The Monkees' Davy Jones dead at 66
The Monkees' Davy Jones, shown here at the 2003 TV Land Awards, has died.
February 29th, 2012

The Monkees' Davy Jones dead at 66

[Updated at 2:55 p.m. ET]  Davy Jones, whose charming grin and British accent won the hearts of millions of fans on the 1960s television series "The Monkees," died Wednesday, according to the Martin County, Florida, sheriff's office. He was 66.

A witness told authorities he was with Jones in Indiantown, Florida, when Jones "began to complain of not feeling well and having trouble breathing," the sheriff's office said in a statement.

Jones was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, authorities said.

A Martin County law enforcement source with knowledge of the case said Jones apparently suffered a heart attack.

FULL STORY
  1. CenTexan©

Oh no....may he rest in peace.

February 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Todd Roberts

This is news?

February 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jj

Cnn still no mention of high gas on here?... When bush was in office thats all you guys could talk about. The anointed one is failing miserably on this issue and CNN does not want to talk about it. Surprise surprise...

February 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. groovy

Aww 🙁 He was my favorite Monkee. RIP Davy!

February 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

JUst so you know WE never said "grovy" back then.

February 29, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • You You

Nobody said grovy. WE said groovy.

February 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dreamer96

Day Dream Believer was a pop song but I liked it...

February 29, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Glenn

I bet Marsha Brady is inconsolable right now : ( RIP

February 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. a primatologist

Sad news, but he was not a monkey. He was an ape, just like the rest of us. And why is monkey spelled wrong?

February 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • MEME

The name of the group is not spelled wrong. That is how the group spelled it.

February 29, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jules

MEME: That was a joke. *rolling eyes*

February 29, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

For the record, Curious George was an ape too, not a monkey. Look at the illustrations, he clearly has no tail. Also, I always hated the man with the yellow hat, kidnapping George from his jungle home and forcing him to live in a city where he was certainly ill adapted. Sorry to go off the rails, but I needed to get that off my chest.

February 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I alsways found The Yellow Hat man a bit creepy, also...

February 29, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Hey Hey

This is so sad. May he rest in peace. I used to love that show growing up!!

February 29, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jenner

So bummed. RIP Davy. I'll treasure the memories of seeing you in concert.

February 29, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kake79

I'm so bummed... he was too young to go. I'm only 32 but I have always loved The Monkees. I grew up watching the program late at night on the weekends with my dad.

February 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. PEDO-BEAR

Sad day indeed. Even the PEDO-BEAR bows with respect. Davey will be missed.
    Sadly, Davey has taken the "Last Train to Clarksville."

May he rest in peace.

February 29, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Erin

So where is the extensive news coverage? In his day, he was huge? He also revolutionized the music/television industry!

February 29, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Alas, his 15 minutes were up back in the day, also...and he died of those pesky "Natural Causes"...

February 29, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fernace

Such sad news! I loved the Monkees, their show, Daydream Believer & Davy Jones when I was a pre-teen! 66 is too young to die, but he did make some of his dreams come true, so I hope he's at peace now! Their music was rock-pop, a genre still popular to this day! RIP, Davy! PS. I know how you feel BOMBO! I always thought Georges mischief was his statement that he didn't like where he was! Animals let us know all the time, when we f.u.k up! Like the cat that pees on your Bed, because you wont let her outside, or the dog that eats your blinds, because you leave it alone 8-10 hrs a day! That's my take anyway! Shame on the man in the Yellow Hat!!

February 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Condolences to his family and friends.
    Weird.
    I was flipping channels the other day and found the movie, "The Monkees In Paris."

One of my favorite songs when I was little wasa song called "I'd Like To Be With You". Had the single.
    It was sugary-sweet, but hey, I was 8....

February 29, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat) ©

Here we come
    Walking down the street.
    We get the funniest looks
    from everyone we meet.

I used to love that show.
    Now when I look back at it, it was such silly fun.
    Rest In Peace Davy. You brought a lot of smiles to a lot of us.

February 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Well, they were walking that walk that they learned from the "Ministry Of Silly Walks".

February 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |