February 28th, 2012
05:36 AM ET

Wounded photographer out of Syria, activist says

British photographer Paul Conroy, who was wounded in an attack in Syria that left two other journalists dead last week, has been smuggled out of the country and is now safe in Lebanon, activist Wissam Tarif said Tuesday.

There is no word on the fate of wounded French journalist Edith Bouvier, or of the bodies of Marie Colvin and Remi Ochlik, who were killed in Homs.

Syrian activists "suffered and risked their lives" over the course of six nights to smuggle Conroy to a safe house in Lebanon, said Tarif, of the activist network Avaaz.

"Syrian activists wanted to help their friends who have been so bravely telling the story of the carnage in Homs," he said.

An additional 40 wounded people were smuggled out of the Baba Amr neighborhood of Homs, he said.

Colvin and Ochlik, both award-winning journalists, were killed on Wednesday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Syria • World
soundoff (5 Responses)
  1. leeintulsa

    "safe in lebanon". ya don't hear that often..

    February 28, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. high hopes

    Wow..

    It's great to wake up to good news!

    February 28, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

    I wish him the very best, and I hope he recovers from his experience quickly.
    WHat a brave man!

    February 28, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Portland tony

    I hope all the injured get out. These media folks have risked their lives just doin' their jobs...Problem I have is the news reporters becoming the stoy's headlines!

    February 28, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |