TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite
Denver news anchor Kyle Dyer received a severe dog bite on air.
February 24th, 2012

TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite

A Denver news anchor is speaking out for the first time after being severely injured when a dog bit her on the face during a TV interview.  Earlier this month, Kyle Dyer was interviewing the owner of an 85-pound Argentine Mastiff who was rescued from icy waters. While petting the dog’s face, Dyer leaned in to kiss his nose when the dog lurched forward and bit her face.

Dyer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where, after four hours of surgery, she received 70 stitches to her lips and nose. She later posted on Facebook that her mouth was stitched shut in order for the skin graft to take.

She is out of the hospital and recently sat down for an interview to discuss the accident and resulting surgery. Dyer is happy that the dog is back with his owners and is pleased to be recovering and moving forward with life. Listen to her describe the bite and the moment she realized she had no upper lip.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2012/02/24/bts-anchor-dog-bite-recovery.kusa"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Colorado • Dogs • Media
soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. j

Fancy name for pit bull, they should all be put into burlap sacks and thrown into a river.

February 24, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJJ

We should put you in a burlap sack and throw you in a river.

February 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • meco81

This isn't a pitbull, by the way. Please read the article, or watch the video.

February 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • TMF64

The humans are at fault, not the dog. Every dog will bite under certain stresses just as every human will strike out under certain stresses. Does not mean that they are all "bad".

February 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • j

tomato, tamato

February 24, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

i agree with the put you in a burlap sack and throw you into the river guy. i'd sacrifice you before a poor pit bull any day of the week. brainwashed trash.

life must be boring when you can't think for yourself.

February 24, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Tomato, tomato? More like ketchup, mustard. Argentine Mastiffs and Pitt bulls are not anything alike, in breed or demeanor. The Argentine Mastiff is a Cordoba Fighting Dog (an extinct South American breed) crossed with Great Dane, Boxer, Spanish Mastiff, Old English Bulldog, Bull Terrier, Great Pyrenees, Pointer, Irish Wolfhound and Dogue de Bordeaux.

I agree with the comment that you should be in a burlap sack. Ignorant comments breed ignorance. This is why they should require a logic test before people are allowed to share their uninformed opinions.

February 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry

You are exhibiting your ignorance regarding dog behavior.

February 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bri

I once went canoeing for an entire day all by myself. Kind of wild.

February 24, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. OJ Simpson

Biting, eh? Hm. Hadn't considered that option...

February 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Get em, Juice!

February 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MPC

Yeah. Countdown 'til the dog bites somebody else. Hope it's not worse than this.

February 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dogstar16

Who sticks her face in the face of an unfamiliar, 80 lb dog? Too bad she got bit so badly, but that was definitely not the smartest thing she ever did.

February 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff in San Antonio

Yup, definitely a dumb thing to do. I volunteer at several shelters, and it takes a while for strange dogs to warm up to humans. Given the dog was on a TV set, in front of TV lights, probably stressing out bigtime - she should have been content to just pet him. You don't need to "kiss" dogs; they don't understand that affection, anyway. Sorry for her scars, surgery and all, but - stupid is as stupid does.

February 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ike Nelson

THANK YOU DOGSTAR16 Your comment is right on, also look at the picture where U can see the collar of the dog is pulled tight which is sending a "fear" message to the dog, NEVER PUT YOUR FACE into the face of any dog!

February 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sandman

Not the dogs fault. Why would you get that close to a strange dog with your face? The dog thinks he is being attacked.

February 24, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mel

The owner doesn't want that dog and leaves dog on frozen lake. Later, rescue worker saves dog and bites the anchor on the face and returns owner back.

Why can't the owner say "I DON'T WANT THIS DOG"?

February 24, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mel

how would you feel if people called that anchor stupid or idiot?

It's unbelievable.

February 24, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Name*Rob

Maybe she had bad breath?

February 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Q

You never put your face near a strange dog, no matter what – especially when the dog has been through a trauma. With all the lights, noise, and confusion that goes on with television it really isn't a surprise the dog acted the way it did. People need to realize that any animal is capable of violence if it feels threatened, no matter how sweet or cute it is. Dogs are not people, and there is a right way and a wrong way to interact with them. I only hope this incident can turn out to be an educational opportunity for all of us when interacting with animals.

February 24, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mel

You see ... people making fun of her. You have people saying "it's not dog fault. It's owner's fault" you get that....

The owner should've shot that dog and buried on the ground private.

February 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

And your parents should have done the same to you.

February 24, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bob melancon

she's happy the dog is o.k and back with it's owner? Hello you just got your face bitten and thats whats important how the dog is? Am i missing something here? That dog should have been put down promptly. If your face was a little smaller like say the size of a 2 year olds we would be talking about a fatality. That breed of dog is very unpredictable.

February 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Akira

Uh-oh, time to call in Cesar Millan. SHHHH!

February 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nancy

Why would you stick your face in a strange dog's face and try to kiss him? Duh...

February 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Zenichimaro

She's completely stupid to make a move toward a dog's face. Dog 101: DO NOT GET IN A DOG'S FACE! Dumber than a bag of hammers, and now has a nasty surgery to recover from. Hopefully the pain will help her remember next time.

February 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tess

It is absolutely asanine to lean in and kiss any dog you do not know. A friend of mine tried to kiss my jack russell when I wasn't in the room and the EXACT same thing happened. As far as I am concerned, my dog was not at fault. If you don't know a dog, don't put your face in his face. How would a human react if someone you didn't know leaned in to kiss you? We wouldn't react well, but we have other defense mechanisms to be able to respond. DO NOT STICK YOUR FACE IN ANYONE'S FACE, be it human, dog, cat, anyone. It's rude.

February 24, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kurt

If you had any idea that the dog would have bitten your friend while you were out of the room, would you have left it there?

February 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • MaggieJS

You are absolutely correct...same thing happened to me. I should never have gotten in the dog's face, but he reminded me so much of my dead pet....bad decision, and I got bit on the face for my mistake! Fortunately only puncture wounds to my cheek and temple, which healed on their own, but a lesson well learned. I'm trying to emphasize this to my 2-year-old granddaughter, who loves dogs....

February 24, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • AA

yeah, they are dogs, but people are in all respects more valuable than animals. It's shocking to me that the PitBull (looks like) was not euthanized. Dogs are not your friends, little babies or children, they are animals thats it and I don't get what people's obsession and unwavering love with these domesticated beasts are. :/

February 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dog owner

You are right on the money Tess, I watched the original video where she got bit and wasn't a bit surprised when the dog bit her. She had no business up in the dog's face the way she was, she was just asking for trouble.

February 24, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Dogs are beautiful. Kindest, most gentle animal when they're not provoked or scared.

February 24, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • gale

I cannot imagine anyone sticking their face down in a dogs face. I do Dachshund rescue and have several dogs myself including a big dog. I have taught my children and grandchild never, ever, ever for any reason put your face in a dogs face not even our dogs that you have grown up with. Never. They are animals and will react like animals. They do not have the same understanding we do. Someone wrote on this thread the dog should be put down, not if it had never shown aggression before, it doesn't make the dog automatically vicious because the anchor pulled a stupid stunt. She was just not thinking and she suffered for it.

February 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

The dog is not a pitbull, is Dogo Argentino; a dog that has been specifically developed through selective breeding for big-game hunting. They are extremely protective of their territory and owners, and males can get to weight over 120 pounds. What happened to Kyle was very unfortunate, and I'm sorry for her, but it was not the dog's fault. These dogs are not the kind of pet you hug and kiss, especially when they are nervous. Unless you are the owner, or you know them very well, you should be very careful with them. My friend growing up had two of those, and I used to hug them and play with them, and they were extremely friendly to me, because I knew them since they were puppies. However, one time I was taking care of one of them, and the neighbors dog, a crazy German Shepard, had escaped and made the mistake of barking at me. Before I could separate them the other dog was dead; in just a few seconds. These dogs are very good hunting and watch dogs, very protective, but they are also killing machines that need to be treated with respect.

February 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |