TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite
Denver news anchor Kyle Dyer received a severe dog bite on air.
February 24th, 2012

TV anchor gives interview after on-air dog bite

A Denver news anchor is speaking out for the first time after being severely injured when a dog bit her on the face during a TV interview.  Earlier this month, Kyle Dyer was interviewing the owner of an 85-pound Argentine Mastiff who was rescued from icy waters. While petting the dog’s face, Dyer leaned in to kiss his nose when the dog lurched forward and bit her face.

Dyer was taken to Denver Health Medical Center where, after four hours of surgery, she received 70 stitches to her lips and nose. She later posted on Facebook that her mouth was stitched shut in order for the skin graft to take.

She is out of the hospital and recently sat down for an interview to discuss the accident and resulting surgery. Dyer is happy that the dog is back with his owners and is pleased to be recovering and moving forward with life. Listen to her describe the bite and the moment she realized she had no upper lip.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2012/02/24/bts-anchor-dog-bite-recovery.kusa"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Colorado • Dogs • Media
soundoff (1,025 Responses)
  1. JennCoolva

I have a pit rescue and I have had him for years. He was abused by a black guy who wore a hoodie. How do I know this? Every time he sees someone matching that description he either becomes unglued or terrified. Pit bulls are not monsters they are gentle souls who get set up for failure when they are used for bait or fighting one another.

February 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Byrd

You're an idiot. Sorry, but no other word to describe it.

February 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • checi

No, Byrd, you are the idiot. I have a female pitbull that was used as a baitdog for dog fighting before she was starved, abandoned and then rescued. She is extremely affectionate and loyal but goes inconsolable when my toaster oven timer ticks off the minutes and then the bell rings. Dogs are emotional sentient beings. Too bad you aren't.

February 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • killallthewhiteman

You are an idiot if you think that all Pits are angels. I watched one that was raised from a puppy by a loving family do the following after 4 years of no incidents:
      Killed a puppy dog, and Bit 6 year old girl in the face.
      After the six year old was bit, before there was a court battle they shipped the dog off to a farm to live.
      While the court battle was raging, everyone wanted to blame, the owners, or the six year old. No one wanted to accept the fact that the dog was unstable. While the court battle was underway, the dog on the farm killed another dog and attacked the new owners wife. I am sorry to break it to you, but that was a bad dog.

February 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

That is, until they eat your toddler. The number of times that has happened is truly frightening.

February 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

P.S. A lot of these Pits are inbred and just like what happens to people, become mentally insane from inbreeding. Any time a dog becomes one of the most popular breeds, like Pits have been for the last 20 years or so, the mills start cranking them out, as many as they can as cheaply as they can. They end up breeding daughters back to to fathers, and so on. The worst thing that can happen to any breed is to become the popular "fad" dog of the moment, ruins them!

February 24, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dumb People

checi and JennCoolva, you are both idiots. There was no reason to say a black guy in a hoodie. You could have simply said, "The dog gets jittery when certain people fitting certain descriptions come around." This issue has nothing to do with race. There are plenty other races out there that appear Black because they are darker.

February 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Toutle Mom

He's not an idiot. Anyone who has worked with rescued dogs understands this. I've worked with pitbulls and other so called dangerous breeds for 8 years and as long as you understand the dogs and their behavior its easy to realize that these dogs aren't bad from the start but are made that way by people. I have worked with many wonderful pit bulls and rottweilers. It's not the breed but the people.

The most common breed for dog bite cases is labs. Would you say that they're a bad breed too or that it's the people either provoking them or bing ignorant of dog behavior?

February 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

Jenn, I adopted a pound dog that freaked whenever she saw dark-skinned men (I am white). I knew a dog that went for any man with facial hair. Dogs do carry a visual memory of the person or people who abused them. It can be embarrassing when people think you've raised the dog to hate people of another race.

February 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jonathan

Glad to see that the usual % of immature comments are present.

As for the accident, it is one that could have been avoided (Never bring your face to a dog's face, it is seen as aggression by the dog). But I commend that woman for being so strong and moving on in a classy way.

Also, dogs that are held tight on a leash like that one was are automatically more aggressive. A good example is when you walk your dog and come accross another dog. If both people pull on the leash and walk the dogs toward each other, they will show aggression. If you leave the leash loose, they will snif each other and move on.

For all the dog haters, please just breath in and out and relax a bit.

For all others, Have a great day !

February 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • murpis

@Jonathan
      Thanks for that info. I didn't know that about dogs. I am an animal lover so that info will really help.

February 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

What an insightful and thoughtfully worded comment.. (which in and of itself is fairly shocking to see, sadly.)

I'd like to add that any dog, any breed, would be under great stress when in that environment. Lights, so much movement, so many strangers, being restrained so he couldn't cower, and then the well-intentioned reporter leaning into his face. I can see how it would be too much for -many- dogs.

I'm glad that she's on the mend, and being graceful towards the pup. I'm grateful he wasn't punished for the damage, other than in reputation, which is, all in all, irrelevant. People love to hate. Dogs, and those who are crazy about them, embody everything that is just 'LOVE'!

February 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

"If you leave the leash loose, they will snif each other and move on."

No, not if the other dog is aggressive and doesn't want to be messed with. I always hold my dog close when passing other dogs because I don't want her to get bitten. She is curious and wants to sniff but I've come across too many dogs that snap at her as soon as she gets close so I just hold her tight.

February 24, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dr Paul

Can guarantee she never puts her face in a dogs face again. Who would do that anyway?

February 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

Almost anyone who really likes dogs.

February 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. RJ

The dog should be put down! Period!

February 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roger_20

You are an idiot!

February 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

Whoever thinks this dog should be put down, what if your kids were out being kids and one of them throws a rock at a car. The car careens out of control, the occupants are injured. Should you euthanize the kids? Or even blame them for an accident? Some people don't think things through very well.

February 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

@angie– I've spent a lifetime working with and adopting rescued dogs. I bristle when people equate a dog or cat (or any animal) with a child. They are animals, and it is both disrespectful and not in their best interest to consider them as anything else. Sure, you can feel maternal toward your pup, and the relationship can be familial. But a dog is NOT a child. If one of my dogs inflicted that much damage on a human other than me (I have been bitten by traumatized dogs I've adopted), I would euthanized the dog. The reason is I would no longer consider the dog trustworthy around people. The mastiff's bite was a warning snap, but that very powerful dog now knows that he can do that to a human. People are no longer a huge NO when it comes to teeth on skin. I would have a vet put him down.

February 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. nwnjjim

I have been around dogs my entire life, they are wonderful companions. However, they are animals. Many dog owners and non dog owners ascribe to them human qualities. That's when problems occur. They are NOT human, they DO NOT possess human emotions. They have evolved over millions of years, as we have, and their instincts are intact in their genes. I feel pity for this woman, but kissing a strange dog? That's a human action, and it cost her. When I see dog owners treat their dogs as humans (sleeping with them, sharing food with them, allowing them around non family member small children) I see a problem just waiting to happen.

February 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

I agree, I know few people who have Pits and say that there dogs would never bite.....I thought this is insane they are dogs, domesticated wolves. when they're loose or in multiple numbers instinct takes over. dogs and cats can become ferel in one generation or somtimes less.

February 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

A dog's instincts are barely more intact than a human's... which is precisely why you can't abandon one in the woods. Dogs instinctually bond with humans... pretty sure that's been bred into them over thousands of years.

February 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Kurt

It doesn't take a zoologist or a vet to identify a dangerous animal, smart@$$.

February 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. MM

The dog should be put to sleep–nobody should own such a dangerous 85 lb animal. The owner should be barred from owning any dogs. I don't care if the woman was stupid or not. She's important because she's a human, the dog is dangerous and should be put down. I'm all for not hurting animals if there is no reason or need to, but people are more important. There are too many bad dog owners out there, and these people need to start going to prison when their animals hurt people. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I don't care. People's priorities are way out of whack.

February 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kurt

agreed

February 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Put a dog in a strange place, sitting next to his very stressed owner, then make a threatening gesture towards the dog. And then blame and kill the dog. Sure, sounds like a great plan.
      It is a good thing for all involved that the lady who got bit is smarter than you.

February 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coexist2011

You sound like one big emotional mess making an argument with all you have – emotions. The woman got bit because she was in the dog's immediate space. This does not reflect on the dog or the owner. It was a terrible accident mostly on her part. If that dog launched out and pounced on her on her chair and tore her up then YES by all means it must be put down. Not so in this case. Put your emotions aside and speak objectively!

February 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

It's the people that should have to get a license to own a dog, not the dogs being licensed, although it's not a bad idea if they escape the yard. You are right, there are far too many bad dog owners out there.

Dogs are extremely high maintenance animals that quickly become nuisances when not handled or treated properly and require a level of commitment that most people are too busy or too lazy for. Potential dog owners should be required to attend classes on what it takes to be a responsible caretaker and show that they have proper faciities for a dog according to the breed's size before being issued a license.

February 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • checi

Some people may be more important than some animals but a generalization like yours is just ignorant. Some people are just a waste of skin and bones and some animals are lifesaving heroes. If you can't see that then you're incapable of rational thinking. It's like saying human are more important than the Earth. Without Earth, humans are nothing and no where.

February 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evan

So even when humans act like idiots we should punish the animals? Yes, the dog is large and has the capability to do significant damage (as occurred) but it could have, and should have, been easily avoided. You just DO NOT stick your face directly in front of a dog's that does not know you. Even with little dogs that is an obvious no-no. They are animals, not humans, and when they feel threatened they very well may react. And this is not about valuing a dog's life over a human's. This is just basic dog handling knowledge that was ignored and unfortunately resulted in injury.

February 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • SLBW1977

WOW you really have no idea do you. Why should a dog who was reacting as an animal be put down for a humans mistake. How do you know the dog is dangerous. It was on TV, on a short leash, and had a stranger coming toward its face, how would YOU react? I am sure you would fight back also. Perhaps you should be put down also for simply being ignorant!!!

February 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

I don't know about putting this particular dog down because it didn't viciously attack, just snapped. But I am all for the idea that certain breeds should be regulated differently or outlawed. Not because they are bad or because they did something wrong, but because they have tremendous bite pressure and can cause great injury. Just like owning a bear, or a tiger, or even a monkey, the very fact that they have the potential to cause so much damage or even kill humans should put them in a different category than other dogs. If people want to own a dangerous breed, then they shouldn't be allowed off their private property. In my area we have children killed or seriously wounded by pit bulls and other aggressive dogs all of the time. We never hear of serious injuries regarding retrievers or chihuahuas. Most of the time it's because people don't keep them properly caged on their property and they get loose and hurt some random stranger. This has to stop. Nobody would be ok with someone walking their pet tiger down the street or letting it play with their baby in the livingroom.

February 24, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • J_L

MM is right, I am not a dog person but if you are God bless you just don't treat an animal that is potentially lethal like a little kid. A kid will not bite your face off. I can not tell you how many times I have taken my toddler to the park and had to leave as people are throwing balls to a mastiff or shepherd or whatever while the dog slams into my kid or runs full speed right at her barking etc, (never mind walking in their droppings), the dog owners I observe often feel the dogs' rights (can a dog have rights?) are greater than a person's. I am tired of having to carry a 2 year old past a pit bull with a snack in her hand while being terrorized by a yapping dog because some idiot tied their dog to the front door of a restaurant. They are dogs people! They evolved to be compatible with their owners (most of the time) but deep down they are animals pure and simple. Treat them as such and we will all be better for it.

February 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. r00t

The real problem here is a human who has NO idea how to communicate with animals; if you do not know how to talk to an animal, don't get in its face. Would you get up in another strangers face? Perhaps you believe that the animal should always be subservient, if that's the case you should learn to communicate with it so that you can create a subservient relationship. It really amazes me how far away from nature we've gotten; people get what they deserve... open your eyes... act like the world is alive and will respond to your actions wether thoughtful or thoughtless. If you want to play with dogs then learn to communicate better, everything you learn about communicating with an animal will transfer to your ability to communicate with other humans 🙂

February 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • SLBW1977

Well said!!

February 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Greg

Closed mouth, ears back, pulling on the leash, probably growling..... Sure, I'd kiss it too.

February 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pit owner

She was dumb enough to get too close. I own a pit (my third one) and know they are temperamental animals that can turn on a dime. They are not gentle souls all the time. The breed is bipolar and has a snap switch that most breeds don't have. Perfectly nice one minute, snarling and snapping the next. Families shouldn't own the breed, and you best not have another non-pit breed living in the same home.

February 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

Why would you even want to own one?

February 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pit Owner Too!

Thats an out right lie and does nothing but foster the myths surrounding Pits.if you have a pit,which i highly suspect is not the case, you obviously do not know how to train them. I've own multiple breeds together at the same time including pits and have never had a problem with them. I currently have three dogs now.. a Flat coat retriever, a collie mix and a pit all of which are rescue dogs and they get along great. They do everything together and you cant keep them apart..

February 24, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Liar. You do not own one. No real owner would ever say that. You are trying to spread myths by pretending to own one. I'm a proud owner of 3 pits and a lab mix. All 3 of mine are Canine Good Citizens. And my oldest is a therapy dog. She works with soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, children with Autism, and disabled children and adults. Please take your lies and go home!

love-a-bull.org

February 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • sara

I hope you don't actually own any dogs. I own a pit, a dobie and a 6lb yorkie. They get along fine, in fact the pit is the LEAST aggressive of the three and she's the only one I didn't raise from a pup, she was a rescue who was mistreated and negletced as a pup. Yeah, it's definitely all about the breed, they're just innately evil. Poor, ignorant people.

February 24, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. amystery

What a wonderful gracious lady (I watch her on Denver news all the time). She understands how lucky she is despite this thing that happened, harbors no hate or revenge–I wish her the best.

February 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

If she didn't understand, there would be something seriously wrong with her. It was her own fault. You NEVER should do that with any strange animal, let alone a large, dangerous breed that is bred to attack other living things.

February 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Burbank. What do you know about Dogo Argentinos? I'm guessing nothing.

February 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

People blame the dog and owner. They should not.
    The TV people were in their environment and at ease. In contrast, both the dog and owner were stressed out. If you are not a professional and get in front of the camera for the first time it is extremely stressful. The dog can feel its owner's stress and is likely already worried by the strange people, scents, and sounds. Then someone's face comes rapidly to his, which is a attack gesture in dog world. The dog reacts with a warning bite. If a dog that size had wanted to hurt her, she would have died.
    The owner could not warn anyone because the dog had likely never reacted that way before and was too stressed about what he was doing with his hands or about speaking clearly that he wasn't watching the dog's reactions, or able to read them. Because of stress.

February 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cynthia

And the brat in the ladies' room at lunch who kicked me because I was ahead of her and she wanted to go first? What do you suggest we do with her? Mommy just giggled and shrugged. The more I experience of people, the more I like dogs, to paraphrase a popular saying.

February 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burbank

Claim injury and sue the Mother. That will teach her!

February 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. vrim

You're a good lady. Glad your recovery is going well.

February 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • kayads77

Jim – Almost anyone who likes dogs will take the time to educate themselves so they know better not to do things like that.

February 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tin Cup

I think she looks more attractive with the Hair lip...... CRUNCH

February 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |