TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite
Denver news anchor Kyle Dyer received a severe dog bite on air.
February 24th, 2012

TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite

A Denver news anchor is speaking out for the first time after being severely injured when a dog bit her on the face during a TV interview.  Earlier this month, Kyle Dyer was interviewing the owner of an 85-pound Argentine Mastiff who was rescued from icy waters. While petting the dog’s face, Dyer leaned in to kiss his nose when the dog lurched forward and bit her face.

Dyer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where, after four hours of surgery, she received 70 stitches to her lips and nose. She later posted on Facebook that her mouth was stitched shut in order for the skin graft to take.

She is out of the hospital and recently sat down for an interview to discuss the accident and resulting surgery. Dyer is happy that the dog is back with his owners and is pleased to be recovering and moving forward with life. Listen to her describe the bite and the moment she realized she had no upper lip.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2012/02/24/bts-anchor-dog-bite-recovery.kusa"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Colorado • Dogs • Media
soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. M.jumptheshark

You never put your face into a dogs face when you don't know the dog and it doesn't know you. Dogs have defensive drives and will defend itself. Even the most social of dogs has the potential to do that. You have to respect the dogs personal space. People are quick to blame the dog but it was the lady's fault.

February 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Eli

That is so messed up for owner. Because he wanted that dog to die many ways. He leave on frozen lake, rescue workers saves dog, bites the dog, and returns the owner.

Police knocks door and say "Is this your dog?"

How humiliated. TV, News, Youtube, CNN. This owner is having extremely bad luck. He can't get rid off his bad dog.

February 24, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

Hierarchy, Alpha, Omega, Intruder, Socialization, are key words that explain why this lady was bitten. Aggression is a dogs biggest form of communication. That is why even babies get bitten by the family dog. If this doesn't make sense to you ask a real dog trainer to explain it. "REAL DOG TRAINERS" don't use treats or clickers or things like that!

February 24, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. thatbrutha

She is extremely lucky that the surgeons could save her face. A little MAC foundation and she will be good as new. She's very attractive with makeup on. Lesson learned don't put your face in a strange animals face.

February 24, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mill

The owner should kill his own dog. He should get Jack Russell Terrier instead. They are cut dog. I have seen it.

February 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • LaLa

I've got two Jack Russells, and like all dogs, they have the potential to bite. Understand that dogs are just dogs – and animals. It's up to us to use common sense when being around man's best friend and take responsibility for their behavior and ours when around dogs – whether they are your own or belong to someone else. No dog, statistically, is more prone to bite than other breeds and it's people's eagerness to believe what they're told that leads to myths about dog bites. I urge you to do some research. I think you'll be surprised at what you find.

February 24, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amber

Mill, that is a stupid comment.

February 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob in LG

Amber, that is a stupid comment.

February 24, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ricky

I grew up in Córdoba, the region of Argentina were this dogs were developed. I actually lived close to the ranch were they were developed for many years using selective breeding. Many of my friends owned and still own dogs like this one, and growing up I spent a lot of time with them. One thing I learned is that this is not a regular pet. Even though the latest breed, which is a mixture of 11 different other breeds (there was a breed of them back in the 80's that was especially aggressive once they got older and most owners ended up euthanizing them), is very docile with their owners and people they know, they are still dangerous animals. They are extremely protective; if their owner is a kid, you don't want to make any sudden movements around that kid (such as try to pick them up, or try to touch the kid's head). If it is late at night, and you enter the house were they live, you don't want to startle them. Many accidents have happened in the town were I grew up due to these circumstances. Remember, one single bite of this dogs can kill a person. If they bite your arm or leg, they are likely to break the bone too. They should be treated with respect; just like you would if you had a chimpanzee or a gorilla. I once saw one of this dogs fight a 300 pound wild boar; the dog killed the boar, but died from the injuries a few minutes later. They fight until they die, and the only thing that scares them is their master. Honestly, now that I have kids and don't live in a ranch anymore, I would not consider one of these dogs if I wanted a pet (even though I grew up with them). Not because I would be afraid for the safety of my own kids, but because they are overprotective and I would afraid that they might end up killing one of my kid's friends, or the mailman, or one of my neighbors.

February 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • mugzee

These type of dogs have no place in human society. I'm sick of dog owners claiming that their "Land shark" is the sweetest thing on the planet, wouldn't hurt a fly! then, BAM !!! next thing you know ONE DEAD KID!!!! These things should all be DESTROYED!!!!!!!!!!!

February 24, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • mugzee

You my friend are a fine example of COMMON SENSE!!!! Good job!!!!

February 25, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • TRACEY LEDFORD

First of all, I do hope she makes a full recovery; however I do think that she should have known better, used better judgement or some common sense. This dog was already abused, rescued and then put on a sound stage with lights, sounds and a lot of people. Nobody should ever stick their face to a dog that they do not know. Even if you do know the dog and the dog know's you; you are still taking a chance. So in the future use a LITTLE COMMON SENSE.

February 25, 2012 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jaxx

When I watched the clip I predicted she was going to get bitten seconds before she actually did. The dog was throwing off uncomfortable vibes all over the place. He finally pulled away from her and she pulled him back, really mauling his face with petting. I kept expecting the owner to tell her to get her face out of the dog's. But I imagine he felt too intimidated about telling a TV personality what to do so we have a near tragedy take place before our eyes. I never imagined Kyle's face was so damaged. It happened so quickly and looked like nothing more than a nip. I expected maybe a tooth hole in her face. But this? Jeez. Poor woman. Very hard way to learn a lesson. But really, you just never put your face down in a dog's like that. They view it as an act of aggression if you stare into their eyes, much less come at them like that. He didn't know she was just going to give him a kiss. Plus he had already been through such a trial the day before. He should never have been brought into the studio in the first place. So many mistakes. But the dog's actions were the least of them. Praying for your speedy recovery and minimal scars Kyle.

February 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • humor me & Endless SD

Jaxx, you are one of the few people here that has common sense and decency. I didn't read all of the previous comments, but I read enough. Demanding that the dog be killed, "ALL PIT BULLS ARE BAD!" (technically, the dog is not a pit bull, but a Mastiff), "How could they let the dog out in the first place?!" Ugh. Did they even see the videos?

I've been in the animal industry for over 20 years and part of that included working in a kennel and a veterinarian's office that was also the county pound. You learn to read dogs VERY quickly or you are liable to get bitten. I was never once bitten by a dog because I can read them. If you watch the original clip, the dog gave a VERY clear sign that it was not comfortable. People who aren't familiar with animals should not be mashing their faces into strange dog's faces. It's common sense to those who are familiar with animals, but people not familiar are more likely to be bitten.

I'm really sorry to hear that Ms. Dyer was bitten, and I'm happier to see that she is recovering well. I hope this doesn't scare her away from dogs for life. I'm sure that in another situation, the dog would have been more comfortable and never would have bitten her at all. All the best to Ms. Dyer's recovery and minimal scarring.

February 24, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • k9zgirl

100% agree with every word, Jaxx.

February 25, 2012 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lord Voldemort

Here is a news piece without a single intelligent being in it. One moron releases a dangerous dog and the dog, also being a moron, almost drowns. Some unspecified morons save the dog from icy water. Now all these morons are famous and are taken to a TV station when yet another moron tries to kiss the dog and gets bitten! What an unbelievable circus!!! I'm gonna Avada Kedavra them all!!!!!

February 24, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ruby

Wow really- At what point should you or would you put your face in the face of a strange dog... To kiss the dog on his nose? A dog that had been stuck in icy water the day before. A dog that was now surrounded by strange noises, smells, & people. WOW!!

February 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Luke

Sorry, but this news woman should know better than to get so near to the face of a PIT BULL. HELLOOOOOOO!

February 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coldly Rational

Or near an Argentinian mastiff, either.

February 25, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  11. Linda

What a lovely woman she is. Clearly understands that the dog wasn't being vicious, merely scared, and that he deserved to be home with his family.

February 24, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MzTx

All Humans Involved are to Blame- the Owner, the Rescuer, the Reporter & Staff. The Owner- for letting his dog loose. The Rescuer for putting the dog in a Protective Mode- please look at his grip on the dog( it isn't relaxed, so the dog will be Tensed. The Reporter for putting her face in a dog's face & the staff for not allowing more time and only caring about Ratings.
    With all that being said, the dog should be put down. Yes, I know it wasn't the dog's fault, but the dog attacked a Human & tasted Human's Blood. When it comes down to it- it is all the OWNER'S FAULT!

February 24, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bob in LG

Get a Golden Retreiver.

February 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larsen

Bob- Actually, I know an incident where a golden retriever mauled a small child that had done nothing to provoke it. Fortunately, the child was ok after surgery, but I don't think any breed is completely predictable.

February 26, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dazzle ©

What is wrong with this woman sticking her mug in this dog's face?

February 25, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  15. Coldly Rational

Kudos to everyone here who correctly diagnosed the problem as...THE REPORTER'S ACTIONS! All the psychopaths on here who want to kill the dog for being true to its nature have hopefully made the choice never to breed or marry. God knows what they'd do to their kids or spouses if they misbehaved.

Lots of people have posted that you can't equate kids and dogs, but then in the same sentence say the dog was wrong for not adhering to human rules. Dubya Tea Eff? If you can't equate kids and humans in one instance, you can't do it in another. Dogs have their own behaviors hard-wired into them through millennia of evolution and even though you can suppress or redirect them somewhat, you can't eliminate them. If you engage in behavior the dog believes to be threatening, guess what? It will react. Its breed is irrelevant, it's just that the triggers are different for each dog. I've been bitten by dachshunds, I've played with the dreaded pit bull (cue dramatic music here), and played with or petted dogs of all sorts. If you're going to interact with a dog, you need to learn some common sense rules.

Don't do anything to the dog you wouldn't want a stranger doing to you. You want some stranger grabbing your neck and nuzzling your face? Neither does Spot. You like it when people invade your personal space and start rubbing and fondling you? Didn't think so. Also, in the same manner you read human body language, learn an animal's. In the still above, I can tell that the dog is not happy with what's going on. His ears are back, which means he's fearful or expecting something bad to happen. The failures here were not the dog's: he was communicating the only way he knew how before he fired off that warning shot. He tried to warn the handler and the reporter, and it's not his fault they (and the ignorant posters on here) can't take the time to understand.

While a dog can be your best friend, remember that they're descended from wild canines. There's no such thing as a tame dog. They just have varying degrees of patience for stupid people.

February 25, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
    • thatdogshouldbekilled

So a dogs true nature is to bite humans faces off? you said it not me.....

February 25, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |