Gotta Watch: Bacon Mania
Bacon isn't just for breakfast anymore, as proven by today's Gotta Watch.
February 21st, 2012

Gotta Watch: Bacon Mania

What food could you see being added to just about anything and making it better? If your answer is bacon, you are not alone. Wondering why bacon has become so popular, we reached out to Kat Kinsman, managing editor of CNN’s Eatocracy blog.

“Bacon, the food, is, full-stop delicious, but so are plenty of other foods. Bacon, the concept, has taken on a life of its own.” It's shorthand, Kinsman said, for, “Hey, I’m a food freak, but I don’t take myself too seriously.”

"Pork, fat and salt are pretty much the antithesis of what any nutritionist would counsel you to eat" Kinsman said.

But, as Pete Wells quoted a bacon maker’s wife as saying in his 2003 James Beard Award-winning essay, "Captain Bacon," “And if I can't have bacon on my salad, I just don't care about it."

From a bacon-wrapped pork dish to the fan-favorite Bakon Vodka, we’ve got your craving covered with today’s Gotta Watch.

Baconpocalypse Now

“Where else does a walking slab of bacon fit right in? The annual event known as “Baconpocalypse Now”, now in its fifth year, is a bacon festival for bacon lovers, by bacon lovers. If you think Bacon and Butterscotch cupcakes sound amazing, this video is for you.

Bacon-n-booze

It’s tough to say what the oddest taste to pair with bacon would be but we’re pretty sure this would top most people’s list. The brain child of Seattle-based Black Rock Spirits, Bakon Vodka has recently become a hit.

Bacon explosion

What do you get when you wrap a layer of bacon around a chunk of spicy sausage and crumbled bacon? A precursor to an angioplasty? Maybe. Or, a 5,000-calorie dish called the Bacon Explosion. Interested in creating this meat-lovers lunacy for yourself? This video will show you how.

Post by:
Filed under: Food • Gotta Watch
  1. bobcat (in a hat) ©

MMMMnnnnnnn. Baaacooooonnnn.

February 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gorge, Fatties!

Look at those fat abominations roaming the "Bacon Fest" Just fat, stupid American trash gorging themselves. "Look at me!!! I may be dumb as dirt, inbred, and can't reach around to wipe myself, but I can sure make a tasty in my mouth!!!" Live in this country and Marvel... There's a great article on noshmeat (dot com) about the 3 F's of the American Mind or smth like that... wow how true.

February 21, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jj

Suddenly I'm in the mood for BLT's! Yummy. I wouldn't be a good Jew that's for sure! Lol

February 21, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Thanks, Jj, now I want one too!

That extreme bacon thing…looks like…I don’t even *know* what it looks like…
      Although Ilove a good dirty martini, what would a good dirty BACON martini have in it to make it dirty?
      Bacon grease?
      No thanks.

February 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BOMBO ©

Butter up that bacon. Now bacon up that sausage.

February 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAWNCB

Not one mention of Epicfoodtime!!!

February 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. smartaz

Gimme some bacon wrapped bacon.

February 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SPLAT!~

Gotta die of something, better bacon than bean sprouts!~

February 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BOMBO ©

I remember I worked with a Muslim guy years ago who went into a panic attack when he accidentally ate some "bacon bits" from a salad bar. I tried to explain to him it was soy, but he wouldn't listen. He ran away somewhere to pray or throw up or something. Months later, I noticed him eating a bacon wrapped steak, I forget what they call it, filet mignon I think. He obviously didn't notice what it was. I was going to say something, but then I shrugged and figured, meh, it all evens out in the end.

February 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. AMERICA 1st

Wendys baconator! YUM YUM!

February 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. WassupMeathead

I don't eat bacon so I don't worry about it.............

February 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Snacklefish

Once you go bacon...

February 21, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. scotty

if you love bacon you need to check out the Canadian crew on youtube: epicmealtime!!! Language might not be appropriate for younger audiences...

February 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JAS

And I bet the next article in the queue is something related to obesity....you crack me up CNN

February 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Izbagun

An objective report on Obeasity would be refreshing, what CNN loves to do. Enable the public to Bully fat people, by setting the tone, that it's not only socially acceptable, but you'll be a public service when you boot Porky off the plane.

February 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • toadears

Christians and fat people. The last stand for the bullies and racists who can no longer use the N word.

February 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. gordon

bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips. muscles glasses, SUP...

February 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Arick

Ahhh bacon, the food of the gods. Of course, it will send you to meet them a bit early, but what a ride.

February 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Are you related to Opal?
    Spamming your stuff here all the time?

February 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Leucadia Bob

doin what I do until they don't let me do it 🙂

February 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |