whitney, God loves you and it is not over until God said it was you belong to him. I will always remember you and that fantastic voice. There will never be another Whitney the mold has been broken. You are with your King!!!!

February 18, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mona

I too will miss you Whitney. You are at peace now.

February 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. AC

Private Funeral? Damn thing was on tv all day.

February 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kathie J

heaven must have been missing an angel she's home now singing around the thron of God and what a Heavenly sound it must be

February 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |