February 28th, 2012

Portion of 9/11 remains dumped in landfill, report says

Unidentified human remains of people who died in the September 11, 2001 attacks on the Pentagon and in Shanksville, Pennsylvania eventually wound up in a landfill, the Defense Department said in a report Tuesday.

Parts of the cremated remains were handed over to a biomedical waste contractor and inadvertently dumped, the report said.

The September 11, 2001 attacks killed nearly 3,000 people in attacks on the World Trade Center in New York, the Pentagon in Washington and in the hijacking and crash of a commercial jet in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

The Pentagon report explored the handling of human remains at a U.S. military mortuary at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

Post by:
Filed under: September 11 • Terrorism
  1. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Oh, so now my comment is awaiting moderation. Why, because I, a citzen, would have the nerve to question your reasoning behind posting a story ?

February 28, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

I'm not even going to go there...but there is no useful reason to be putting this out there except to fan the flames of the emotions that everyone in the US feels about 9/11/2001.

February 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. leeintulsa

it does help explain the quran burning to the rest of the world..

we're inadvertently stupid, and that's just all there is to it..

February 28, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. BOMBO ©

Given what they had to sift through, I'd be surprised if this didn't happen.

February 28, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BradleyMANningARMY

Are they saints? Bradley is nominated for the Nobel Boy Scouting Peace award > can they do NO wrong
    in every country... including America > ARE THEY SAINTS? > no matter what they do? How about their crazy women?

February 28, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Portland tony

Tasteless story! Where would you have them put cremated and unidentified human remains? A desk drawer?

February 28, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

A memorial of some sort....?
      Jesus Christ, it doesn't take much imagination to do that...they have the tomb of the unknown soldiers, don't they?
      It is a totally tasteless subject, period.

February 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. HisbabyFACE

All those BABY faces- will we buy anything from them?

BradleyMANningARMY

February 28, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huh

Aliens melting your brain again?

February 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. NameScreens

I'm not trying to come off as hostile and I'm sorry if it's taken that was but why is this an argument about the sensitivity of a news site? It's information. Just because you don't like it doesn't make the news outlet tasteless. Maybe you find the treatment of the remains tasteless, but reporting is not about fluffy bunnies and puppy dogs obviously. Not to sound like a jerk but if you see 9/11 in a headline and you want nothing to do with it don't read it. Don't click the link.

February 28, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

They actually have done fluffy bunny and puppy dog stories – so you see there is something for everyone.

February 28, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. centexan©

@name...calm down...we're expressing our views. Yes b, a memorial for the remains would have been most appropriate.

February 28, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • NameScreens

I'm not even upset. I guess I was taken a back by the lack of focus on the article itself in the comments. In the end I'm no better as I didn't contribute any thoughts on it either. As for the article, I don't think that kind of disposal was right. I also don't think a tomb is necessary. A scattering of the ashes would have been more appropriate, in my opinion. Disposing of cremated remains in a landfill is disrespectful.

February 28, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

distasteful, yes. As is the comment from bradley manning!

February 28, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mr Impractical

Well, go get it back.

February 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. saywhat

I quite agree with what @ bobcat says.
    Pull this distasteful story. This is the last thing we need now.

February 28, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

@ lee, lmao gotta agree we are just inadvertantly stupid. May as well let the whole world just how much i guess!

February 28, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HOT MP4/3GP VIDEOS FOR FREE, 4 ADULT ONLY

R.I.P to all those who lost their lives.

February 28, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©™

I was on a work break when I first read this today. I tried to post something soothing, but the usual chaos in which musicians prepare their artistic performances interrupted my writing.
    When I go to the funeral of a loved one, I pay very little attention to the remains.
    "He's not there," I say to myself.
    I have a place where I would like to have my ashes scattered, but even if my spirit survives and knows where the ashes are, the ashes will not know anything about it.
    I hope that my family will be concerned with more important things.

February 28, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

JIF, you and I think alike.

February 29, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |